Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pccb to Brembo III update

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pccb to Brembo III update

Recently, on my 997.2 GT3 I switched the Pccbs to Brembo III w/ Rs 29 pads, a street and track combination that folks here have heartily recommended. My complaint with the Pccbs had been too soft at slow (cold) speeds, and some inconsistency when braking hard (with heat in them). The new set-up was $5K+ , but my mechanic who is a good friend gave me a very healthy discount on the labor. We spent some time bedding the pads, and I've put around 200 miles on the pads/rotors since installation.

The result? So far, I'd say "better" but not night and day better. The steel Brembos are much more linear, not on/off, and inspire more confidence when driving spiritedly. However, my chief annoyance has not changed so much. These giant rotors are so good at dissipating heat that they cool down very quickly and become soft in traffic. I've had multiple brake bleeds/flushes and I doubt there is air; I got ss lines. The Rs 29s may be the culprit, as a track pad they may need more heat than stop and go driving would allow. Naturally, I'm keeping these pads on for my next track outing in late June, but afterwards I may try a street pad for street driving, like the ones that were included with the front rotors (996 GT3 Oem pads according to model number).

BTW, the new rotors are obviously heavier than the ceramics, and seem to increase steering effort, but I tend to like that.

Anyway, feedback solicited.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With as simple as it is to swap pads, you may want to keep a pair of stock GT3 pads for the street and swap out or the track. Takes longer to pull the wheels off then to swap pads.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

The RS29s are too way hard for street use and downright dangerous when wet+cold. But they sure come to life at the track.

I think it's fair to say you won't find steel brakes that exceed the performance of ceramics. The best they can do is to match the ceramics' fade-free performance, which the Type IIIs do. I second your point on weight--I definitely thought the more light-footed with the ceramics. Can be placebo effect, who knows

For street use just get a set of OEM steel pads. Less dust, no squeal, and none of the on/off characteristics of the rS29s when cold...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

For street use just get a set of OEM steel pads. Less dust, no squeal, and none of the on/off characteristics of the rS29s when cold...
Thanks, do the regular Oem steel brake pads fit the Brembo IIIs? The front pads that came with them were model # 996-351-948-00.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Did you reuse OEM calipers? Just replaced rotors and hats?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Did you reuse OEM calipers? Just replaced rotors and hats?
Yes, I reused the OEM calipers from the Pccbs.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With braided lines and flushed with good fluid, I can't recommend anything first hand, but I'm planning on trying Endless. I'd suggest searching for various posts here on EBC and contact them directly to see what claims they make.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

As noted, the RS29 likes heat and it's the pad losing temperature not just the rotor dissipating the energy to the atmosphere that leads to that uncertain pedal feel where force and modulation bring different results. Not an issue on the track, but "weird" on the street.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I did not care for the Endless fluid; it gave the worst feel of the combinations I've tried so far (with Pccbs). Right now, I'm planning on switching to street pads, but I have not found the model number for the pads that fit the rear rotors.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:40 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i have 68 laps on the ring in my pccb equipped car plus 8 sessions on the gp track and then 2 days at porsches test track in leipzig. went through 3 sets of oem pads. rears go slightly faster than fronts, i'm on 4th set of rears. all oem. never use TC or SC unless in rain. the rotors are 0.01mm thinner than brand new. oh, also used the pads up! down to when wear indicators go. talked to manthey and two different porsche centers here. they would not know why you would change pads out before they are used up. at the rates that the oem steel calipers crack and the cost of aftermarket, i really don't think pccb's are such a bad value. i guess i'll see the next year if they wear any faster. so far, i'm very happy with pccb and not going back to steels!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
i have 68 laps on the ring in my pccb equipped car plus 8 sessions on the gp track and then 2 days at porsches test track in leipzig. went through 3 sets of oem pads. rears go slightly faster than fronts, i'm on 4th set of rears. all oem. never use TC or SC unless in rain. the rotors are 0.01mm thinner than brand new. oh, also used the pads up! down to when wear indicators go. talked to manthey and two different porsche centers here. they would not know why you would change pads out before they are used up. at the rates that the oem steel calipers crack and the cost of aftermarket, i really don't think pccb's are such a bad value. i guess i'll see the next year if they wear any faster. so far, i'm very happy with pccb and not going back to steels!
I'm guessing your English is a lot better than my Deutsch, so please indulge me in elaborating on what you've posted about PCCBs versus steels, especially in terms of cost and durability. It sounds like you've had about about the equivalent of six or maybe ten track days -- it's hard to compare laps at the ring versus a typical track since the ring is intense and hard on brakes. You've replaced the pads four times and the rotors are still the original units.

That's about consistent with my experience -- for ten to twenty track days, the rotors are fine and pad wear is expensive.

The more the front pads wear, the faster they "wedge" until the risk is having the leading edge of the pad backing plate destroy the rotor before the wear indicator sounds the alarm.

My concern is that when the rotors reach a threshold of wear (somewhere around 20 days) the outer friction surface deteriorates, abrasion accelerates, the thin laminate outer layer decomposes and the rotor is lost.) This is not a matter of anecdote, driver-error or hearsay, it's been happening with each "generation" of PCCB since the glorious, infamous 996 GT2 circa 2002.

If there are drivers out there running PCCBs on the track for more than one year and more than 20 or say 30 days driven at serious pace (let's says within five seconds per minute of lap records for a GT3 street car at the given venue) then I'm sure a lot of PCCB owners with their US$20K paperweights would like to know they've simply got a defective product due to production line quality issues, which should be replaced under warranty.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

This never gets old.......

PCCB belong on bubble wrapped cars......or people with less track time or endless money
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am surprised. No issues with my RS 29 pads on the street - although my RS is not driven in winter. I use them for track and on the drive to and from without a problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am surprised. No issues with my RS 29 pads on the street - although my RS is not driven in winter. I use them for track and on the drive to and from without a problem.
It's not really something like a problem but I feel that RS29 Pagids have a mushier feel to them than for example stock pads....longer pedal and then when they connect with the rotor a soft feel.

I drive to the track on my RS29's too and that is where I'm comparing them. I never track my street pads.

I don't have a stopping issue with RS29's on drive over to Sebring from Tampa or on the track...they just feel softer than stock pads.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I don't have a stopping issue with RS29's on drive over to Sebring from Tampa or on the track...they just feel softer than stock pads.
That is exactly my experience, soft when cruising on the street, but great when hot. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Pccb to Brembo III update