Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
. . .And I agree the real issue is that Porsche has moved to a posture of refusing to support their products or their customers.
Carrera GT hit the nail on the head. Porsche AG is controlled by Volkswagen now. Evidently VW is intent upon demonstrating that it has no regard for long-term brand loyalty. Its only the cash that comes in today that matters. Pesky warranty and customer service issues may have to take a back seat under the new (VW) way of doing business. They tend to decrease short-term profitability.

Its a familiar story in the corporate world.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

This is the manufacturer of Porsche batteries:

http://mollbatterien.com/Home/tabid/...A/Default.aspx

Most likely, there was an abundace of hydrogen gas that had evolved if you were using your battery maintainer. Hydrogen gasses can accumulate in small areas and if there is not adequate air movement, a spark can ignite it quickly. That is why your hood should always be open and platic battery cover above the battery removed.

A spark can be the cause of a loose battery terminal connection or loose conecting wire to the battery or any other areas.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Carrera GT hit the nail on the head. Porsche AG is controlled by Volkswagen now. Evidently VW is intent upon demonstrating that it has no regard for long-term brand loyalty. Its only the cash that comes in today that matters. Pesky warranty and customer service issues may have to take a back seat under the new (VW) way of doing business. They tend to decrease short-term profitability.

You know, I never thought about this. Prosche used to be very responsive to customers and valued customer loyalty. May be its the VW bosses ruining the brand. It's sad.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by lawjdc

Originally Posted by Bford100
This is the manufacturer of Porsche batteries:

http://mollbatterien.com/Home/tabid/...A/Default.aspx

Most likely, there was an abundace of hydrogen gas that had evolved if you were using your battery maintainer. Hydrogen gasses can accumulate in small areas and if there is not adequate air movement, a spark can ignite it quickly. That is why your hood should always be open and platic battery cover above the battery removed.

A spark can be the cause of a loose battery terminal connection or loose conecting wire to the battery or any other areas.

Yes. I looked through the site: Audi, Lambo, and Porsche. You can add VW to the list and it will be complete!
If the battery tender requires so much work, then it's better to just disconnect the battery. I can come up with a quick release terminal and make tons of money to pay for the repair job!

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/index.php
Is what goes in my stuff after the oem expires.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

can't wait until RMS issues get denied across the board. if they do happen on the .2 rs
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Dealerships/car companies will take a stand like car insurance institutions- they will ask the same question " looks like u tracked the car.....coverage DENIED!!". Mike
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Kevin- that is fking scary what happened. Since stealership is there why not ask if they can relocate the manual pulls so u can get access to it vs taking so and so off. A disconnect would be a very viable option as well but u have to reset clock and all. A sealed battery like a optima would be good to. Mike
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Kevin- that is fking scary what happened. Since stealership is there why not ask if they can relocate the manual pulls so u can get access to it vs taking so and so off. A disconnect would be a very viable option as well but u have to reset clock and all. A sealed battery like a optima would be good to. Mike
Thanks. Will look into it. I think they already put another Porsche battery in it and I did not think about getting a sealed battery.

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, if enough of us band together and report these various problem to the DOT, they will be on Porsche's *** like white on rice. I don't know the exact division that is in charge of recalls, but recalls are triggered by the number of complaints recorded from the car owners.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/index.php
Is what goes in my stuff after the oem expires.
Hey Pete, which Optima do you use? Couldn't find anything listed for Porsche... And do you have to get a bracket made to hold it in place?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Guys, if enough of us band together and report these various problem to the DOT, they will be on Porsche's *** like white on rice. I don't know the exact division that is in charge of recalls, but recalls are triggered by the number of complaints recorded from the car owners.
Sure... We need more government intervention in car design. Not!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is another bad story but I have a question. When you hooked up your battery tender, did you leave the lid cracked or was it closed tight? I always leave mine cracked on the supposition that excess hydrogen gas could vent while the battery is charging. I believe that H2 is lighter than air and will rise and dissipate if allowed to do so. What do others do?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
This is another bad story but I have a question. When you hooked up your battery tender, did you leave the lid cracked or was it closed tight? I always leave mine cracked on the supposition that excess hydrogen gas could vent while the battery is charging. I believe that H2 is lighter than air and will rise and dissipate if allowed to do so. What do others do?
If everything is proper, e.g., battery has no cracks, cell caps tightly closed, draining tube set correctly, and battery cables set tightly, there is no problem. If one or several are not OK, all bets are off.

In addition, battery maintainers can go bad and overcook the battery. In ideal conditions, a new maintainer and a new battery all is fine, fulfilling a role for garage queens. However, when used on older batteries, they fight sulphation and sometimes they have problems and heat the electrolyte. If the battery has a leaky cap or a missing vent tube, and poorly attached cables...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Replacing the OEM battery with a "sealed, maintenance free" type is asking for more problems.

That's because the charging profile is different for the flooded calcium/calcium type that is supplied as OEM vs. VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) which is what the Optima and "sealed, maintenance free" batteries are. VRLA batteries are either AGM (absorbed glass mat) or GEL (immobilized electrolyte). The Optima battery is an AGM type.

The alternator is charging the battery through a regulator that is profiled for the OEM battery. Typically, if you substitute anything else, it will be "overcharged" because VRLA types require a lower voltage cut off at end of charge. Consult the manufacturer for recommended alternatives first.

One can complicate matters even further by adding a "Battery Maintainer" to a VRLA battery, and you risk thermal run away, and more damage due to overcharge and potential premature dry out. No warranty here.......

There really is no reason to use the "battery maintainer" unless your car is stationary for more than 6 months or so, as the ancillary loads and lower temperate climates will cause a combination of self-discharge (which is ordinary in lead acid chemistry) and normal discharge over time because of the parasitic loads. Then a boost charge would be requried, noting the need to ventilate the area well to remove the risk of Hydrogen gas collection and ultimate ignition if spark present.

Best practice according to battery manufacturers would be to disconnect the battery during lengthy times of non-operation. I'm sure this info is noted somewhere in the owner's manual.

Battery failures are quite common when the system integration is compromised in some way other than the intended design purpose, like perhaps it was in this original poster's case.

Quick Reply: Porsches' Exploding Batteries - be Warned!