Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Sebring Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
good course to take. and much more satisfying. later on, some chassis mods (can be) good tools to take the driving to the next level by getting the car to behave a little more locked down so you can get it to rotate nicer and the way you want. gotta get it rotated through the slow corners to get more exit.
I don't know if I will get into modding the car or just replace it. The car is heavy no matter what (sunroof + full leather), and since I drive on the street I'd like to keep the car in one piece and not tear up the interior. So a low option .1 RS or .2 RS may be in the future (at least 2-3 years)... We'll see
Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

^ No worries Mike

I know I'm not there yet at all, and I have to admit I'm not dancing with the car so far. It is hard since I have 2 track days with her so far. Me and Megan need more time to bond.

I'd love to get some pro coaching, but I don't have the $ to do it yet. The upgrade cost a lot of $, plus I had Traqmate installed along with LSD rebuild. So my plan is to get used to the car, see where I max out with the car before going for pro coaching. You think it makes sense?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to give you much to go on with only two days -- it's evident you're not dialed into the limits of the car (fast in places, caught slow in others ... you're clearly capable of more consistent laps, so current times will drop wholesale as you learn the car.)

I don't know Sebring, so no comment on best line, but I'd stay completely off the rough berms -- for the sake of the car -- it's not improving time and in some cases clearly unsettling the car. Where you avoided deliberately tracking out to the berm or avoided "straight lining" the car looked stable.

Straight elbows with only a quarter turn of steering input indicates you're sitting too far away from the steering wheel.

I'd make a conscious effort to use smooth steering input -- to paraphrase Jackie Stewart, "quiet, smooth, gentle, precise for the hands."

I'm not sure about the fashion statement of Alpine gauntlets and T-shirt. : ) I'd either lose the gloves or preferably get a fireproof layer all over. Given your climate, I'd go for a long sleeve fireproof coolshirt. Good to see visor down and HANS.

From what I see, you'd benefit from a two-day or three-day PSDS course to develop braking and control techniques. PSDS will give you skills to practice and refine. You'll be able to see the unnecessary corrections you're making through turns and you'll become consistent in building up a memory of sight lines for braking points, turn-in, trail-braking, constant radius through the apex, adjusting the apex, etc. etc. A lot of fun -- made a world of difference for me.

http://www.porschedriving.com/

For the seemingly pretty high speeds at Sebring, the car could use Heim joint rear toe links, rear brake cooling ducts, and a Cup chin spoiler.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

I definitely need some improvement going from braking to throttle. Sometimes I release the brakes so late that the car doesn't pick up when I get on throttle.

No fashion statement from the gloves, just don't want sweaty and slippery hands

I'd like some advanced course, the fact that PSDS is expensive doesn't help much though. Same thing goes for pro coaching. All in good time though, I'm in no hurry.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
^ No worries Mike

I know I'm not there yet at all, and I have to admit I'm not dancing with the car so far. It is hard since I have 2 track days with her so far. Me and Megan need more time to bond.

I'd love to get some pro coaching, but I don't have the $ to do it yet. The upgrade cost a lot of $, plus I had Traqmate installed along with LSD rebuild. So my plan is to get used to the car, see where I max out with the car before going for pro coaching. You think it makes sense?
Makes sence but you asked for help so I gave you my honest opinion. For less than $1k you can get a day of coaching and enough to work on for at least 1/2 a season of DE's...then more coaching and so forth.

I'll even split a day with you with Chris Hall if you want....let me know
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Makes sence but you asked for help so I gave you my honest opinion. For less than $1k you can get a day of coaching and enough to work on for at least 1/2 a season of DE's...then more coaching and so forth.

That is the best way for sure, but considering I'm not using the correct line I'd say I have at least 2 seconds to go...

It is a very tempting offer It's much more reasonable when you split it. When is Chris Hall going to be at Sebring again? He was there last Saturday.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Sin, it's much cheaper to just ape the car in front of you, just pick the right rabbit ;-)

This was my first or second event with the GT3: http://www.youtube.com/v/V1lhW9VLZ7I => 4 months later: http://www.youtube.com/v/yBcGL0OfJk0

Just kidding, it helps, but you need coach.
Maybe we should split Chris Hall in 3? He can teach me a thing or 20 still
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sin, it's much cheaper to just ape the car in front of you, just pick the right rabbit ;-)

This was my first or second event with the GT3: http://www.youtube.com/v/V1lhW9VLZ7I => 4 months later: http://www.youtube.com/v/yBcGL0OfJk0

Reter, having the right rabbit certainly helps

Were you doing 2:24 first or second event after getting the GT3 or was the traqmate display wrong? The first video shows lap time of 2:24

Maybe I should start down shifting into 2nd like you did...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Reter, having the right rabbit certainly helps

Were you doing 2:24 first or second event after getting the GT3 or was the traqmate display wrong? The first video shows lap time of 2:24

Maybe I should start down shifting into 2nd like you did...
In RA1 in this heat 2:24 in your car is tough
Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
In RA1 in this heat 2:24 in your car is tough
Tough is an understatement my friend, more like impossible for me.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

This is a great way to enjoy track days -- and a real eyeopener for anyone learning to drive a car like a GT3. Also, I think a whole day 1:1 requires a good foundation and already strong skills, otherwise, you really only need a session at a time with a pro, then you have your work cut out for you. Plus you can go back over the video and data, compare your laps to the pro laps, etc. And the pro can be in another car with another driver while you're out solo. Much better value for the first couple of days of instruction.

As for the cost of PSDS, it's little more expensive than the real cost of taking a GT3 to the track -- if you add up all the costs of running your own GT3 at the track, PSDS becomes good value by comparison.

Either way, it's about the fun and safety of driving -- having skills you know are correct makes for confidence that you're not unaware of something that could bite you.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

I just feel like I'm not there yet... I believe pro coaching is more necessary when you reach a plateau where you can't go any faster without help. Given the limited experience I have at HPDE (22 days so far), my limited knowledge of Sebring (7 days) and short period with the car I can definitely get better with some simple guidance and seat time.

I don't feel like I have a good foundation and strong skills to take it to the next level with pro coaching. Am I actually thinking too low of myself?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Reter: I notice you're in 2nd. A lot. Would you say that's optimal for the .1 GT3 at Sebring or did you eventually change your technique?

All the places where you're in 2nd (turn 3, 10, 16), I'm usually in 3rd. And lacking power. However, the car feels twitchy to be in tight corners at such a high rpm.

So with all that being said, all the places you were in 2nd in this video, would you continue to do the same if back in a .1 GT3? Clearly your lap times speak for themselves I'm just looking for places to get more time without overdriving the car or my skills.

Quick Reply: New Sebring Video