Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gen 1 vs Gen 2 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both series 1RS and series 2RS cars. The series 1 is easier to drive on the road. It is easier to heel and toe in the series 1. I cannot reach the accelerator when I try to heel and toe in the series 2. When I blip the throttle on the series 2 the revs hardly rise to match the revs when downchanging on the street. On the track the series 2 is fine because you are pressing the brake pedal a great deal harder, and you are at higher revs, so the revs will rise when you blip the throttle.
I prefer driving the series 1 on the road.
The series 1 also has a distinct difference in feel when you switch on the PASM. It is much more track focused with the stiffer suspension.

Everyone goes on about the increased downforce on the series 2. What no one mentions is the fact that the series 1 cars are delivered with a +ve angle on the rear wing. Therefore you have very little downforce on the rear. The rear spoiler is adjustable and you can get up to 12 degrees on the rear wing. Would be nice if someone compared the downforce of a series 1 with full wing angle, with the fixed series 2 wing.
The only positive on the series 2 is the gearing, low down torque and brakes.
Easy fix on a series 1 is
- brembo 380mm front discs
- 996 cup diff to change ratios

Hope this helps

Ciao

Krash
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS LOVER
I have both series 1RS and series 2RS cars. The series 1 is easier to drive on the road. It is easier to heel and toe in the series 1. I cannot reach the accelerator when I try to heel and toe in the series 2. When I blip the throttle on the series 2 the revs hardly rise to match the revs when downchanging on the street. On the track the series 2 is fine because you are pressing the brake pedal a great deal harder, and you are at higher revs, so the revs will rise when you blip the throttle.
I prefer driving the series 1 on the road.
The series 1 also has a distinct difference in feel when you switch on the PASM. It is much more track focused with the stiffer suspension.

Everyone goes on about the increased downforce on the series 2. What no one mentions is the fact that the series 1 cars are delivered with a +ve angle on the rear wing. Therefore you have very little downforce on the rear. The rear spoiler is adjustable and you can get up to 12 degrees on the rear wing. Would be nice if someone compared the downforce of a series 1 with full wing angle, with the fixed series 2 wing.

Hope this helps

Ciao

Krash

Very true on the .1 downforce. Stick a Cup front lip and max-attack the rear wing and there's nothing in it.

Plus I think it would be fairly straightforward to make a .1 quicker than a stock .2 around a track using hardware only (excluding tires). Would cost some money - but doable. Go further and you can probably match the .2RS and, if you go 3.9/4.0, maybe even the new 4.0RS...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

$30K is nothing for the new Technology and ultimately a newer car.

The difference for us down here in the never land is $100K USD.

Now that's a real tough decision to make.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS LOVER
Hope this helps

Ciao

Krash
this is not correct.
a cup diff does not change gear ratios.
you can change the lock up characterisitics and durability of the diff, but this does nothing for gear ratios.

Originally Posted by bmardini
Very true on the .1 downforce. Stick a Cup front lip and max-attack the rear wing and there's nothing in it.

Plus I think it would be fairly straightforward to make a .1 quicker than a stock .2 around a track using hardware only (excluding tires). Would cost some money - but doable. Go further and you can probably match the .2RS and, if you go 3.9/4.0, maybe even the new 4.0RS...
Having redone my complete gear box (ring and pinion, 1-4 gears, 2 piece main shaft, etc) I can say with certainty that the price delta between .1RS and .2RS is worth it when compared to properly gearing a .1RS for track work... I am not saying that the price of the gearbox mods is more than the delta, but close enough that in my mind at least, it is worth going .2 for the gearing and other benefits.

Originally Posted by Condor Man
$30K is nothing for the new Technology and ultimately a newer car.
AGREED Condor

1.RS at 95K vs a .2RS at 120 is a no brainer .2RS buy if you are not hitting your budget ceiling at $95K... I view the delta to be 20-30K depending on which cars etc... The .2 was not out when I bought my secondhand .1RS... but if I add up the receipts (I stopped doing that) from my .1 mods, I would have been better off waiting for .2 RS car and I would have bought mooty's and been financially ahead... BUT I would have lost a whole track season (unaccpetable).

That being said, I personally find the looks of the .1RS more attractive and for some reason the FIRST USA RS has some allure to me...

from a pure performance and value perspective the .2RS makes more sense at $120ish than a .1RS at $95+ -- given that you will try to make the .1 perform on par with the .2

For street driving, I would buy the .1RS, no mods, and save the money... you will never really notice the perfomance difference on the street with the exception of a bit more torque from the 3.8...by a bit more torque, not enough to justify the delta IMHO.

