Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Gen worth $30K more?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skl
If the 991 is going to be bigger and heavier I think I'll stay with the 997 thank you...
It would be nice if Porsche took a page from their Cayenne book and made the new model 400 lbs lighter . . .
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssort
value of 3.8 car will take a hit when the 4.0 is out just like the 3.6 did when the 3.8 arrived.........
exactly...wait 4-6mos and 30k becomes 15k....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't know if it will drop that much... The thing is 4.0 is limited production and only 126 will make it to US.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
If you're going to keep it for a long time, then all the more reason to get the newer car. Unless of course you can't afford it right now, then you have two choices. Wait and get the car you want, or get the earlier version now. You can't go wrong either way. I prefer the newer one though. Except for the center locks
+1 on the CL's being a pain.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought a cl. the best bottle-opener i own.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DLJ
+1 on the CL's being a pain.
I do not think they are any harder than 5 lug....you just have to get used to them

To OP

I have had both cars....997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3RS

Is you drive on the street and track ocassionaly....get a non RS 997.2, make sure it has buckets seats and dynamic mounts.

If track only get a 997.2 RS

More warranty is one of many reasons (but an important one)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
If you're going to keep it for a long time, then all the more reason to get the newer car. Unless of course you can't afford it right now, then you have two choices. Wait and get the car you want, or get the earlier version now. You can't go wrong either way. I prefer the newer one though. Except for the center locks
Life is too short. Don't wait. Get the car you can afford today. In a few years the 997.2 will be the runt of the group - it will never end.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
Life is too short. Don't wait. Get the car you can afford today. In a few years the 997.2 will be the runt of the group - it will never end.
I think Porsche's performance improves so much faster than the average driver's skills improve. A 997.1 GT3 is over kill for our public roads, but it is obviously fantastic for the track. However there are still people out there who are driving too much car on the track for their own skill set.

Yesterday I got to ride along with several more powerful cars than my '97 993C2 at the track. I got to ride with someone in a 997.1 GT3RS (owner is a rookie track day driver), a 996 GT3 (owner is an intermediate track day driver) and a 997.1 GT3 (owner is a skilled driver with some racing experience). I could tell the 997.1 GT3RS was a special car, but I pass this fellow in my 993C2 all the time at the track as I am able to push my 993 close to the car's limits while the rookie GT3RS owner still has much to learn about his car on the track. The 996 GT3 was the most confusing as I was expecting so much more. Not so much in speed as I knew the driver has intermediate track skills (I pass him on the track, but I need to drive hard to make the pass), but the sound of the 996 GT3 disappointed me. I was thinking my next Porsche, if I can afford to buy a next Porsche would be a 996 GT3, but now I am not so sure. The 997.1 GT3 with the skilled driver was a treat as I really got to see what these cars can do on the track when someone who knows what they are doing is behind the wheel. I can only imagine what a GT3 RS 4.0 (or better yet a Cup car) must be like when a skilled driver is at the wheel.

I am not saying people should not be buying what they want and can afford to buy. But unless people are skilled track day drivers, they might actually be hurting their progression by buying more car than their current skill set.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I think Porsche's performance improves so much faster than the average driver's skills improve. A 997.1 GT3 is over kill for our public roads, but it is obviously fantastic for the track. However there are still people out there who are driving too much car on the track for their own skill set.

Yesterday I got to ride along with several more powerful cars than my '97 993C2 at the track. I got to ride with someone in a 997.1 GT3RS (owner is a rookie track day driver), a 996 GT3 (owner is an intermediate track day driver) and a 997.1 GT3 (owner is a skilled driver with some racing experience). I could tell the 997.1 GT3RS was a special car, but I pass this fellow in my 993C2 all the time at the track as I am able to push my 993 close to the car's limits while the rookie GT3RS owner still has much to learn about his car on the track. The 996 GT3 was the most confusing as I was expecting so much more. Not so much in speed as I knew the driver has intermediate track skills (I pass him on the track, but I need to drive hard to make the pass), but the sound of the 996 GT3 disappointed me. I was thinking my next Porsche, if I can afford to buy a next Porsche would be a 996 GT3, but now I am not so sure. The 997.1 GT3 with the skilled driver was a treat as I really got to see what these cars can do on the track when someone who knows what they are doing is behind the wheel. I can only imagine what a GT3 RS 4.0 (or better yet a Cup car) must be like when a skilled driver is at the wheel.

I am not saying people should not be buying what they want and can afford to buy. But unless people are skilled track day drivers, they might actually be hurting their progression by buying more car than their current skill set.
I wouldn't exactly say it's hurting their progression, rather these cars are making them look better than they are

If there are good examples out there (better drivers with same cars) they can see what the car can do and set their goals accordingly. I do the same, I'm an intermediate and seeing what people like Reter, Eric and Juan can do I can compare my skill.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2

Some people have bought GT3's just for the cars and aren't really interested in prefecting their driving skills. They mostly just want to enjoy thier cars and do the occasion track days just for the hell of it.
I say if you want the 997.2 and can afford the extra cost than fill your boots, it's your money.

As far as the question about the extra $30k for the 997.2 over the 997.1 well that's up the the purchaser. I don't think it's worth it but I bought one because I wanted it, no other reason.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... I have decided to wait a few months and see what happens. I plan on keeping the car forever, so I am not in a hurry. I think the Gen 1 or Gen 2 is enough car, but I always wanted a 3.8L 911. I think it will be worth the wait. Also, I can spend the extra $30k having fun on the track... Best to all again!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Thanks guys... I have decided to wait a few months and see what happens. I plan on keeping the car forever, so I am not in a hurry. I think the Gen 1 or Gen 2 is enough car, but I always wanted a 3.8L 911. I think it will be worth the wait. Also, I can spend the extra $30k having fun on the track... Best to all again!
$30k makes for a nice track budget You have a PM...

Quick Reply: GT3 Gen worth $30K more?