Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WARNING - Pirelli Trofeo Shred - Must See

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tyres were taken by Pirelli Middle East and sent to Italy. Strangely it has gone all very quiet......

LONG LIVE MICHELIN!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
The tyres were taken by Pirelli Middle East and sent to Italy. Strangely it has gone all very quiet......

LONG LIVE MICHELIN!
Same thing happened when I split a Toyo R888 sent the tire in but Toyo gave me a $90 pro rated credit towards a new R888. Got new R888 everything was fine and then did the same thing but to a lesser degree on another set of R888's both front this time....odd but Toyo will not talk about it with me.

I've seen a couple of cars with Trofeo's at DE at Sebring. One is a 997 GT3 and the other is a Nissan 350Z that a employee of Bob Woodman Tires runs. I have seen their tires and they are wearing evenly and they loved the grip....hummm....maybe you have an alignment issue???? Too bad Pirelli will not talk to you about this in order to help your cars situation out.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

They are great tires. They stick like glue, and they are very predictable. I run them at about 30 hot. The only downside is that they wear out quickly. But, that is always a trade-off, and I never believe the hype of a long lasting R compound tire that is also very sticky.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
They are great tires. They stick like glue, and they are very predictable. I run them at about 30 hot. The only downside is that they wear out quickly. But, that is always a trade-off, and I never believe the hype of a long lasting R compound tire that is also very sticky.
Yep can't wear out anymore quickly than a R888 or Hoosier R6.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Excess wear on the inside can be due to excess camber, or toe in. Do you have toe links? The rear toe adjustment is notoriously weak on our cars. Toe links are a must.
Excess toe-out will cause inside shoulder wear, but not necessarily so acute and the car would be communicating the problem to the driver. Otherwise uniform wear suggests correct temp and camber for the given track driving.

Otherwise gross overinflation or underinflation, especially with the rear of a 997.2 RS, even with stock camber. As noted, the eccentric toe adjustment is junk and should never have been on a '57 Dodge, let alone a 911.

My guess at a scenario is pressure reduced to 38 hot at the track. Perhaps with an inaccurate gauge that was over-registering by 2psi. Then the car's driven a fair distance home or to the track and then home cold at 30 psi or lower -- this will shred a tire in 300 miles. The shoulder wall held up, the shoulder was worn down through the cords -- the culprit being the massive rear weight (60% of 3000lbs+) focused on the inside shoulder walls.

These are street tires, so they don't manage well with heat -- underinflation will cause very high temps and shoulder fatigue, leading to this kind of separation.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My car is alligned OK -1.7 rear and I corded the inside right rear this weekend.
Sebring wears the left out faster...
I'm wondering if AP's comments about us using excessive negative camber is very real on 19" wheels. I get completely even wear on 18" Toyo's, both the R888 and the RA1, but as soon as I switch to the 19" Michelin MPSC's, with no changes to the alignment, I get serious inside rear tire wear.

The wear is so extreme that the outside edge looks visually fine, but a few hairy corners and I'm under the car looking for something broken, only to find cord showing on the very inside edges of both rear tires. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Carl, sorry to hear of this happening to you and of the lack of response from Pirelli.

Hey guys, I have been running these on both Spyder and the 3RS since last year and I can tell you they require a totally different geometry than MPSC or Corsa Systems. I had to try many differnet set-ups before finally getting the car dialed. As a generalization, they need a lot of negative camber to get them to wear properly. And they require very low hot pressures to work: 29.5-31 PSI hot!

And while I did work through some challenging wear patterns, I have never prematurely corded an inner or outer tire edge on any car, ever. You need review your tire pressure maintence/driving syle and/or to have a very straightforward talk with your set-up shop if you are prematurely cording inner or outer edges. Or find a new shop.

We had the alignment thread a while back, and it worth repeating, 1. Settle on a specific tire and 2. Have a competent shop align your car to that tire and your driving style. There is no other way to do it right. And it takes time to find the sweet spot so budget on multiple changes of geometry to find it.

