Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!

All,
I wonder if anyone knows of this issue. This is a true story, not a joke!
I have a red 2007 GT3, some of you in the bay area may have seen it. I keep the car in fantastic shape. A few days ago, nice sunny day out here in Ca, I go to the garage to start the car up to have a fun ride. I put the key in the ignition, turn it, and BANG, I hear a very loud noise from the front compartment, smoke emanates from the front, and I am thinking something went wrong very badly. Thinking the car had caught fire, I try to open the trunk, all electrical systems are down and the trunk can't be opened. Smoke still coming out, I try to find out if there is any type of manual release for the hood, none! It cannot be opened. Now, my other car is right next to the Porsche, thick smoke coming out, and I can't move the car out of the garage, I am thinking, God, trouble: the fuel tank can explode, the other car can catch a fire, and the whole house can be burned down! Ran inside, took my wife and son out of the house and anxiously observed the car from outside until smoke stopped coming out and there was no sign of fire. I cautiously approached the car and see this water-like fluid coming down the entire front end of the car. At this point, I am guessing the battery exploded and the water-like fluid is perhaps acid battery. I pour baking soda on it; rest assured, it is battery acid! The car was a total mess, I towed it to the dealership and they confirmed the exploding battery. Now, this was a battery that was completely functional before the incident and always maintained using Porsche charger. The cost to clean up the car and replace the battery >$1000! I call Porsche and asked them to address the issue, I got this lady explaining to me the lead-acid battery physics (I am a PhD in Physics!!) and saying that Porsche cannot cover any of the expenses and it is expected that lead-acid batteries can explode from time to time! I am thinking, WOW, am I talking to Porsche or some used car dealership trying to deny responsibility. Funny (and unfortunately) enough, at the dealership, the service adviser tells me that it once happened at the dealership in the shop as well and the noise was so loud that they could hear it inside the showroom.
Have you guys heard of such a thing? This was an OEM Porsche battery in perfect working condition and just exploded out of the blue. It could have easily exploded the fuel tank and God knows what would have been the result with the car parked in the garage, me in it, my other car right next to it, etc. etc. I am even more amazed at Porsche's response and denial of any responsibility, financially or otherwise. This has left a very bad taste of Porsche in me, in general. I am so upset, this may be my last Porsche ever.
I am telling you all, I have never seen a battery explode like this. Going bad, I understand, exploding, this is a first ever for me. And, the battery was not dry, as evidenced by the acid all over the car and on the floor of my garage.
Be warned, there is something wrong with Porsche OEM batteries and even if it causes serious damage to your car or other property, personal injury, or even death, Porsche will not take responsibility. This is what the lady told me on the phone!
Any comments or suggestions?
Kevin.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn! are we seeing the legacy of weideking's grandiose ideas backfiring now?
glad everybody/car/house ok.
more issues to contend with! exploding oem parts spilling out acid and coolant, unwanted abs brake fade......
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Thanks! I am glad we are okay too! I am telling you, my wife, inside the house, far from the garage, heard the explosion noise. It was scary. Especially sitting in the car and seeing the smoke coming out.
Worse than all the drama is the response from Porsche. I mean, this is Porsche and you don't expect this type of, almost disrespectful, response. The lady basically told me, Porsche does not care; even if there was serious injury or death, she said, Porsche is not responsible and batteries can explode from time to time!!

It's funny, reminds me of iPhones or laptops catching fire. The response from both Apple and the laptop company was much more mature and corporate like than Porsche! I am very upset.

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1244
All,
I wonder if anyone knows of this issue. This is a true story, not a joke!
I have a red 2007 GT3, some of you in the bay area may have seen it. I keep the car in fantastic shape. A few days ago, nice sunny day out here in Ca, I go to the garage to start the car up to have a fun ride. I put the key in the ignition, turn it, and BANG, I hear a very loud noise from the front compartment, smoke emanates from the front, and I am thinking something went wrong very badly. Thinking the car had caught fire, I try to open the trunk, all electrical systems are down and the trunk can't be opened. Smoke still coming out, I try to find out if there is any type of manual release for the hood, none! It cannot be opened. Now, my other car is right next to the Porsche, thick smoke coming out, and I can't move the car out of the garage, I am thinking, God, trouble: the fuel tank can explode, the other car can catch a fire, and the whole house can be burned down! Ran inside, took my wife and son out of the house and anxiously observed the car from outside until smoke stopped coming out and there was no sign of fire. I cautiously approached the car and see this water-like fluid coming down the entire front end of the car. At this point, I am guessing the battery exploded and the water-like fluid is perhaps acid battery. I pour baking soda on it; rest assured, it is battery acid! The car was a total mess, I towed it to the dealership and they confirmed the exploding battery. Now, this was a battery that was completely functional before the incident and always maintained using Porsche charger. The cost to clean up the car and replace the battery >$1000! I call Porsche and asked them to address the issue, I got this lady explaining to me the lead-acid battery physics (I am a PhD in Physics!!) and saying that Porsche cannot cover any of the expenses and it is expected that lead-acid batteries can explode from time to time! I am thinking, WOW, am I talking to Porsche or some used car dealership trying to deny responsibility. Funny (and unfortunately) enough, at the dealership, the service adviser tells me that it once happened at the dealership in the shop as well and the noise was so loud that they could hear it inside the showroom.
Have you guys heard of such a thing? This was an OEM Porsche battery in perfect working condition and just exploded out of the blue. It could have easily exploded the fuel tank and God knows what would have been the result with the car parked in the garage, me in it, my other car right next to it, etc. etc. I am even more amazed at Porsche's response and denial of any responsibility, financially or otherwise. This has left a very bad taste of Porsche in me, in general. I am so upset, this may be my last Porsche ever.
I am telling you all, I have never seen a battery explode like this. Going bad, I understand, exploding, this is a first ever for me. And, the battery was not dry, as evidenced by the acid all over the car and on the floor of my garage.
Be warned, there is something wrong with Porsche OEM batteries and even if it causes serious damage to your car or other property, personal injury, or even death, Porsche will not take responsibility. This is what the lady told me on the phone!
Any comments or suggestions?
Kevin.
I can't unravel everything you've written in this post, but it sounds like you've had a "Hindenburg" event -- a lot of Hydrogen trapped in and around the battery compartment while it was charging, which then ignited due to some electric spark as you turned the key to start the engine.

