Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011 | 08:58 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the rear toes wont help butt wiggle...... that is the LSD.

rear toes will help tire wear on the alignment......
It was suggested for butt wiggling for me.

Let's see how much the alignment goes out, depending in the result the OEM toe links will stay or go
Old 04-22-2011 | 09:44 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

In regards to the toe links, under hard braking or acceleration, the stock soft rubber bushes deflect a considerable amount, thus creating a change in rear toe when you really, seriously don't want it to happen. This deflection can make the vehicle unpredictable when entering or exiting a corner. When you change out to the monoball-type toe links (with the locking plates, like Tarett uses), you simply make the rear alignment more consistent. That's the big benefit of them. The benefit of the locking plates is that it prevents the shifting of the stock eccentric toe adjusters that can happen with some 'spirited' driving, amongst other things. Of course, the other 'weak links' in the GT3 are as others had mentioned:

1) Differential. Go GT and don't look back.
2) Seats / Harnesses / Roll-over protection.
3) Alignment (everyone's got their opinions on this subject, go with someone who makes sense and knows how to set the car up for your needs and tire type)
4) Driver. None of us have contracts to run F1 next season, do we?
5) Tires. Don't cheap out on rubber, you won't be happy with what it does to the car.

There's literally an endless list of stuff you can do to these cars, and a whole bunch of stuff that might make you feel good about yourself, but your wallet will be empty, and you probably won't be any faster. Go drive it, spend some money on a good, solid, basic starting point and get some seat time. Don't waste time and money on the 'fluff' like expensive exhausts, carbon fibre hoods, software, blah, blah, blah.

My $0.02.
Old 04-22-2011 | 11:28 PM
PORGT34ME
Track Day

How hard is it to install the rear toe links? Can it be done in garage by yourself ?
Old 04-22-2011 | 11:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PORGT34ME
How hard is it to install the rear toe links? Can it be done in garage by yourself ?
bolt on application is straight forward.

alignment once they are on is a different story
Old 04-22-2011 | 11:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCAN Automotive
Don't waste time and money on the 'fluff' like expensive exhausts, carbon fibre hoods, software, blah, blah, blah.

My $0.02.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't some of those fluffly exhausts drop 30 or 40 lbs off the **** end of the car? That's weight coming off one of the single most desireable locations to drop weight. A carbong fiber hood is one thing, but if I could drop 40 lbs out behind my rear axle on a tail heavey vehicle like a 911, I'd be giving that a serious consideration.
Old 04-22-2011 | 11:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTgears
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't some of those fluffly exhausts drop 30 or 40 lbs off the **** end of the car? That's weight coming off one of the single most desireable locations to drop weight. A carbong fiber hood is one thing, but if I could drop 40 lbs out behind my rear axle on a tail heavey vehicle like a 911, I'd be giving that a serious consideration.
+1 and after market exhaust mods just plain sound so dang good...especially on a GT3 engine.
Old 04-23-2011 | 12:01 AM
PORGT34ME
Track Day

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
bolt on application is straight forward.

alignment once they are on is a different story
Any special tools needed?
Old 04-23-2011 | 03:55 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
I'm not saying there aren't benefits to all the other modifications you can make to these cars. Simply that there are serious deficiencies for track use that should be addressed when considering setting up your car for that type of use. If money isn't a limit, then go for all the extras by all means. They aren't the most important considerations though.
Old 04-23-2011 | 03:58 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1 and after market exhaust mods just plain sound so dang good...especially on a GT3 engine.
Agreed. I have the Sharkwerks pipe on my car and absolutely love it. Really though, it's entirely an aural pleasure and not going to fool me into thinking that I've somehow dramatically enhanced the perfomance of my car because it's lighter than the stock center muffler. I love tunnels!
Old 04-23-2011 | 07:17 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

I agree with SCAN, I learned the hard way... Spent a fortune on the S trying to make it something it's not.

I'm trying to keep it to a minimum on the GT3 now.

BTW I love Sharkwerks bypass as well!
Old 04-23-2011 | 10:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PORGT34ME
Any special tools needed?
only special tool is knowledge of how to perform proper alignment.

alignment ramp helps too
Old 04-23-2011 | 11:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by sin911
We were talking about this issue with some fellow Rennlisters, Deputydog told me he had rear toe links installed on his car and didn't help at all with the cars butt moving under heavy braking. So I am leaving the toe links for later
Do the links just so the rear toe stays in alignment.
Old 04-23-2011 | 01:29 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Do the links just so the rear toe stays in alignment.
I'll run the car with stock links for a couple months, I've got some expenses with the LSD and Traqmate going on right now...
Old 04-23-2011 | 04:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^use a sharpie to mark position of eccentric if u plan to go stock. I never had issues when i did run stock but I did mark them and check if it moved. Mike
Old 04-23-2011 | 06:45 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

That's one way to measure it good idea

Quick Reply: Track Modifications