And with that said, none of this matters for Trofeos because they can't be found in GT3/RS sizing in the USA anymore! lol Word is they are going to make a new batch but I am not holding my breath
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Carl, sorry to hear of this happening to you and of the lack of response from Pirelli.

Hey guys, I have been running these on both Spyder and the 3RS since last year and I can tell you they require a totally different geometry than MPSC or Corsa Systems. I had to try many differnet set-ups before finally getting the car dialed. As a generalization, they need a lot of negative camber to get them to wear properly. And they require very low hot pressures to work: 29.5-31 PSI hot!

And while I did work through some challenging wear patterns, I have never prematurely corded an inner or outer tire edge on any car, ever. You need review your tire pressure maintence/driving syle and/or to have a very straightforward talk with your set-up shop if you are prematurely cording inner or outer edges. Or find a new shop.

We had the alignment thread a while back, and it worth repeating, 1. Settle on a specific tire and 2. Have a competent shop align your car to that tire and your driving style. There is no other way to do it right. And it takes time to find the sweet spot so budget on multiple changes of geometry to find it.

And with that said, none of this matters for Trofeos because they can't be found in GT3/RS sizing in the USA anymore! lol Word is they are going to make a new batch but I am not holding my breath
Pete thanks for the note. Yes it is a shame but I did not expect anything.

Excellent advice about the trofeo's re pressure as that is what we found. Ditto the negative camber. The tire wore very evenly which is the first thing we checked. Dubai autodrome is mainly a RHC track.

Have not tracked car for a while now as the 50 degree heat and 70% humidity (and rising!!) means its car suicide! So instead I am playing golf!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Guys...sor Trofeo likes more camber than MPSC and Corsa?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Guys...sor Trofeo likes more camber than MPSC and Corsa?
Yes. But your C2S setup will be different from a GT3 setup due to different spring rates and damping.

My Spyder set up for the Trofeo's was totally different from my GT3 set up.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yes. But your C2S setup will be different from a GT3 setup due to different spring rates and damping.

My Spyder set up for the Trofeo's was totally different from my GT3 set up.
Got it..so...with in mind and knowing my new GTS with Sport PASM is softer than a GT3RS what do you think a good starting point for alignment would be?

On my 09 C2S I ve found that running R888 at
-2.3 zero toe front
-2 and .18 degrees toe in per side rear
To work well at Sebring and a little caber for Daytona. I tried -2.6 front and the inside of the fronts wore faster and I didn't like the handling as much.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Got it..so...with in mind and knowing my new GTS with Sport PASM is softer than a GT3RS what do you think a good starting point for alignment would be?

On my 09 C2S I ve found that running R888 at
-2.3 zero toe front
-2 and .18 degrees toe in per side rear
To work well at Sebring and a little caber for Daytona. I tried -2.6 front and the inside of the fronts wore faster and I didn't like the handling as much.
That could be a good starting point Mike. Put a track day on it with those settings and then check your tread wear patterns with a tread depth gauge and/or needle pyrometer (let your tire tell you what it wants). And remember to manage your hot pressures or you are just wasting a perfectly good sticky tire.

29.5-31psi hot.

Have fun!

And congrats on the new car!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 73 Posts

I 2nd that comment about needing a lot of neg camber, at least on the fronts. I was running -2.8 and had a hard time not wearing the outside. I ended up having to run more than what should be optimal pressure (also what you said, around 30hot) just to use the inside of the tire.

Rears I had -2.4 and the wear was nice across the tire running 30 hot.

I found the fronts grained very easily. Perhaps with more camber it would have helped but I was disappointed overall.. probably won't buy another set if/when they become available again.

The rears had so much grip that it completely changed the balance of the car (no on throttle rotation at all). I think the excess rear grip also worked the fronts harder too.

I hear they're changing the compound so not sure if that's true and if so that it means.

I had corsas before which I liked a bit better with this setup. Having said that, the car setup was meant for MPSC's so trying them now to see how it feels.
JJ

Quick Reply: WARNING - Pirelli Trofeo Shred - Must See