The location and design of the battery in the 996 and 997 is absurd ... sulfuric acid and high current DC directly above a plastic fuel tank? seriously? ...

But I wouldn't say this is a Porsche thing, it's a lead-acid battery thing. Still and all the same, Porsche should have taken the heat on this explosion and paid for the repairs.

ps. With a PhD or even high school passing grades in Physics, you should know better than most, exactly what a lead acid battery does for its day job.

pps. It's also an atrocious design change for the 911 to have an engine and front compartment that are not accessible by mechanical means. This reminds me to dig into my car and find the mechanical release for the frunk and make a mechanical wire-pull release for the engine lid. Maybe 993 parts can be made to fit ...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Yes. Of course, it was hydrogen explosion. But, for a well maintained battery? I certainly did not expect it. We all have other cars. My BMW's battery does not even have a mechanism to replenish battery electrolyte; because they don't expect it to dry and certainly don't expect it to explode. That is why it's called a maintenance free battery! Even though old technology, lead-acid batteries work for long these days and certainly don't explode when they are dead, they just die. This one intended to kill me with it!!

As I said, the response from Porsche was even more upsetting than the event.

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

was the car still under warranty?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the Porsche branded battery tender actually "cooked" the battery.

And I agree the real issue is that Porsche has moved to a posture of refusing to support their products or their customers.

Why Porsche hasn't gone to locally sourced batteries (instead of shipping lead with the cars) is inexplicable. Porsche should have gone to lightweight AGM batteries long ago.

Sadly, the wildly expensive factory li-ion battery in my 911 doesn't hold a charge and won't crank the engine. Perhaps they should redefine it as "lightweight clock and radio settings backup battery" ... $2000 ... "not intended for engine starter motor applications"
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
was the car still under warranty?
The car's warranty expired in Feb, just a month ago. It has extended warranty but battery is not covered; that is understandable from the extended warranty stand point. However, there was no reason for me to replace the battery. It was working perfect. No matter what the state of the warranty, batteries should not explode under normal use and conditions. This is clearly a major defect and the consequences could have been grave.
Also, the fact that when the electrical system goes down, you can't open the trunk, is a major safety issue. For the dealer to open the trunk, they had to remove the front bumper!! $300 labor charge...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Perhaps they should redefine it as "lightweight clock and radio settings backup battery" ... $2000 ... "not intended for engine starter motor applications"
Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It sounds like the Porsche branded battery tender actually "cooked" the battery.

And I agree the real issue is that Porsche has moved to a posture of refusing to support their products or their customers.

Why Porsche hasn't gone to locally sourced batteries (instead of shipping lead with the cars) is inexplicable. Porsche should have gone to lightweight AGM batteries long ago.

Sadly, the wildly expensive factory li-ion battery in my 911 doesn't hold a charge and won't crank the engine. Perhaps they should redefine it as "lightweight clock and radio settings backup battery" ... $2000 ... "not intended for engine starter motor applications"
I did not know about li-ion batteries having issues! $2000 is expensive for something that does not work...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Woww, this is some experience, a very dangerous one, not to mention the sour taste in the mouth after such event
Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Less liability on PAG's part when it doesn't run. No coolant spilling newhere / no abs ice-mode/ ^no rms issues/ LSD pretty functional when idle. Woohoo can't wait til
I tow my new Porsche to the garage and display it!!! Mike
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

I wished Porsche was more responsive. For something like this, if it had caused more damage, or God forbid, injury or loss of life, Porsche would have been toast.

Apparently there is an issue with these batteries because this was not the first time it happened, according to the dealership. Even if batteries exploded from time to time, which should not be true at all, I think there are devices such as spark or electrical arc suppressors that can be used in the circuit to prevent a catastrophic event, such as this. If I were Porsche, I would have approached the problem positively and try to resolve it; not denying it. That's what gets me.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for you - I had recently opened a thread regarding a bizarre electrical problem with my 08 GT3, which resulted in a FIRE, which I was fortunate to be able to extinguish quickly... car was still under warranty. Porsche blew me off as well.

Glad it was all ok and no one was hurt and damage was minimal.

I got stuck with a $2000 repair bill...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Porsche dealers don’t have well procedures when facing any new complaints even if the car not under warranty but maintained in their workshop. We are talking about BRAND here not a toy from china.

You can see this is true if you visit different dealers for the same problem then you will figure out some dealers will ignore and other will accept to handle the expenses. Even the repair cost is different and I mean different I am talking about 100s times more

I visited a dealer to make wheel balance and they charged me for the two front tires about 21 USD, after sometime I visited another dealer and they charged me for the two front tires 133 USD How come!!!!

Quick Reply: Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!