Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pilot Super Sports 305/30/19 facts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Michelin will take them back if I do DE's with them? Say I go to Sebring for the weekend...2 days and I don't like the tires as DE tires (I'm sure they are awesome street tires)...they will have some serious wear for Advanced Solo/Instructors group...Michelin will take them back?

Everything I've read about the guarantee says no to track days. Just street miles. And even as slow as you are on the track, they can probably still tell
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Everything I've read about the guarantee says no to track days. Just street miles. And even as slow as you are on the track, they can probably still tell
See that is what I though about track days too....but Larry seemed to reply differently.

I have my bright red Sparco gloves ready for your point by if and when you catch up.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have my bright red Sparco gloves ready for your point by if and when you catch up.
Now that's funny
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Michelin will take them back if I do DE's with them? Say I go to Sebring for the weekend...2 days and I don't like the tires as DE tires (I'm sure they are awesome street tires)...they will have some serious wear for Advanced Solo/Instructors group...Michelin will take them back?
NO! ... warranty/return policy explicitly excludes any form of track driving, so if it is obvious that you have tracked em I doubt any dealer will honor it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a street tire not a track tire.

Unfortunately, the choices for track tires that can be driven on the street, are very slim. The crappy R888 (it heat cycles out with street use, I went through 3 sets in one year with the Fiat on street use, and 4 track days), the amazing RA-1 (now extinct for 18" sizes), the race spec MPSC (not too bad, but n/a on GT3 sizes), the crappy MPSC N-spec( low grip except the 3.8 RS and GT2RS rear tires), the crappy NT-01 (everything bad about the R888 at a cheaper price), the super expensive and short lasting Pirelli Trofeo, and the super crappy Pirelli Corsa System.

So, we need trailers, and R6, for good performance and decent lasting tires. If you want to go fast with any 997 GT3/ GT2, run 18" Michelin slicks from the 2011 GT3 Cup, 2 fast HC, 2 not so fast HC, then slower for another 4 HC, 1 set per weekend.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a street tire not a track tire. Unfortunately, the choices for track tires that can be driven on the street, are very slim. The crappy R888 (it heat cycles out with street use, I went through 3 sets in one year with the Fiat on street use, and 4 track days), the amazing RA-1 (now extinct for 18" sizes), the race spec MPSC (not too bad, but n/a on GT3 sizes), the crappy MPSC N-spec( low grip except the 3.8 RS and GT2RS rear tires), the crappy NT-01 (everything bad about the R888 at a cheaper price), the super expensive and short lasting Pirelli Trofeo, and the super crappy Pirelli Corsa System.

So, we need trailers, and R6, for good performance and decent lasting tires. If you want to go fast with any 997 GT3/ GT2, run 18" Michelin slicks from the 2011 GT3 Cup, 2 fast HC, 2 not so fast HC, then slower for another 4 HC, 1 set per weekend.
correct, but it does a pretty good job on-track, definitely not up to slicks/R-compound ... at least in the ballpark with Corsas/MPSC N spec ... somewhere between super crappy and crappy I believe!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Until I see the SCCA street tire Solo and ProSolo classes dominated by MPSS, I will wait.

So far, the Hankook RS-3 is the tire to beat, with the RE-11, R1R, ADV-08 and StarSpec following.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll grab some of my wife's "happy pills" and bring them to the track this weekend for you! I'll be driving the official most hate tire of Rennlist.
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a street tire not a track tire.

Unfortunately, the choices for track tires that can be driven on the street, are very slim. The crappy R888 (it heat cycles out with street use, I went through 3 sets in one year with the Fiat on street use, and 4 track days), the amazing RA-1 (now extinct for 18" sizes), the race spec MPSC (not too bad, but n/a on GT3 sizes), the crappy MPSC N-spec( low grip except the 3.8 RS and GT2RS rear tires), the crappy NT-01 (everything bad about the R888 at a cheaper price), the super expensive and short lasting Pirelli Trofeo, and the super crappy Pirelli Corsa System.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports 305/30/19 facts...