Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Adaptive Sport Seats in a 4.0 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Since I know that MANY people absolutely love those seats, I thought I would ask if it is better to get them and swap them or not get them. No more, no less, but feel free to keep giving opinions.
Originally Posted by quickxotica
But if you start with a Sport-Bucket car, won't some of the wiring be lacking that is required for the *** seats? Might not be a simple swap-n-go to get the *** all wired up & working if the car was built with Sport Buckets. Can anyone chime in?
I think Quickxotica (second quote) raises a good point re: OP question (first quote). A car optioned at production with Sport Buckets (option P03) will not come with wiring, fuses and console buttons required to operate *** (option P01). I think the wires & fuses necessary to 'plug in' the *** seats & make them operational could be easily done by a competent mechanic. The wiring & installation of correct 'button' for turning on/off the heated function on the front console will probably be harder to do if you want the correct 'factory' look. However, it could all be done - it is just a question of money spend to do it 'factory' correct. But it is not, to answer the specific question, a quick swap procedures of one set of seats for another.

With regards to Orthojoe's "Unfortunately my car (Spyder) was optioned with *** seats and there's not a day that goes by where I loathe those seats in my car." Ortho, I think you do NOT have *** seats. Your seats are most likely the normal 'Sport Leather Seats' with manual controls and non-adaptive features. It is option 'P77', not 'P01' - unless someone changed them in your Spyder after purchase.

I don't think US bound gt3 RS (4.0) will come with fire-resistant fabric seats like those optional in ROW, so I don't expect to see 4.0 stitching in the headrest area of whatever seat you choose for US. Don't know why Porsche can't 'emboss' other logos (e.g. 4.0) on the leather seat's headrests, but they only limit themselves to the Porsche crest on leather seats!

Statman- Given your that your brother will not keep this 4.0 for that long, I do think it IS worth it for him to order the Sport Buckets, stored these and swap-in one or two *** Sport Seats (which can be found relatively cheap in Classifieds). Hell, he might be even able to get a regular leather seat, perforated for air-condition ventilation in addition to heat. And it will accommodate better his larger frame. This will assure best resale since the next buyer will probably be looking for bucket sport seats in a gt3 RS 4.0. z356 (Carmel)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

for a guy that is 6'4 and 300lbs the stock standard seats or *** are the only option. He will NOT fit into Sport Bucket seats...no way no how.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get what he wants. although i would love to have a 4.0, i think this car will be bubble wrapped by many who buy. everyone that i know who is fighting for an allocation dont drive any of their cars and the car will never see the track.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a sad thread.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't remember if he had the 997.1 RS when we did our last track days (been a couple of years), I know we brought the scuderia and the R8, but he may have already sold the RS at that point. He has serious car ADD (the scuderia is still around but the R8 way gone along with the 16M, California, and 458 Italia). The 3.8RS never saw the track and was dumped when the rumors started about the 4.0RS. His 3.8RS maybe had 900 miles and he bought a Turbo S cab for winter daily driving. The Turbo S is gone and for some reason he has a regular 997S black edition cab until he gets his 4.0RS. I don't know, he is nuts, but I like driving all the cars around, ;-).
The Black Edition is not an S model.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Black Edition is not an S model.
OK, either way I was surprised to see such a pedestrian Porsche in his garage.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this is a sad thread.
Wow, if this is the saddest thing you encounter in any given day, I would say you live a charmed life. And I mean way more charmed than anyone contemplating a $200K+ toy purchase.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, either way I was surprised to see such a pedestrian Porsche in his garage.
Somewhat ironically, he'll take a bath on the Black Edition -- it's designed to sucker people into the entry level (only to find there's no free lunch.) He perhaps got a huge discount from the dealer as an interim measure and a one year lease (actually Porsche's current lease products have a better structure on the 24 month term even if returned early) so he had some wheels in lieu of a future purchase (and the depreciation curve on the Turbo S will surely be big dollar amount, so the sooner he got out of that elevator ride to the basement, the better.) In any case, he would have been better off in a GTS Cabrio -- more fun than just about any 911 today and assured of prominence on the secondary market by virtue of its unique designation, limited time available for sale and high equipment level with a separate starting MSRP (not an optioned C4S with Power Kit, which would have a $20K lower MSRP for equivalent spec.)

