Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: What to do?
Just keep re-- wrapping vinyl in some dark color; wont' have to wash car anymore.
5.26%
Get car custom clear wrapped. XYZ is sooper dooper and they warranty is against yellowing.
52.63%
Cheap kit for the worst area's; Puzzle is look is the new black, just re-apply annually when yellow.
15.79%
Just paint the car when you get ready to sell; It will be worthless anyway.
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Clear bra on white car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, I sent you a PM
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the new 3M clear material. It looks great and does not yellow. However, it is very difficult to get the bugs and rubber of it without leaving some markings.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Premier Atousupershield in Boca. Pepe is the best! They did my 3M (full front only) when my car was new in November and they do all high-end work and definitely NOT a fly by night operation. As far as yellowing I can't tell- covered vs non covered surfaces after 7 months are still the same shade of black on my car The 3m also has a clearcoat in it so its 'buffable' and a little squirt of liquid wax cleans the track goo and bug juice perfectly. I've had zero problems and these guys would probably do a deal on more than one car.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Premier Atousupershield in Boca. Pepe is the best!
I'll be there at 3:30PM tomorrow to redo my windshield, I have a weird "wet look" streaks under the film. Crazy, I seen him putting it on and he made sure it was super clean.

I will ask for a price to do both.
Custom full wrap remove lights, bumpers etc for the entire car minus lights, mirrors and rear spoiler (Already done) and rear decklid (Not needed) VS just throw on some pre cut pieces.

I got a price when the car was new but it was much more then the Vinyl wrap, I did not want to sepnd so much knowing it gets yellow anyway, but got the same result or worse with the Vinyl..

Probably just price out cheapest pre cut 3m and call it a day.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Bear in mind, wraps just don't last. Especially under harsh conditions. I have two wrapped cars for business. The sun and heat really do a number on the film. Both of mine are impossible to clean at this point as well. They still look "okay", but then again they're not white. Wraps crack and peel, nature of the beast. They do keep the paint looking great underneath if applied properly, but I certainly wouldn't expect the look or wearability (is that a real word) of a good paint job.

I vote to clear bra the exposed parts and get rid of the wrap. I have clear bra on my point one. We wrapped the bumper mirrors, and hood. To do it over again, I would have done the whole hood though as I still manage to get hit with stuff past the bra.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I wonder how the Matte film form Premier holds up to track abuse

It looks so nice
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm done with the matte
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm done with the matte
3M pre cut it is.....thats whats on my old car

Check email
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
Premier Atousupershield in Boca. Pepe is the best! They did my 3M (full front only) when my car was new in November and they do all high-end work and definitely NOT a fly by night operation. As far as yellowing I can't tell- covered vs non covered surfaces after 7 months are still the same shade of black on my car The 3m also has a clearcoat in it so its 'buffable' and a little squirt of liquid wax cleans the track goo and bug juice perfectly. I've had zero problems and these guys would probably do a deal on more than one car.
I can vouch for Pepe as well, I had my previous S done by him. Great work!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,811 Likes on 2,381 Posts

OMG, reter, your car very ugly.
must pull flim off.
i have always had clr film on my p cars.
they dont last. no matter what.
then i raced BSR. and found track rash is really sexy.
as much as u track, i would just go naked.
the CAR, not you. i dont want to go blind.

for street car, sure, film it.
but with all the track mile u the rest of the FL nuts do, just go naked.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree - naked, then repaint when you need to.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I look at my old Mustang, my GT3 and even now on my RS, the more I look at it, the more I can't imagine leaving the front and sides naked.

I'd have to repaint every 6 months or the car will rust! Sebring is worse then any track, my cars are completely shotblasted!

I'm leaning towards a slap on pre-cut, covering as much as possible and live with the black lines everywhere. As long as it is cheap so I can replace it when it looks like hell.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just for comparison... mine is 2yrs old, 12K miles, and ~25 track days.

Don't have clear bra (heard too many stories re: yellowing). Don't have vinyl wrap (not worth the cost). Instead, I buy stock reusable vinyl in large sheets and cut the "jigsaw" pieces out for track days only. It's the same material used to make reusable vinyl numbers.

In the picture below, you can see the white vinyl across the front bumper that starts at the left turn signal. This is just one of the many jigsaw pieces that I use.

Anyway, it's cheap, doesn't yellow, makes clean up a breeze, and the results are practically "good as new" paint condition. I'm pretty sure that my budget for reusable vinyl is well below the cost of film or wrap. Just saying... You didn't have a poll answer for "repainting followed by resuable vinyl"

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
That spray on plastic seems like it might be a solution for the black rocker panels on an RS, too late for mine now, but I wonder if it would save them?

How do you precut the vinyl? Isn't it a lot of work to cover the whole front of the car?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,811 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I look at my old Mustang, my GT3 and even now on my RS, the more I look at it, the more I can't imagine leaving the front and sides naked.

I'd have to repaint every 6 months or the car will rust! Sebring is worse then any track, my cars are completely shotblasted!

I'm leaning towards a slap on pre-cut, covering as much as possible and live with the black lines everywhere. As long as it is cheap so I can replace it when it looks like hell.
in that case, pre cut 3m every year would do the trick.
dont forget front of rear wheel arch.

Quick Reply: Clear bra on white car