Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drop Links = “Wear Item”

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Links = “Wear Item”

While preparing my 2008 GT3 for an upcoming track event, I noticed that the drop link on the left front side was disconnected and bent (I failed to notice the one on the right front had been sheared in half).

I brought the car to the dealer. I informed the dealer that I had done some online research and have found that others have had an issue with this.

Dealer’s first line of defense was that he had never seen this. Did I run over something? “Porsche will not cover this under warranty.”

I request that the dealer check with Porsche NA. Next day, dealer gets back to me that this is a reasonably common occurrence with the GT3 with certain suspension settings and that Porsche’s position is that the drop links on this car are a “wear item”. No surprise on the end result (Porsche’s refusal to cover something), only surprised by the way they got to that conclusion.

What I have learned:

Drop Links = “Wear Item”

2008 GT3 = $110K…………Porsche Warranty = Worthless

There is a substitute!

PS: Check your drop links. I purchased aftermarket from Tarett Engineering.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I have had the drop link form my old car come off too

I will replace the new car with Tarett soon
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Put the service manager in a closed room and unleash your avatar. : )
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

That sucks!

If this is a common occurrence and not related to track then warranty should cover!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephen Fisher
There is a substitute!
Unfortunately no. That's why they can get away with all the douchebaggery.

If you have an amazing product the lack of good support will not affect sales that much. (I am talking about GTx cars, here. Plenty of alternatives to regular 911)

Maybe Lexus is good with warranty and service. I wouldn't know as just looking at one induces drowsiness.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Broken 2 before also, then switched to tarrett. Once from track curbing, once from hitting speed bump on street..... definitely not a warranty item.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
Broken 2 before also, then switched to tarrett. Once from track curbing, once from hitting speed bump on street..... definitely not a warranty item.
So just buy front an drear.....what exact part numbers

I will order ASAP
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

keep the nuts on em tight too
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
So just buy front an drear.....what exact part numbers

I will order ASAP
Here are fronts...no real need for rears

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm
Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

drop link IS a wear tear item
Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything with a bushing is potentially a wear item. Unless it breaks. In my humble. If it fails, it failed and warranty pertains to items which fail during the warranty period.

The 996 GT3 brought adjustable anti-roll bars to a production 911 and people were changing them as often as they changed their socks ... for some driver's, perhaps still not frequently enough.

I noticed cars coming in with drop links off or loose and damaged where the owner did not think this nut required a torque wrench -- it requires a "crow's foot" and a 3/8 torque wrench with a Torx bit to hold the threaded shaft, so that's a bit of a tedious setup to carry to the track, but there it is.

Once the "Nyloc" has had a few trips along the thread, it tends to lose its grip. Replacing the nyloc every so often, while expensive, is necessary. Over-tightening will tend to take out the "pinch" out of a pinch nut, so for anyone with pinch nuts (standard on the 996 from memory, but aftermarket parts usually revert to nylocs) you'll end up with a no-win situation. The common thing is to find a "habit" of "nut and bolt" checks where things like suspension links get a hefty wrenching when they should be hit with a torque wrench set to the correct level.

In my opinion, no component should fail. That the bar drop links fail with such frequency makes it irrefutable that the design is just plain wrong -- either the suspension travel or the stiffness of the anti-roll bar is overwhelming the drop link, which the factory should identify and upgrade.

I think that regional service inspectors for Porsche have lost their bearings (perhaps literally as well as figuratively.) Far too many warranty claims end up as trips into a bizarre, disconnected world which bears little resemblance to the factory marketing and claims about the GT3 cars.

If you're lucky, you have a "good" inspector in your region, if not, you'll experience these WTF? situations all too frequently. It should be a "luck of the draw" situation to get proper warranty support.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
rlips
Instructor

Mine broke after one track session with 300 miles on the car. The tarrett replacements have 18 track days on them so far with no issues. Highly recommended.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TRG also makes a very stout drop link. 3 seasons on mine and never any problems.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a couple of questions as I get ready to order OEM drop links to have in my track pack...

Where does the energy that wrecks a stock Porsche GT3 drop link go when some monster piece of after market metal is utilized instead? (Clearly not developed with the millions of dollars the manufacturer spends on engineering)

What more serious damage/wear/breakage, elsewhere on the car, could develop whereby Porsche feels these drop links are the sacrificial lambs?

Given the time the 996/997 cars have been manufactured wouldn't Porsche have, by now, upgraded the drop links if not intended to act as the first line of defense against the pounding the suspension takes on a daily basis for the long haul with a personal use car?

I wouldn't think that the "Cup Race cars use this" argument applies here as those cars are completely dissected and prepped for each outing. I do not know what the Porsche Motorsport drop links look like or how they differ from the street GT3s. Anyone know?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM
docdan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
I do not know what the Porsche Motorsport drop links look like or how they differ from the street GT3s. Anyone know?

Good question. Along those lines, does anybody know how the Porsche Motorsports drop links compare to the Tarrets?

Dan

Quick Reply: Drop Links = “Wear Item”