MPSC: "I'm not dead yet" ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I know the R888 is the Offical Hated Tire of Rennlist but I've had success with them and the much Rennlist loved RA1...but no more RA1's from Toyo. Some have said the Bridgestone RE11 is as good or better than the Toyo R888 and the RE11 is not a R compound either.

MPSC does not come in 18" for my car like the Toyo's do but lately it seems like more and more high perf tires are coming in 19" instead of 18". Seems like the R888 is the only 18" R- Comp tire with tread I can run on the street and track. No one else makes 18 R Comps in my sizes anymore.

I've thought about trying 19's for the track but have always been told with out a doubt that 18's are better for the track.

I ran at Sebring during one of our PCA DE's with a lead instructor and racer and we both have the same cars right down to the same mufflers...both 09 997 S w/PDK. We had this all planned out to go out together. He is a experienced racer...I'm just a DE guy. He was on 19" lightweight Champion wheels and 19" stock sized MPSC. I was on 18" CCW with R888. He could not hang with me in the corners and the back part of Sebring. I was follwoing him and his car was lose all over the place. I stayed right with him and he gave me a point by and I put a good few seconds on him. Cars are the same, his skills have to be better than mine.....was it the tires or 18 vs 19 or??????
Welcome to the proper 18" tire deprivation club.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts
Default I think Fred runs 18"s ....

is it my imagination or is this car also running 18" (centerlock) rims?
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPSC N1 tire may not be a true R-compound but I found it to be pretty good last weekend. Plenty of grip there. How they are in the rain is a different story.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
is it my imagination or is this car also running 18" (centerlock) rims?
Yep -- 991 GT3 Speedster "Woodie" anniversary edition spy pic
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Welcome to the proper 18" tire deprivation club.
I'm a member of said club unfortunately
this year I've been running r888 rears in 315 and
mpsc fronts cos I've still got a few pairs left
it feels surprisingly good
Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
I'm a member of said club unfortunately
this year I've been running r888 rears in 315 and
mpsc fronts cos I've still got a few pairs left
it feels surprisingly good

Pretty ballsy move mate! Glad you r still here typing. : )

I haven't tried to mix tires yet but no matter what, I will refuse to move to 19s. At the end of the day we might get back to the days of used slicks that teams were throwing away.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
think you'd have to do back-to-back testing; same "everything" except tyres to really isolate the source of the difference...
Yeah I would love to do that. With as many 997 cabsed cars at DE's I would think a Porsche magazine would do a track tire test. Excellence Magazine only has 1 new model Porsch and a few older restored interesting cars and they never do any aftermarket shoot outs or testing....kinda boring stuff really but I'd think a lot of readers would enjoy a track car 997 mods article.

Actually I'd be game to do a article like this for Rennlist and put the work into it if a manufacture would provide some forged 19" wheels and Michelin the MPSC and Super Sports and Bridgestone the RE11's and Toyo the R888's.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After four track days on the OE MPSC on the GT2RS I must say I have been impressed and very happy with them. Wearing very evenly and very grippy. A fine compromise street/track tire provided you keep the hot PSI 32-33 when tracking!

No need for crazy camber either, they work just fine with stock settings (which also preserves your stability under braking).
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
After four track days on the OE MPSC on the GT2RS I must say I have been impressed and very happy with them. Wearing very evenly and very grippy. A fine compromise street/track tire provided you keep the hot PSI 32-33 when tracking!

No need for crazy camber either, they work just fine with stock settings (which also preserves your stability under braking).
+1 (especially the hot PSI 32-33 part)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I know the R888 is the Offical Hated Tire of Rennlist but I've had success with them and the much Rennlist loved RA1...but no more RA1's from Toyo. Some have said the Bridgestone RE11 is as good or better than the Toyo R888 and the RE11 is not a R compound either.
Mike,
for what it matters RE11 is a good rain tire may be (still conti DW is claimed now to take a palm for this) but I never saw a car at AX to go faster in a sweeper on RE11 tires than on R888. Guys on RE11 usually drift like crazy and it is fun but is hardly faster.

