Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Coming to this thread and whining about Porsche screwing everyone isn't solving the problems is it?

I think everyone would be happier if Porsche owned up to the problem, but since they aren't, DOT forcing a recall would at least make them think twice about ignoring their short comings while rectifying current problem areas.
I think there are avenues to pursue this legally or through government actions. I am not for either of them. But, I think when owners get together and act together , corporations will listen. In the end, Porsche spending $1000 to take care of this problem, would have made me and other owners happier knowing that Porsche stands behind their products and sometimes they are willing to go the extra mile to keep a customer happy and create loyalty for the brand. That is $1000 well spent, in my opinion. Porsche is taking the other route right now. So, if owners get together, outline their grievances, and send written letter to PCNA, things might change. Not all will get what they want, but most will get something positive out of it. By that, I don't necessarily mean financial compensation, but also improvement in the product design, which ultimately should serve Porsche well.
As an example, forget about the battery explosion, a simple manual release for the front hood is very good input. Unfortunately, that part of my complaint to Porsche was brushed aside along with the battery explosion. Perhaps they thought if they acknowledged one problem (hood release), they would be acknowledging the other (battery explosion) and they threw out the baby with the bath water!
More than anything, I expected a rational response to my complaint, instead I got treated like dirt; that does not feel good.
BTW, if the hood was open and me standing in front of the car and the battery had exploded, the acid would have splashed on my face and skin causing personal injury. So, the exploding battery is a serious issue and for your own safety sake, please read through this thread and use some of the advice that people have posted here.
I really appreciate the interactions of all members here. Rennlist is one of the best forums out there.

Regards,
Kevin.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Had a Bosch S6 closed type with AGM , and successfully used the Porsche charger/maintainer as the instructions didn't mention that a different charger was needed.

I have now a Li-ion battery and according to the manufacturer you can charge it with any standard 12V lead-acid charger and you can also leave the battery on a trickle charger. I did and everything works perfectly.

BTW Here is a pdf from Bosch about normal lead acid batteries that is very informative.
http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang...roch_Final.pdf

I think Bosch bought Optima..
Johnson Controls manufactures the Optima brand. They operate several factories in Mexico and U.S.A.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publi...ds/OPTIMA.html
Sounds like its a battery maintainer problem.

I think you should have probably opened the hood, unscrew the battery caps and see if the water is at the mark or not, if not add water. Ensure the breather tube is connected, start the car and then screw the caps back on and close the hood.
Very good analysis and makes most sense on what happened here.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you REALLY want to feel like dirt, write a calm and professional letter to Porsche citing several cases of the same issue AND an article from a reputable magazine, and then see how they respond... I speak from experience.

Best thing that we can do is to vote with our wallets. Actions speak louder than words when the recipient doesn't care.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Man this sux...I am not sure that Porsche would be liable for this seems to me it would be the battery manufacturer. But I also want to understand more how a Battery Tender can cook a battery....I have a few other cars that have these on them for long periods of time.
Just like my business law professor told the class, when you have to sue, you sue everyone.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen this happen with NiCd batteries... never lead-acid. Not to make light of the situation but I thought it was hilarious that the girl at Porsche was explaining physics to a physics PhD.... You should have recorded that conversation for YouTube!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Best thing that we can do is to vote with our wallets. Actions speak louder than words when the recipient doesn't care.
I don't think it's an issue of the recipient (Porsche) not caring, but in order for them to respond to a claim, they will need quantifiable evidence (facts) of what really happened. Quantifiable evidence in the greatest detail. If the battery manufacturer became involved, they too would want the damaged battery back to perform autopsy tests, and try to recreate what actually happened.

If the battery gets to the lab, the mode of failure will most probably be determined. Internal battery components, (plates, active material, separators, weldments, etc.) can tell the tale of how the battery was discharged and charged, and if maintained properly. Any evidence to the contrary will most likely not be from a defect in manufacture, rather a failure due to the application. Battery failures due to defects in manufacturing would happen after the first cycle or two, not several years after it was placed into service.

So until someone presents thier feedback to the OEM in a quantifiable format, unfortunately the rest will fall on deaf ears.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

This post goes on 5 Pages?

To summarize:

1 - batteries age and sulphate

2 - charging batteries releases H2 which is highly explosive

3 - starting a car whose battery has loose connections may cause sparks

4 - H2 and sparks...

5 - bad things happen in normal daily lives.

Enough!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bford100
I don't think it's an issue of the recipient (Porsche) not caring, but in order for them to respond to a claim, they will need quantifiable evidence (facts) of what really happened. Quantifiable evidence in the greatest detail. If the battery manufacturer became involved, they too would want the damaged battery back to perform autopsy tests, and try to recreate what actually happened.

If the battery gets to the lab, the mode of failure will most probably be determined. Internal battery components, (plates, active material, separators, weldments, etc.) can tell the tale of how the battery was discharged and charged, and if maintained properly. Any evidence to the contrary will most likely not be from a defect in manufacture, rather a failure due to the application. Battery failures due to defects in manufacturing would happen after the first cycle or two, not several years after it was placed into service.

