Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ditching stock pads... What to get and from where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which endless you use?
are they the ones manthey use at n24?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
which endless you use?
are they the ones manthey use at n24?
I have used ME20 (street / track)

Running N35S on RS right now

The best endurance pad they have is MA45B, they were not in stock when I ordered the last set, I have heard glowing reviews on them.....and crazy long pad life. This pad lasts for the entire 12 hours at Sebring.....expensive though
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 425 Posts

Ok, here's my input:

Pagid Yellows: I had them on my OEM brakes on my previous S. Great for DE events, gentle on the brakes. Squeal like hell!!!

PFC01: I had them as the first set of pads with the Stoptech set up, loved the grip. Didn't last too long, but gentle on the discs. No street noise!

Endless ME20: I had 1 event with, really nice pads. Great feel, lasts 30 min hard sessions. Too hard on the discs though... Little squeal.

After this set is done, I'm planning to go back to PFC01's
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Ok, here's my input:

Pagid Yellows: I had them on my OEM brakes on my previous S. Great for DE events, gentle on the brakes. Squeal like hell!!!

PFC01: I had them as the first set of pads with the Stoptech set up, loved the grip. Didn't last too long, but gentle on the discs. No street noise!

Endless ME20: I had 1 event with, really nice pads. Great feel, lasts 30 min hard sessions. Too hard on the discs though... Little squeal.

After this set is done, I'm planning to go back to PFC01's
Sin, did you find with the Endless pads that the rotor disc's started cracking sooner with Endless pads vs. PFC01 or Pagid Yellow?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I have used ME20 (street / track)

Running N35S on RS right now

The best endurance pad they have is MA45B, they were not in stock when I ordered the last set, I have heard glowing reviews on them.....and crazy long pad life. This pad lasts for the entire 12 hours at Sebring.....expensive though
i think they are worth it, considering the longetivity.
can you use the the 35s on the street? or are they're too noisy or grainy?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sin, did you find with the Endless pads that the rotor disc's started cracking sooner with Endless pads vs. PFC01 or Pagid Yellow?
Since I had the car for less than a day I am not sure what the condition of the rotors were on the GT3... But towards the end of the day at Sebring, there were some small cracks starting on the rotor.

With the PFC01, I had about 5 DEs and no cracks on the rotors! Just normal wear.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Since I had the car for less than a day I am not sure what the condition of the rotors were on the GT3... But towards the end of the day at Sebring, there were some small cracks starting on the rotor.

With the PFC01, I had about 5 DEs and no cracks on the rotors! Just normal wear.
Thanks...I use to get small cracks running Pagid Yellows on stock rotors after 1 DE day but after I lightened up my braking and worked on release my pads and rotors are lasting longer. However with Yellows after 3 DE the small crack start and then it's only 2 maybe 3 more DE days...noy events... and the front rotors and pads are done.

I've considers going with Girodisc but the expense of those does not warnet a consideration bases on getting a few more DE days out of them compared to stock rotors.

I've stuck with Pagid because they work but just for piece of mind and my own experience I'd like to try out PFC01's.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Ok, let me explain further more

The GT3 has Stoptech STR kit with slotted rotors, the cracks that happened in 1 day is with slotted Stoptech rotors.

The S had the same Stoptech STR kit, slotted rotors, with PFC01. No cracks!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Ok, let me explain further more

The GT3 has Stoptech STR kit with slotted rotors, the cracks that happened in 1 day is with slotted Stoptech rotors.

The S had the same Stoptech STR kit, slotted rotors, with PFC01. No cracks!
Got it...seems like a decent comparison too.....both slotted rotors which are suppose to last long with less cracking than rotors with holes. Thansk!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

pagids are great, but they eat rotors.
unfortunately, this is the price we have to pay, but it bothers us endlessly as it adds significantly to running costs. i use ferrodo ds-2500 on the street with good results, but they are not good enough for track.
i used rs14's on the street but they made too much noise and they felt like 2 blocks of wood as they seldom got up to temp. on the track they were so awesome.....but ate my slotted stasis rotors like it was thanksgiving.
i am looking for middle ground, but as always, that's nigh on impossible to find.
otherwise, gotta stick to one set for street and one set for track. i suppose doing it this way helps
you keep in the routine of doing fluids when you do pads.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Got it...seems like a decent comparison too.....both slotted rotors which are suppose to last long with less cracking than rotors with holes. Thansk!
No problem Mike, glad to be able to help

It surprised me to see cracks in just one day...
Old 04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Six days Sebring, three days roebling on rotors when you got it

you cannot compare homestead de days to sebring de days
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Six days Sebring, three days roebling on rotors when you got it

you cannot compare homestead de days to sebring de days
That explains the cracks You didn't mention you had 9 events on the rotors
Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

That explains the cracks You didn't mention you had 9 events on the rotors
Days.....not events, I even keep track of how many 30 minute sessions I run per day.

When comparing wear, we need to make sure it is an apples to apples comparison

1) driver ability....I probably overbrake compared to Chris Harris, makeing rotor wear more
2) track driven. I am at Roebling Road now......brakes must last forever here
3) How many sessions in the "day"......a Chin day is not equal to a PCA day, you might get double the track time.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I used the RS-19s first time ever, although I think their braking performance is really good, I really don't like the initial bite, especially coming from high-speeds. I haven't changed them after the track, and have been using them on the street and they perform quite well, but again the initial bite is significantly lacking IMHO.

I really miss the Hawk HT-10s for their initial bite and price. So, as soon as I am done with the 19s, I am going to switch to Hawk; they are almost half the cost too

I do not know if it is due to RS-19s or some other reason, but my rotors are nearly done after 3 track events (9 days) too: http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=85

Quick Reply: Ditching stock pads... What to get and from where?