Ps. Kumho v710 still exists. R888 is also not half as bad as people speak of it. NT01 still exists too, but it is not an AX tire so it is no go for me but you can try it too.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree....Toyo R888 is not as bad as people on this forum claim it too be. I'm always looking for options though just in case R888 goes away like the RA1 did.

I spoke with a Toyo rep about this and he claims both the RA1 and R888 use the same rubber compound...known as GG. He said the R888 does not dissipate heat as fast as the smaller tread blocks on the RA1. Also the R888 has better turn is feel and turns in faster than the RA1 because it has a stiffer side wall and the larger tread blocks do not move around like the RA1. I find the R888 does feel better in turn in than RA1. He also said shaved R888 will feel better, be faster and last as long as shaved RA1.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I agree....Toyo R888 is not as bad as people on this forum claim it too be.
I don't and yes it is that bad... a friendly disagreegure ;-)

I spoke with a Toyo rep about this and he claims both the RA1 and R888 use the same rubber compound...known as GG. He said the R888 does not dissipate heat as fast as the smaller tread blocks on the RA1. Also the R888 has better turn is feel and turns in faster than the RA1 because it has a stiffer side wall and the larger tread blocks do not move around like the RA1. I find the R888 does feel better in turn in than RA1. He also said shaved R888 will feel better, be faster and last as long as shaved RA1.
HHHHMMMMM.......
I agree compared to UNSHAVED RA1's. If shaved RA1 is fine. Both overheat, but RA1 is drivable when almost corded. R888 will kill you all of a sudden long before cords show.

Glad we finally found something to disagree on
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't and yes it is that bad... a friendly disagreegure ;-)

HHHHMMMMM.......
I agree compared to UNSHAVED RA1's. If shaved RA1 is fine. Both overheat, but RA1 is drivable when almost corded. R888 will kill you all of a sudden long before cords show.

Glad we finally found something to disagree on
If it uses the same rubber compound then why does R888 dust rubber all over the car when RA1 does not

Buy a set shave them and try it......wont riskmy car with that POS tire
Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

The rubber used to manufacture the casing of the R888 is a very different compound from the rubber used for the thread of the tire. When you reach the casing rubber, you will have almost no grip and slide everywhere, unlike NT01s or RA1s, which basically become like slicks when the thread is worn away. I'm no tire engineer, but if you look at these pair of 305-30-19 R888s used on a GT3, you can see some type longitudinal mold pattern in the rubber as it wears down which looks something like bonding ribs between the casing and the thread. It looks like there's still thread, and it's just a bit past the wear bars, but really, there's no grip. You think you bought 6/32s of thread, but really are probably only getting 3 or 4/32s. If running 2* or more rear camber, and depending on how much straight line or street driving you do, you'll wear away the inner 1" of the thread pretty quick and slide around on that too, not giving the tire a chance to stand up and grip when cornering. In a ~80 second autocross lap, the difference between these and a proper set of tires, these were over 10 seconds slower, back end drifting, shuffle steering in opposite lock around turns.

Last edited by Steve W; 05-04-2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: pic
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
The rubber used to manufacture the casing of the R888 is a very different compound from the rubber used for the thread of the tire. When you reach the casing rubber, you will have almost no grip and slide everywhere, unlike NT01s or RA1s, which basically become like slicks when the thread is worn away. I'm no tire engineer, but if you look at these pair of 305-30-19 R888s used on a GT3, you can see some type longitudinal mold pattern in the rubber as it wears down which looks something like bonding ribs between the casing and the thread. It looks like there's still thread, and it's just a bit past the wear bars, but really, there's no grip. You think you bought 6/32s of thread, but really are probably only getting 3 or 4/32s. If running 2* or more rear camber, and depending on how much straight line or street driving you do, you'll wear away the inner 1" of the thread pretty quick and slide around on that too, not giving the tire a chance to stand up and grip when cornering. In a ~80 second autocross lap, the difference between these and a proper set of tires, these were over 10 seconds slower, back end drifting, shuffle steering in opposite lock around turns.

That explains it.....I like my tires to stick to the cords

R888 is junk

Quick Reply: MPSC: "I'm not dead yet" ...