RSR styling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
....not an RSR, but a metal widebody conversion with OEM Cup decklid. (also Gemballa Carbon fiber hood, Gemballa side skirts, Porsche Motorsports roll cage, StopTech STR brakes, HRE wheels, alcantara GT2 seats, K40 Calibre, and a bunch of other stuff)

This conversion cost considerably more than $40K.

Dan

It very interesting that they implemented the MAF in the cup intake.
Well done.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:30 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The intake is interesting. I wonder if the removal of the vent fan has consequences for a street car.
I've been asked this question many times. Short answer is "no", at least not when I'm driving it. Longer answer is this. Whenever the engine is calling for the vent fan to run due to heat, it gives me a "vent fan failure" message on my dash board. In the 3 years that I have owned this car, I've seen this message about 5 times. Those were the rare times I was caught in a bunch of stoplights in the hottest of summer. (I live in SC). Even then, the error light went away as soon as I started driving again.

Aside from that, the engine never calls for the vent fan to run while the car is in motion. So I have never seen that error message at the track.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Did you have the coolant and power steering fittings resealed?

Now this is a queston I usually never get asked. Actually, I have had some of the coolant fittings resealed as well as replaced some of the hoses and converted over to H2O and water wetter at the same time. I don't think I had this done to the power steering fittings, but the previous owner may have. ..........................Why do you ask?

Dan
Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
It very interesting that they implemented the MAF in the cup intake.
Well done.

Thanks a lot 911SLOW, ......you're very observant. I had Synergy Racing perform the Cup intake as well as the suspension work on this car, and I believe they did a real good job. This is back when Kerrigan was still in charge of their racing operations at VIR.

Dan
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been asked this question many times. Short answer is "no", at least not when I'm driving it. Longer answer is this. Whenever the engine is calling for the vent fan to run due to heat, it gives me a "vent fan failure" message on my dash board. In the 3 years that I have owned this car, I've seen this message about 5 times. Those were the rare times I was caught in a bunch of stoplights in the hottest of summer. (I live in SC). Even then, the error light went away as soon as I started driving again.

Aside from that, the engine never calls for the vent fan to run while the car is in motion. So I have never seen that error message at the track.

Now this is a queston I usually never get asked. Actually, I have had some of the coolant fittings resealed as well as replaced some of the hoses and converted over to H2O and water wetter at the same time. I don't think I had this done to the power steering fittings, but the previous owner may have. ..........................Why do you ask?

Dan
Interesting about the error message on the fan -- that's a great way to confirm it's a non-issue.

As for the fluid connections, who know, but they seem to fail and the design is pathetic. The glue/epoxy/sealant appears to harden and deteriorate, perhaps due to heat or track conditions or mechanical forces (hoses moving around in an engine moving around in a car moving around on a track.) It happens at 2000 miles, it can happen at any time or so it seems. I took the precaution to go to Wetter, too. If I keep this 3.8 or go the 4.0, either way, I expect to take the Wetter precaution and to monitor the hoses with an eye to having them all resealed as a preventative measure. Given the prospect of 100 mph into a concrete barrier with fluids under the rear tires versus the dollars to fix what should never have been "broke" in the first place, I'll take the more "death-averse" alternative.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

....not an RSR, but a metal widebody conversion with OEM Cup decklid...

Dan
Congratulations Dan -- that's a truly awesome looking GT3!

Quick message for Andreas Preuninger and the team of Porsche's elite motorsport engineers working on the 991 GT3... that is what a W-I-D-E-B-O-D-Y should look like!

...how do you like them apples?

Quick Reply: RSR styling?