Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving a GT3 Cup... What an Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FTS
I do not really know the facts; however, I think part of the assumption behind this statement is there is only one Porsche company. However, PCNA, PMNA, PAG (and even PSDS maybe) are all different companies with different accounting. I suspect they have agreements between all of these entities about knowledge, asset and technical information transfer, but I doubt highly that PCNA is getting anything for free, in fact I am pretty sure, they are paying for the cars, just not MSRP
I'm not implying they are getting cup cars for free, but they damn sure aren't paying what you or I would be for them. Being that Porsche has one of the higher margins in auto brands, I have to believe they are getting these cars for considerably less than what Joe Blow is paying for them. Realistically it's probably some sort of lease from the factory where they return and resell when no longer being used for the school.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not implying they are getting cup cars for free, but they damn sure aren't paying what you or I would be for them. Being that Porsche has one of the higher margins in auto brands, I have to believe they are getting these cars for considerably less than what Joe Blow is paying for them. Realistically it's probably some sort of lease from the factory where they return and resell when no longer being used for the school.
A couple of years ago, someone at PSDS addressed a question from the class to the effect of "What happens to these 911's and how often are they updated?" This was just as PDK took over in '09. The answer was quite surprising -- the cars arrive as normal, no special treatment. So I imagine that means the cost to PSDS is the approximate "invoice" (of course, that number is not really what one might think of as "cost" or a normal invoice.)

After a year or two on the track, they're given fresh brake pads and tires, some sort of inspection, then sold as second-hand cars owned by Porsche with no special mention of their life as training cars.

It was explained that PAG insists that PSDS treat the cars as per normal -- no brake fluid bleeds, let alone a flush, even when PSM boils the rears with monotonous consistency. Tire pressures must be at "placard" standard, not reduced pressures as they heat up on track. So the tires run at 50+ psi hot. The cars still handle reasonably well for the purpose, but the Carrera S was really struggling with its extra weight as the PS2's cook.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
1198r: 2010-2011 Cups are based on mk2 RS...wide-body vs. 09 and older based on narrow-body std. GT3. only difference btwn the 10 and 11, is that 11 has slightly higher gearing (faster acceleration) and comes standard w/fuel cell. Price difference is about $15-20k. Maintenance is the same for '05 1/2 - '11 cups (997). No difference there. 996 cups are cheaper to maintain, as tranny is H-shifter vs. sequential and doesn't require rebuilds as often.
this question gets asked quite often, but answers differ a lot. how much does actual 996 cup maintenance cost, maintenance alone, not taking to consideration logistics, track support, lodging, just car repairs, tune-ups, parts, etc?

base of the question - i really want to understand well what is it budget-wise to own an old 996 cup, say, compared to stripped down 996 gt3 car. how often parts will go and which ones if we compare 996 cup to 996 gt3? axles, gears, bearings? which ones? shafts? anything else? i would plan to run this car for at least 5 years after i buy it as i am not a rockefeller.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
What I'd like to know is if the instruction is any better in the cup car course versus the regular PSDS courses.
This is not to say that the instruction was bad, but it definitely is corporate instruction tailored to the Porsche customer. Is the cup instruction that last 2/10ths that the Masters course left out?
In the "Cup Class" you get an instructor in the passenger seat for the duration, regardless of the car. Turbo, GT3, Cup.

Quick Reply: Driving a GT3 Cup... What an Experience