Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Changed Mk2 rotors - Warning regarding ABS ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Mk2 rotors - Warning regarding ABS ring

So, after 15 track days, my oem rotors were due for a change. The procedure was straight forward, but when I removed and inspected the old rotors, I was shocked at how much track rubber had accumulated between the teeth of the ABS ring.

The ring was pretty much solidly filled up with rubber, I am amazed that the sensor could trigger off the edges.

I am not sure if this could be an inssue with "ice mode" but it is something those of us who regularly track our cars should be aware of.

I am not sure that this could be cleaned without removing the rotor, and, as we all know removing the rotor requires removing the calipers and dealing with the caliper bolt issue. Obviously, the fewer times we have to remove and replace the caliper botls, the better.

Boy I wish the folks at Porsche would listen up and give us the following "Special Edition" GT3

1) 5 stud wheels
2) studs to mount the calipers, or at least steel threaded inserts
3) rear calipers that don't require removal to replace the pads
4) welded or threaded coolant fittings
5) slotted, not drilled rotors.
6) adjustable drop links
7) toe links
8) a working diff

hmmm...that's it! Don't need fancy paint, don't need extra HP, don't need carbon fenders. Just basic common sense stuff. Go ahead, charge a bit more, we will pay! If I could have ordered all that in my car, it would have been worth a premium to me.

Anyone listening?

Last edited by rlips; 05-19-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happen to have any pics?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as you're creating a wish list, I'd like better calipers too. My brakes (big reds) are too squishy at the track. I've been told that the only solution is to buy a "race" big brake kit (Stop-Tech or Brembo), as they have a more robust caliper and piston design.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics would be good. I just pulled PCCBs off a 2010 RS and while there was more tire rubber in and around the hub (and in the rotor) than I would ever have imagined possible, it wasn't interfering with anything. I'll post pics as soon as I can get the camera near the laptop, probably over the weekend.

Also, in "ice mode" if the ABS wasn't getting absolutely perfect wheel speed sensor data, it would scream instantaneously.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM
rlips
Instructor

Sorry, I should have, but did not take pictures. It's pretty easy to spot, but you have to pull the rotors.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
As long as you're creating a wish list, I'd like better calipers too. My brakes (big reds) are too squishy at the track. I've been told that the only solution is to buy a "race" big brake kit (Stop-Tech or Brembo), as they have a more robust caliper and piston design.
Mine are squishy too

I miss my Stop Tech
Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Speaking of squishy brakes....on my lowly Carrera S I've notice that even on the street my Pagid RS29 Yellows feel mushy and get even more mushy at the track. My stock pads on the street feel more solid with a higher brake pedal feel. Odd?....I use fresh (bleed it before every event) Motul RBF660 brake fluid.

I think next pads I'm going to try something from Performance Friction or Endless.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
rlips
Instructor

Weird, I use RS29's and Motul600, no mushy feel for me.

Quick Reply: Changed Mk2 rotors - Warning regarding ABS ring