Another 4.0 Allocation Sought. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
I really need to ask this question:

why pay close to $200k when you can get an Fcar for just a little more?

There's the $125k price point which the 3.8RS was just above. Then there's the 200k mark, I say that's Ferrari land.
I'd rather have this car than any ferrari that costs $200K. Your statement implies that any Ferrari is better doesnt resonate with me personally. Would you rather have a year old California than this car? Or a F430 spyder? You cant get a 458 right now for $200K.

For its purpose, the 4.0 has very few competitors, maybe the Scud, the Macca - at similar prices. If I was looking for a track only (mainly car), I'd likely get the 4.0. For street, the Macca. Scud may be a good blend of both.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Pete thanks for the AP "confession"'; Very interesting.

I feel for him, it will be tough.. to get a car and a loan but he just might make it.
: )

BTW which is toughest?
Having the money and no allocation at MSRP (in a market where Porsche is eating the USD/EUR exchange rate difference) or having an allocation and being short of cash? *about 390,000EUR in an under IMF supervision country.
It's rhetorical don't bother.

Hope you get the car, it will probably be one of the few cars that will be used accordingly and not stay in a garaze waiting for the "never coming" appreciation.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't wait to hear your driving report on this one! Savyboy all the way! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Wonder is the 300 CEl cats will work on a .2 RS
Old 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete, call PCNA, send them your pics with Preuninger and your recent list of purchases, they will make it happen.

In my opinion, the GT3 RS 4.0 is a great value. Not long ago people paid more than $185k for used 2007 GT3 RS (yes, the heavy and underpowered one).

The RS 4.0 cannot be compared to any Ferrari or McLaren, they are different cars. I think that Ferrari doesn't have a car that performs as well as the GT3 RS 4.0 on a racetrack, probably the Enzo but that's a supercar. The closest ones are the Scuderia, F458 and 599 GTO, and they can barely keep up with the 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8.

Now that I have read how much work Preuninger and Team went through to get 500 Hp out of the 4.0L, I get to appreciate this GT3 RS 4.0 even more.

I have seen the acceleration difference between the 415Hp RS (Erik's with the 4.00:1 R&P) and the 450Hp RS (Reter's). Just 35 Hp and the acceleration difference is noticeable, now we are talking about 50Hp more.

This is the best GT3 ever made and the price has been set fair, not like the overpriced 996 GT2, 997 GT2 and the total rip-off 997 GT2 RS.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Wonder is the 300 CEl cats will work on a .2 RS
Do you mean the '08-'09 GT2 or the '11 GT2 RS? Keep in mind the dyno chart of the 2RS is already torque- and power-limited in the electronics, so no amount of hardware upgrade work will liberate more horses -- it will require tweakery in the electro fuse poppin sparks makin box of tricks.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Pete thanks for the AP "confession"'; Very interesting.
May I kindly be pardoned for mentioning a full text of AP personal comments reside here?: http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=193

Originally Posted by Medicopter
I can't wait to hear your driving report on this one! Savyboy all the way! Good luck!
I can't wait to write it! Whew- fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Pete, call PCNA, send them your pics with Preuninger and your recent list of purchases, they will make it happen.
Going to give the "well-respected dealer" the benefit of the doubt and opportunity to perform as we have discussed. Upon a locked-in and in-the-system-order I will announce who it is. If it works out, there is the likelihood of a subsequent epic delivery story. Let's see...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

The very difficult engineering part was to get full 500 hp out of the engine and still keep it street legal........upping the displacement to 4 Liters would have only yielded 470 to 475 hp.

The rest was hard engineering work: Crankshaft from RSR and Cup R (not derived, same part!), modified titanium rods, new intake manifold, heads with different cr than the RS 3.8, new airbox, new airfilter, less restrictive catalyst w. 300 cells, reinforced clutch, reeinforced cam adjusters, reeinforced chain tensioner, complete new ECU program and the list goes on. Result is an street legal normally aspirated engine with an honest 125 hp/l !That means 83 hp per cylinder.....compare that with any competition....durability is absolutely not affected, the engine is a tough as nails and will last, its really bulletproof. "
Look at the extra work Porsche had to do to get 25 to 30 hp from the 4.0 (over and above the 470 to 475). This is why I am so skeptical of exhausts that produce +20 hp, intakes that produce +15 hp etc.

The 4.0 is a great value, done right, out of the factory.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 PM
WYD OPN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT2RS + GT3RS 4.0 = Ultimate Combo.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Look at the extra work Porsche had to do to get 25 to 30 hp from the 4.0 (over and above the 470 to 475). This is why I am so skeptical of exhausts that produce +20 hp, intakes that produce +15 hp etc.

The 4.0 is a great value, done right, out of the factory.
And don't forget plenums that add 25hp and "chips" that add "up to 30hp"

Pete after you buy it, the sky's the limit.. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeVlpF5Fccs
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
I really need to ask this question:

why pay close to $200k when you can get an Fcar for just a little more?