For track work (save for the centerlocks), the .2 is superior and worth the increased cost when compared to trying to get a .1RS to a comparable performance level by modifying.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
Hi all,

Looking to get opinions on whether to get an 07 GT3RS or a 10/11 GT3RS.

I am finding Gen 1 GT3RS in the 80-95K range and Gen 2 GT3RS for 115-125K. So, a 30K difference. I can swallow the 30k if it is worth it

Are both cars wide body? I understand the hp difference. Also Fastestlaps.com hast the Gen 2 beating the Gen 1 pretty well on most tracks.

Please chime in with opinions.

Thanks...
The 2010/11 (3.8) GT3 RS is superior to the 2007/8 (3.6) RS in every way!

Chalk and cheese.
The 3.6 RS is Danny DeVito to the 3.8's Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Fantasia's hippo ballerina to Natalie Portman's Black Swan.
A farty volcano in Iceland compared to the towering majesty of Everest.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Chalk and cheese.

with the same suspension mounts/chassis, wheel base and tub i wouldnt say chalk and cheese.....
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Chalk and cheese.
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
with the same suspension mounts/chassis, wheel base and tub i wouldnt say chalk and cheese.....
Chalk and cheese, I tell you! From the ridiculous to the sublime!
Parking lot autocross compared to 24hrs at Nurburgring!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Chalk and cheese.
So with these excellent metaphors you are basically saying that you've got to have "kangaroos loose in the top paddock" to get the earlier car..
Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
this is not correct.

Having redone my complete gear box (ring and pinion, 1-4 gears, 2 piece main shaft, etc) I can say with certainty that the price delta between .1RS and .2RS is worth it when compared to properly gearing a .1RS for track work... I am not saying that the price of the gearbox mods is more than the delta, but close enough that in my mind at least, it is worth going .2 for the gearing and other benefits.
Doing the whole gearbox is a big mod!!!

I wonder if there is a laptime comparison of the gen 1 vs gen 2
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I wonder if there is a laptime comparison of the gen 1 vs gen 2
I believe 2 seconds / same driver at Sebring.....stock to stock, no cheater mods, no blown LSD, same rubber, no advanced aero, stock suspension set-up

Rubber / LSD / gearing equlizes one or the other way
Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Izzone
I believe 2 seconds / same driver at Sebring.....stock to stock, no cheater mods, no blown LSD, same rubber, no advanced aero, stock suspension set-up

Rubber / LSD / gearing equlizes one or the other way
Ya I found some comparisons.

Anyyyywayyyy, I think to modify a .1 to run 2 seconds a lap quicker than it currently does is not so difficult.

The incremental marketing grates on me. $10-$15k for every second quicker on a 2 minute track.

Yes I know newer car, etc. But Porsche always sells it as "our best performing car EVER". Which it is... at the time... aargh.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes...but so worth it imho...

I did just the ring and pinion on my prior 996-3 and went a little overboard so to speak on my RS...

regearing exponentially increases my on track enjoyment level.

If I stay true to plan and keep this car for a long time, I will have no regrets on the layout for the gearing.

stock .1RS gearing is far too long imho
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
So with these excellent metaphors you are basically saying that you've got to have "kangaroos loose in the top paddock" to get the earlier car..
I think it was Preuninger himself who coined the phrase "only a Drongo would buy a 3.6 RS!"

Anyway, the 3.8 has LED tail-lights! Does it get any better than that?! I mean, look how much better the navigation system is for entering destinations? And the headlights turn left and right with the steering wheel -- that's friggin' genius!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
yes...but so worth it imho...

I did just the ring and pinion on my prior 996-3 and went a little overboard so to speak on my RS...

regearing exponentially increases my on track enjoyment level.

If I stay true to plan and keep this car for a long time, I will have no regrets on the layout for the gearing.

stock .1RS gearing is far too long imho
I agree 100% about the gearing - I see 5th gear only rarely on track.

But wouldn't just going to a 3.89 R&P do it? Why the whole box?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I agree 100% about the gearing - I see 5th gear only rarely on track.

But wouldn't just going to a 3.89 R&P do it? Why the whole box?
It seems to me the box needs to bring the long-legged 5th and 6th down to close ratios above 4th and 5th, then gear the car for a top speed of about 160 mph. I never get anywhere near 160 (maybe if I ran Fontana and wanted to risk life and limb around the outside of Fontana up on the oval) but I see some east coast tracks where cars are rev-limited in 6th (in Cup cars.) Still, a bump off the rev-limiter in 6th, unless you're wanting to win an enduro, doesn't seem like a bad compromise.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 vs Gen 2 GT3RS