So until someone presents thier feedback to the OEM in a quantifiable format, unfortunately the rest will fall on deaf ears.
And, that is excatly where Porsche is failing; when things fall on deaf ears. In fact, I asked the dealer to keep the old battery. I have taken pictures of the situation. And, this car was always serviced at the dealership; so I am sure they checked the battery during regular services; however the procedure might be. Did Porsche ask for any of that to make their judgement, NO!
If I were to file a lawsuit, I am sure Porsche would respond differently, before anything ending up in the court. I was the one who brought to bear the rod-bearing issue with e46 M3's (and all M3 owners - I think 2001-mid 2002 - mine is an early 2001) got 100,000 miles warranty on their cars because how I forced the issue into BMW's throat. The M3 issue was a more significant issue and required real action and I took care of it, for all us M3 owners. This one is not worthwhile, nevertheless, the way Porsche is handling it has already hit them in their pocket with me. I was planning to get a Panamera 4s; no way I am going to buy anything with Porsche name on it, at least not for a while. Even assuming I messed up the battery, Porsche paying the $1000 repair bill would have been the best $1000 spent! Sometimes you go the extra mile to earn customer loyalty (and not forcing them to necessarily file a lawsuit to get what they want; especially when the barrier is so low - $1000.) Porsche is not willing to do so; too bad for them.

Kevin.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1244
And, that is excatly where Porsche is failing; when things fall on deaf ears. ...
Kevin.

When you make your presentation to PCNA and say...

... I put the key in the ignition, turn it, and BANG, I hear a very loud noise from the front compartment, smoke emanates from the front, and I am thinking something went wrong very badly.
They will refer you to my post #67 above and call your attention to points 2) and 3). Then, I hope you will finally understand what happened. You clearly missed the 'spark' and who caused it.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
This post goes on 5 Pages?

To summarize:

1 - batteries age and sulphate

2 - charging batteries releases H2 which is highly explosive

3 - starting a car whose battery has loose connections may cause sparks

4 - H2 and sparks...

5 - bad things happen in normal daily lives.

Enough!
Well, that's about the gist of it. There may well still be a legitimate issue here, but I agree that after five pages, I think we've worn a circular path. Not that I'm excluding myself from that observation. I guess you might say "into every life, a little rain will fall."
Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

They will refer you to my post #67 above and call your attention to points 2) and 3). Then, I hope you will finally understand what happened. You clearly missed the 'spark' and who caused it.
Case closed IMHO.

Well, that's about the gist of it. There may well still be a legitimate issue here, but I agree that after five pages, I think we've worn a circular path. Not that I'm excluding myself from that observation. I guess you might say "into every life, a little rain will fall."
...and a little rain won't stop me from enjoying my GT3...regardless of what happens when I turn the key.

I'm done.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

I do understand how this happened. The point is it should not have happened because it was not because of improper use of the battery or any other equipment in the car. That is the bottom line.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,649 Likes on 2,325 Posts

whoa....
loooooooooooooong thread to read on iphone will driving in the rain seeking my own demise.
1. porsche is the MOST expensive car to own. everything breaks. the fact that we see 20+ year old p car on the road is b/c just about everything on it is replace. this is very important to understand. porsches over a few years melt. i know. i sell before they melt.
2. kidding aside, i am glad u and ur loved one didn't get hurt in this bizzare episode.
3. it's very hard to expect PAG/PCNA to deal with this issue other than "good will". there are always strange things wrong with these car. i can publish a book listing the issues i have had. but if it's a "rare" incident. why should they deal with it. you have to think from their side. next you know, they have to replace every single battery out there.
4. if it's a MAJOR issue, RMS is not a major issue neither is coolant spill b/c no one died yet. does it worry me? yes. but until ppl die like TOYOTA issues, nada will happen, other than good will from PCNA/dealer. sorry to have to say it, but thats the truth.
5. many of you use trickle chargers. a good battery on 993 and later cars will last 30 days without cranking. i have done this since 1995. never once i can't start the car. if one doesnt drive the car once in 30 days, pls sell it so others can enjoy it.
6. a lot of ppl like lwt battery. no good. i like the largest blob i can find to fit in the car. never have prob. and if someone beats me on track or redlight grand prix, it's only due to my lack of skill and fat guts. bigger is better. (but the 30+ day battery life listed in #5 was on OEM battery from factory, some are new, some are 5 years old)
7 talk with dealers/PCNA to get good will effort, warranty will not do it. you can sue them, but you will end up spending money and time. i once sued CHP... bad mistake.... real bad.....
8 the most effective way to deal with the issue is vote with your wallet. i am tired of fk'g porsche issue, but i haven't found another manufacturer that as less ahole than porsche. so i an at their mercy.
8 rad may argue buiying a fiat. but the only thing red i like is redheads with right amount of freckles on the right places. only interesting type i haven't tried. on bucket list.

whew.... good luck, get it fixed and drive it until it smokes OUTSIDE the garage.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,649 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I do understand how this happened. The point is it should not have happened because it was not because of improper use of the battery or any other equipment in the car. That is the bottom line.
i understand, but this is like arguing with cityhall. you wont get any where. i have a stupid sister who cries all day. mom scold me no matter why, even when i was in college 400 miles away from home. i aruge, i lose, no allowance. you will never win....
it's not your fault it blew up.
but you will still lose.
vote with your wallet.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Probably too llittle too late, but is it clear that the dealer contacted the PCNA regional rep and discussed this issue with them?

I know I will regret asking this.

Quick Reply: Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!