Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Would this do the trick at LS?

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=281
I have those "turnip" pipes -- they work.
As noted, you can also bypass the vacuum line on the flapper valve or you can add a switch to manually control the electric activation of the flapper valve. In a 3.8 RS, you really notice the power sucked out of the mid-range, so you lap times suffer, but at least you avoid the meatball bullshat.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check with Kitch at Pacific in Seattle. He usually sets something up at Thill. It is way fun with 15-20 Pacific Northwest guys for a couple days.
Then go to Sears Point. Great track and can not beat the location. The challenge is timing to be able to run.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Great advice!

1. Wanted to attempt Laguna Seca - but the 92db sound limit is an issue. Can't justify spending money to make the car quieter and slower. However, Carmel is beautiful and will stop by for sure.

2. Infineon/Sears Point looks great. Will sign up for the July 1/2 event! Will stay in San Fran for a few days.

3. Thunder hill videos are fantastic. My wife is worried about lack of track facilities when there. Can someone elaborate? Just proper restrooms are a must for her being a good sport. Think we'll stop by here on July 9th/10th.

Trying to head to all Pacific Raceways events I can. I am registered for 5/19 and 6/11 with PCA. I did email Chris' German for his 5/18 tea O'Day, but didn't get a response. Hoped to meet him and his crew for future maintenance as well,...
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

at T Hill there is a "normal" bathroom, not porta potty.
7.25 miles from track is where all the hotels are located. do not bother with the rest, stay here
Holiday Inn Express in willows
(530) 934-8900
it's not much more. but MUCH better. it's no ritz. but it's not going to kill the wife.
casa ramos is the defacto restaurant right out side track also 7 miles or so. you can walk from the hotel to there or it's a 2 min drive.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would reconsider on Laguna Seca. The track is so spectacular, and such a unique experience with the famous Corkscrew, that you really shouldn't pass up the chance to drive it. The mod to the bypass valve system isn't that difficult or expensive. Just my $.02.

And you might try Hooked on Driving for a track day at Thunderhill, Infineon, or Laguna. Definitely a well-run organization that provides lots of on track time and low hassle.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I would reconsider on Laguna Seca. The track is so spectacular, and such a unique experience with the famous Corkscrew, that you really shouldn't pass up the chance to drive it. The mod to the bypass valve system isn't that difficult or expensive. Just my $.02.

And you might try Hooked on Driving for a track day at Thunderhill, Infineon, or Laguna. Definitely a well-run organization that provides lots of on track time and low hassle.
+1. Laguna is a very special place and deserving of your special attention. Perhaps one of our friendly Rennlisters in the vicinity would be willing to lend you his Sharkworks pipes for the day.....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the ear bleeding loud exhausts here in FL, but 92db is just insane..
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
at T Hill there is a "normal" bathroom, not porta potty.
7.25 miles from track is where all the hotels are located. do not bother with the rest, stay here
Holiday Inn Express in willows
(530) 934-8900
it's not much more. but MUCH better. it's no ritz. but it's not going to kill the wife.
casa ramos is the defacto restaurant right out side track also 7 miles or so. you can walk from the hotel to there or it's a 2 min drive.
The steak joint a couple of blocks over is a better meal by far.
Book with HI Express through hotels.com and save $20 ... : )
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Great advice!

1. Wanted to attempt Laguna Seca - but the 92db sound limit is an issue. Can't justify spending money to make the car quieter and slower. However, Carmel is beautiful and will stop by for sure.

2. Infineon/Sears Point looks great. Will sign up for the July 1/2 event! Will stay in San Fran for a few days.

3. Thunder hill videos are fantastic. My wife is worried about lack of track facilities when there. Can someone elaborate? Just proper restrooms are a must for her being a good sport. Think we'll stop by here on July 9th/10th.

Trying to head to all Pacific Raceways events I can. I am registered for 5/19 and 6/11 with PCA. I did email Chris' German for his 5/18 tea O'Day, but didn't get a response. Hoped to meet him and his crew for future maintenance as well,...
Buying tips for a one day event at Laguna is expensive -- you're welcome to borrow my tips and switch (plugs into engine, plugs into cig lighter) to turn the exhaust flaps off. Pick 'em up on your way through (and I have a couple of sets of prototypes, so I can still drive the same day myself.)

Definitely add HOD to the list of safe/fun local track day event operators.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The steak joint a couple of blocks over is a better meal by far.
Book with HI Express through hotels.com and save $20 ... : )
yes, i kow the stk place. but some ppl like to have a few drinks and prefer to walk back to hotel, trip to their own demise than driving drunk killing self and take out others not i. i dont drink, except root beers and virgin pinacolada
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

i dont drink, except root beers and virgin pinacolada
I'm always forced to sleep close to the bar in crappy hotel (Chateau); Maybe time for me to start drinking root beers and Virgin pinacolada's as well, faster in the first session too.....
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

all of them, but fontana is the only one with the big NASCAR curves of its oval.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Change of plans due to everyone's input on LS and also thank you to Carrera GT's equipment help!

6/25 (afternoon) & 6/26 at LS w/Speed Ventures
7/1 & 7/2 at Infineon/Sears Point w/Track Masters

Will be staying at the HI Express (Cannery Row & Windsor) during track days. Looking forward to it!

On another note, should I be fine if I am on new tires, pads, and fluids for the road trip including 4 DE's? Or will I need to make arrangements for interim maintenance? Thanks for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: Best tracks in California?