Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

California Festival of Speed 2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

JR- thanks for posting advice. I've driven the infield track once, but never up on the oval. I'm a little intimidated as well. Any suggestions you might have for cold starting or target hot pressure for street 6-GT3 running Toyo R888's?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
JR- thanks for posting advice. I've driven the infield track once, but never up on the oval. I'm a little intimidated as well. Any suggestions you might have for cold starting or target hot pressure for street 6-GT3 running Toyo R888's?
After your first lap you won't be intimidated anymore. Cautious yes, but not imtimidated. If you get in Thursday or even early Friday morning walk out onto the banking and take a look. It's a fun experience if you haven't walked one before. Daytona is even steeper and actually hard to walk up.
Stay 2/3's up approaching T1 and slowly drop down to apex at the far edge of the very wide access road then back up to the wall. You'll love the feeling, think of a swing set as a kid ....

As for Toyo temps, I would start them off at your normal cold presure since you won't be WOT on the banking for awhile unless you're nuts. Just keep the RR tire a few lbs. above normal hot pressure once you start driving fast. Maybe 38-40 for a R888?...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
RTP356
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add to all the great advice that JR has given:

When you exit the last turn and enter the oval part of the track, stay down low. Do not jump right up to the top, especially if you have a lower powered car. By staying low you do not have to go "up hill" to get to the top just as you start to accelerate and you also decrease the real estate you have to cover. After crossing the start / finish line, then let the car move up near the top and then start your turn in the banking. I have found that staying low lowered my section time for that part of the track by between .1 and .2 seconds - not a lot, but it all helps.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I will be there. First PCA event and first time at Fontana. I will be in my '10 Cup running the TT group as well. Still working on my qualifications to do the races. Not sure what to expect, but it should be fun. I am looking forward to the infield.... a little intimidated by the banks.
dude - did that guy buy your green RS?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
dude - did that guy buy your green RS?
Nope. he really didn't seem too interested in having a track-oriented car (he's only been on a track once... and he didn't like how it chipped the paint on his Carrera S). his wife wanted him to get either a black or white car for joy rides. really nice guy. i gave him some leads on some white RS'. I think he's looking for a bone stock car. he seems to have not posted in a while.

I am torn with what to do with it. I spent all this money making it track beast and didn't really get to enjoy it...tracked it like 5 times in 2 or so years. so i may use it during my POC events.. drive it to the track... race my cup and do a few sessions in TT in the RS... enjoy all the mk2 guys giving me pass-bys... haha. I have GMG working a quote for stop-techs, 18" wheels (will use my Yoko scrubs off my cup), 996 Cup shifter/cables and stiffer springs.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 04-07-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

Headed out there this afternoon.... weather looking better!

JR/RTP- thanks for advice, anxious to get on the track.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 AM
fastsvo
Intermediate

Is Porsche of America going to bring out their vehicles for "test drives"?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsvo
Is Porsche of America going to bring out their vehicles for "test drives"?
YES
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stujelly! Good luck! Have fun! Post videos from your new system!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Only got to run on friday but wholey crap is that track awesome. It is so fast, but yet forgiving. The zone 8 and san diego PCA club did an amazing job organizing it. It was like a military operation.

Hey bill, i have to find a better place to mount the mic, any suggestions? I had it by the rear view mirror. Way too much wind noise from windows open.

The system is getting better, but I need to make some adjustments.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM
perrys4
The Lady's Man
Rennlist Member

Looking to pass along a couple of photos. I grabbed these while waiting for my bosses race. If anyone knows the owners alert them to the photos, thanks.
( Who says 928 guys don't look out for you guys )
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stujelly
Only got to run on friday but wholey crap is that track awesome. It is so fast, but yet forgiving. The zone 8 and san diego PCA club did an amazing job organizing it. It was like a military operation.

Hey bill, i have to find a better place to mount the mic, any suggestions? I had it by the rear view mirror. Way too much wind noise from windows open.

The system is getting better, but I need to make some adjustments.
1) Do you have the dead kitten?

2) I usually mount the mike under the dash (attach to the knee or dash bar)

Give me a call when you get a chance.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
perrys4
The Lady's Man
Rennlist Member

Two more I thought worthy! Also, I have photos of the following cars from the event Saturday at the Speedway. More than happy to pass them along, just send me a pm with the number of your car.

#'s
44...56...15...99...20...73...105...500...763...915...67...463...26...49 8...97...26...00
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by billstevens61
1) Do you have the dead kitten?

2) I usually mount the mike under the dash (attach to the knee or dash bar)

Give me a call when you get a chance.
I was there at FOS also and have the RK in my car. I have the dead cat and a new mic even tried some extra foam. My mic is down in the passenger footwell off the shelf in front of the power plug. Noise not any better. I like the RK system and am not complaining just letting you know the dead cat, extra foam, location etc did not make any difference. Once you are at 100 mph or more with windows down audio is terrible.

Quick Reply: California Festival of Speed 2011