Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: What to do?
Just keep re-- wrapping vinyl in some dark color; wont' have to wash car anymore.
5.26%
Get car custom clear wrapped. XYZ is sooper dooper and they warranty is against yellowing.
52.63%
Cheap kit for the worst area's; Puzzle is look is the new black, just re-apply annually when yellow.
15.79%
Just paint the car when you get ready to sell; It will be worthless anyway.
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Clear bra on white car

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I would take the vinyl wrap off the car and just do 3M clear bra on the front. Wraps do not last very long. The front, hood and mirrors are the only parts that will get any derbris damage. White paint is so easy to take care of so I would not worry about the rest of the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

My brother will test this paint protection spray-on stuff this weekend at Sebring. Doubt it will be able to protect pain. OK for bugs and black marks perhaps.

I can't upload pictures?

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 05-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Still can't upload pics..
Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How do you precut the vinyl? Isn't it a lot of work to cover the whole front of the car?
Doesn't take too much effort; I'm not trying to get a perfect look since it's coming off in between track days. I just tape a big sheet of parchment paper (semi transparent, so I can see where the lines are) on to the bumper, hood, etc., and use a felt pen to draw an outline of where I want to cut. Then I use the parchment paper as a template for cutting the vinyl. You can use a little blow dryer to get the vinyl to stretch around curved surfaces. The larger the sheet, the better it sticks. So I don't worry too much about little bubbles or perfect alignment:
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Pete, sacrificial layer is a must for the number of track days you do... Clear bra, front and sides plus trailing edges of rear wheel arches... Rear bar cops heat and any product will yellow eventually... By the same token, the rear bar doesn't cop much gravel rash, just lots of tar from the turbulence behind the car...

Thereafter, just replace individual pieces as required... Better a $1k on bra maintenance every couple of years then thousands of dollars respraying over the same period- white is a bitch to respray, lots of blending required... not worth the pain!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

White is always worth whatever pains it brings!

Oops, wrong thread!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Doesn't take too much effort; I'm not trying to get a perfect look since it's coming off in between track days. I just tape a big sheet of parchment paper (semi transparent, so I can see where the lines are) on to the bumper, hood, etc., and use a felt pen to draw an outline of where I want to cut. Then I use the parchment paper as a template for cutting the vinyl. You can use a little blow dryer to get the vinyl to stretch around curved surfaces. The larger the sheet, the better it sticks. So I don't worry too much about little bubbles or perfect alignment:
Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to sell car-specific pre-cut kits...

The basic need is indeed of protection so definitely a DIY.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

For those that are having issues with clear bra, what is happening to it? I had clear bra on my 996 that was 4 years old and looked great. Saw a number of track days. The CB on my 997 is about a year old now, with a bunch of track days. Again, still looks fine. However, the yellowing isn't really an issue for me
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
in that case, pre cut 3m every year would do the trick.
dont forget front of rear wheel arch.
I have a guy. He normally cuts them in flat black, but I'm sure he can do them in whatever color you want.

Quick Reply: Clear bra on white car