There's the $125k price point which the 3.8RS was just above. Then there's the 200k mark, I say that's Ferrari land.

If you want a street poser that you can take to the track, you buy Fcar.
If you want a track poser that delivers in the right hands and you can take it on the street, you get the 4.0 RS at that price point.

Timing is everything my friend /

Lol, thanks! Craziness I tell you!

What is the point of putting forth great effort and taking risks if not to enjoy the fruit of the labors?

Flying Toaster is already trying to talk me into parting with my now track converted 3RS. But it is so darn good now I can't bear to. Maybe at the end of the season.

Hmmmm, let me think about that...hmmm. Great car but not for me.

Thanks! Me and a lot of other people will need it.

Thankfully a lot of space is taken up with clients cars and CarreraGT's lovely new trailer... Besdies I am not a collector I am a driving enthusiast.

Funny guy! Not only are you multi-lingual but the snark is strong too!

So far I have some strong leads and perhaps I can nail down something today. A particularly well respected dealer is in contact with me and we are moving forward. Some of my boardmates have contacted me looking to secure a solid allocation as well and I will try to help them too.

Once again this is a fine opportunity to recognize the rapacious scumbag dealers vs those who show integrity when the going gets tough. I will never forget the POS who are asking for $20k, $30k and $50k over. Now more than ever support dealers who support enthusiasts and take your business from the short-term profiteers.

Too bad the passion and vision of the man behind the GT and Cup program does not make it to those we must go through to buy the car:

"the new car is not an RSR on license plates and is not meant to be the new RS, and not meant to be a succesor to the glorious RS 3.8. We sold the 3.8 till some weeks back and I am not going to say to these customers that we have a much better product now and they have an "old" car.......because thats definitely not the case!
In reality the 4.0 project is meant to be a "good bye" edition to the 997 GT car era, based on an RS second gen. It still is an RS second gen., only with an "enriched RS flavour" by using parts of the 2RS and engine mods using the gained experience with the 4 Litre racemill.. Kind of a parts bin engineering, although at a very high level ;-).

The very difficult engineering part was to get full 500 hp out of the engine and still keep it street legal........upping the displacement to 4 Liters would have only yielded 470 to 475 hp.

The rest was hard engineering work: Crankshaft from RSR and Cup R (not derived, same part!), modified titanium rods, new intake manifold, heads with different cr than the RS 3.8, new airbox, new airfilter, less restrictive catalyst w. 300 cells, reinforced clutch, reeinforced cam adjusters, reeinforced chain tensioner, complete new ECU program and the list goes on. Result is an street legal normally aspirated engine with an honest 125 hp/l !That means 83 hp per cylinder.....compare that with any competition....durability is absolutely not affected, the engine is a tough as nails and will last, its really bulletproof. "

"So the RS 4.0 is not an all new car and I have no intention of selling it as such. Because it isn't and never was meant to be. Its a Gen II RS maxxed out, a final edition that salutes the 997 GT cars, "my cars". 600 cars to be made at a price that just adds the additional value of the hp and the -now standard- carbon stuff on the car. Too expensive? Come on! 50 horses more and all that superexpensive 2RS stuff, that car is a great value package! And then the limitation, the car is an investment long term! It might even be the next immortal RS next to the RS 2.7, a collectors item to be, the last action hero that ends an era of all time great cars......
I will most likely buy one myself (if my bank will allow me to do it ;-)), and will keep it forever, ....... " A.P.
Pete : Thanks for sharing such a great description of this awesome machine
Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thankfully a lot of space is taken up with clients cars and Carrera GT's lovely new trailer...
I do what I can to help.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:28 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Pete, you are a true enthusiast and it would be a shame if you did not get an allocation.

Pitiful but true...

Too bad the passion and vision of the man behind the GT and Cup program does not make it to those we must go through to buy the car:
Or if you prefer, passionate enthusiasts at both ends, who must too often transact through a profiteering-tainted filtering process
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Good job Pete, but you're still missing a Panamera.
... and a cup car
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFaust
Pitiful but true...

Or if you prefer, passionate enthusiasts at both ends, who must too often transact through a profiteering-tainted filtering process
Well said.

Look, I am an entrepreneur and as such profit is never a dirty word. However- I also clearly make a distinction between one-time price gouging and constructing a deal that allows me to earn long time customer relationships.

If you as a dealer are so desparate to make an extra $XXk on one car, one time, that you have to price gouge the enthusiast core of your business, well then f uck you!

You know what happens to price gougers in natural disasters right? The greedy rapacious bastards see jail time. Think about it.

My "stable" (I hate that term) of cars listed below was purchased from ONE dealer 2000 miles away from me because they always treated me fairly. Porsche of N Olmsted Ohio. Chris Sanner and Chad Lozon. I would recommend them to anybody in the USA. As of this moment they don't have a 4.0 allocation otherwise this thread would not be here because it would be a done deal MSRP, no questions asked by either side.

Quick Reply: Another 4.0 Allocation Sought. Help!