Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Seats & Harness' Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Seats & Harness' Again

I fought it as long as I could but threw in the towel and put the seats and harness' in my 2008 GT3. I really enjoy the covenience and comfort of not having the seats, harness' and bar in the way but at this point felt the trade offs were worth it.

I read in this forum (I think Larry Cable) that it is harder to buy the GT2 seats the second time around. It was for me. I had put the GT2 seats in my 997S but sold the car with the equipment (kicking myself) although it may have helped with the sale as the car sold in 1 day.

This time around I ended up going with Recaro Profi XL, Schroth Harness' and a RSS 901 bar.

I did like the GT2 seats but did not like how high they sat in the car and also heard they may not be good with a hans which I may end up getting in the future. If it were not for these two gripes I probably would have spent the additional $5000 and got them again.

I am happy with the seats although the looks of the OEM set up with GT2 seats and Porsche bar is hard to beat (last pic previous 997S).
Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Would u have a difficult time removing the fe? Neway if my car is on fire I'm getting the hell out- those 2 seconds to press a button or pull for the plumbed ones could be life and death. Mike
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Would u have a difficult time removing the fe? Neway if my car is on fire I'm getting the hell out- those 2 seconds to press a button or pull for the plumbed ones could be life and death. Mike
I can reach it while in my seat but I am with you and getting out. I had it mounted on the stock seat before and had the bar clamp from my previous car so thought I would put it in.

PCA used to require it but have since relaxed their rules.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I can reach it while in my seat but I am with you and getting out. I had it mounted on the stock seat before and had the bar clamp from my previous car so thought I would put it in.

PCA used to require it but have since relaxed their rules.
May i ask, what bar clamp or FE mount are you using?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DHI
May i ask, what bar clamp or FE mount are you using?
That is a Brey Krause quick release on a Brey Krause rollbar mount.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/fire_e...ts_porsche.php
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Those seats look great in my opinion.

Question though as I'm going through the sma ething with my car. Didnpt 08 GT3's come with side impact air bags in the stock seats? If so do you know that the car is no longer legal for street use now with the after market Recaro's? My dealer and insurance agent told me if I mess with the stock federally approved air bag system the car is no longer street legal. Also if I drove it on the street and got into an accident with aftermarket seats my insurance would not cover me and the lawyers would have a field day with me.
I'd rather have some Recaro or Sparco seats but can't chance losing everything by driving a car with a tampered air bag system.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

^ Considering the long drives to and from Sebring, driving to Homestead and the weekend driver not having airbags scared me and went with GT2 folding buckets.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heard they may not be good with a hans which I may end up getting in the future
Before you get a H&N restraint, check out some of the others on the market such as the Hybrid Pro Rage by Safety Solutions. You need to look at how the device protects you, not just in frontal impacts, but angular and side impacts as well. I do not sell safety equipment, so I have only MY neck in the game.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billstevens61
Before you get a H&N restraint, check out some of the others on the market such as the Hybrid Pro Rage by Safety Solutions. You need to look at how the device protects you, not just in frontal impacts, but angular and side impacts as well. I do not sell safety equipment, so I have only MY neck in the game.
Thank you. Will do.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sin911
^ Considering the long drives to and from Sebring, driving to Homestead and the weekend driver not having airbags scared me and went with GT2 folding buckets.
So you wouldn't drive the car because of the non side air bag or insurance purposes ?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a Brey Krause quick release on a Brey Krause rollbar mount.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/fire_e...ts_porsche.php
i found that most convinient FE mount is this one:
http://www.speedtactics.com/porsche_extinguisher.php

it mounts to seat bolts to the floor, not to the seat itself, so you can use it on passenger side.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Just a follow up to this install. A couple of things that I fogot about at the time of the initial install. I always try to think of everything ahead of time so I bring it up now in case anyone else is contemplating similar work.

If you are going with Recaro type seats do not forget the longer seatbelt receptacles and if you have a contact for the airbag warning light have them disable the seatbelt warning chime at the same time. It is right there in the same screen.

These two items slipped my mind a few weeks ago and yesterday I had the longer receptacles put in and also adjusted the seating position up one in the front. This is the setting the installer Anthony at RSS / Stuttgart Performance had recommended but I did not listen. He was right. The car is so much more comfortable (for me) it is like night and day. It also helps not having the receptacles digging into your upper leg area.

Speaking of RSS / Stuttgart I call Mike for an appt Wednesday and he asks can you be here at noon the following day. I show up at 11:45 and Anthony (tech) asks is it noon already? I say it is 11:45 I am a little early. This is going to be a while you wait appt because they are an hour and a half away from my home. Anthony says let me wash my hands and I will bring your car right in. He stops what he was working on and does exactly that. Do to the limited area around the seats it really is not that easy of a job and takes about an hour and a half to do.

When he is done he comes in and hands me the keys and Mike tells me you are good and do not owe us anything. I did insist on paying because I really do not have a history with them. He said fine 1 hour labor.

Really exceptional service there at RSS and I am really happy with the adjustments.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...elt-chime.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...eceptacle.html
Old 06-04-2011, 02:36 AM
79 911SC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I couldn't give up the seats and bar 996Toomey. New seats/bar look great, I'm glad you finally got that done. And thanks for the info on the seatbelt chime! Hope we can do a track day together sometime.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

any insurance company that tries to pull coverage because the car had the seats with air bags in them and now no longer has them is full of it.

as long as the wheel air bag and door air bag work the car is fine. Seats with air bags are not a manufacture legal requirement. It is a luxury feature in high end cars.

As long as the bag in the dash and wheel blow in an accident the insurance company cant say squat.

if the bags in the dash and wheel do not blow in an accident, then your insurance company will investigate and you have a problem only if personal injury is involved......
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

really? I'd love to believe that and have it in writing but a personal injury attorney (don't we have some on this forum that could chime in?) and my State Farm insurance agent told me otherwise. Us on these forums thinking this is all BS and what could be a ruling in the court of law is something I can't $$$afford$$$ to chance.

If this is indeed true that the thorax seat side impact air bags are not part of the cars air bag system and disabling them or as the lawyer called it tamper with them is BS I could be saved a heck of a lot of money. Too many people in the know have told me otherwise.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
any insurance company that tries to pull coverage because the car had the seats with air bags in them and now no longer has them is full of it.

as long as the wheel air bag and door air bag work the car is fine. Seats with air bags are not a manufacture legal requirement. It is a luxury feature in high end cars.

As long as the bag in the dash and wheel blow in an accident the insurance company cant say squat.

if the bags in the dash and wheel do not blow in an accident, then your insurance company will investigate and you have a problem only if personal injury is involved......

Quick Reply: Seats & Harness' Again