As you might be able to tell, I'm looking at a GTS as a "consolation" if I miss out of the 4.0 ... and have to endure the bitter ignominy of driving the obsolete 3.8 RS ...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

Porsche has always catered to this sort of customer. Extremely profitable, gotta have the newest thing so they can brag about it and all the other Porsches they own or have owned. I think "enthusiast" customers like me are a necessary evil for Porsche. We hold on to our cars longer, understand the strenghts and weaknesses of new models, and do our part to spread the word both good and bad about our cars.This model will likely only be bought as a collectable trinket by most owners. The sad part is these cars have the DNA to be great track toys but their value and their owners will make that rare. Yet even with the small production numbers they will depreciate massively like all new Porsches. Like the 997.1 RS models that now sell for about half their cost in four years (2007 models struggle to sell for $100k) this car will be on the market for about that amount in 2015 when the new 2016 RS-SE is released. In that regard they should be ordered with the options that the owner will enjoy. They are paying for the privilege ($25,000 per year).
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Somewhat ironically, he'll take a bath on the Black Edition -- it's designed to sucker people into the entry level (only to find there's no free lunch.) He perhaps got a huge discount from the dealer as an interim measure and a one year lease (actually Porsche's current lease products have a better structure on the 24 month term even if returned early) so he had some wheels in lieu of a future purchase (and the depreciation curve on the Turbo S will surely be big dollar amount, so the sooner he got out of that elevator ride to the basement, the better.) In any case, he would have been better off in a GTS Cabrio -- more fun than just about any 911 today and assured of prominence on the secondary market by virtue of its unique designation, limited time available for sale and high equipment level with a separate starting MSRP (not an optioned C4S with Power Kit, which would have a $20K lower MSRP for equivalent spec.)

As you might be able to tell, I'm looking at a GTS as a "consolation" if I miss out of the 4.0 ... and have to endure the bitter ignominy of driving the obsolete 3.8 RS ...
The Black Edition is certainly just a 1 year lease and something to drive daily with a top that goes down until his 458 spyder comes along for convertible driving. I think he got all his money back on the Turbo S cab. I haven't looked at the GTS as all of these things are out of my personal league. I am more of an air-cooled 911 guy, but I suspect that is more because I can't afford the newer stuff. I do like to drive my brother's cars and keep the tires from flat spotting.

Relax everybody, it was a joke about the flat spotting, he does not bubble-wrap his cars, no matter what you think.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I service at the same dealer. This guy has had every car mentioned and more... He can certainly afford to just get the standard seats and order the adaptives for his use and toss them when he is done. Didn't he pull the sport buckets out of the 3.8RS while he had it? I'd recommend him getting whatever seat he liked best from his recent 911s and throwing them in it. I can't wait to see it!!! You are a lucky brother.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Statman, if your brother gets a car with the sport buckets let me know and I'll buy them from him. I track my car a lot and need to get into a Porsche seat that accepts a 6 point harness.....thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Statman, if your brother gets a car with the sport buckets let me know and I'll buy them from him. I track my car a lot and need to get into a Porsche seat that accepts a 6 point harness.....thanks!
The only reason for him to order the buckets would be to save them for the easier resale of the car, not to sell them at a discount. Apparently the sport buckets are common and nothing special, just order a pair from Porsche, that seems to be the concensus opinion in this thread. I suspect he will just order the car with the *** as it will be easier, and the next owner can do whatever next owners do.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scott40
I service at the same dealer. This guy has had every car mentioned and more... He can certainly afford to just get the standard seats and order the adaptives for his use and toss them when he is done. Didn't he pull the sport buckets out of the 3.8RS while he had it? I'd recommend him getting whatever seat he liked best from his recent 911s and throwing them in it. I can't wait to see it!!! You are a lucky brother.
Hey Scott, stop by at the Ault Park Concours d'Elegance and introduce yourself if we haven't met in person. You still Scuderia shopping as listed in your signature? My brother's Scuderia is as perfect as any, and I doubt it has more than 2500 miles. Not sure he wants to take the hit on it yet, since it is sooooo much fun to drive, but everything is for sale to some extent.

He left the buckets in the 3.8RS, he fit in them (barely) but they were the limiting factor in his enjoyment of that car.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

and the next owner can do whatever next owners do.
you should have said this in the beginning and save people from wasting time to respond to this thread.

congrats to your brother for a 4.0, but seeing that he has gone through so many expensive cars, why ask such a non-intelligent question of what seats to get?

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seats in a 4.0 RS