Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Stock diverter valves (BRV) Part number

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:43 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by CRex
A bit of background: the diverter valves (aka blowoff valves) are on the intake part of your air system, located between the intercooler exit and throttle body. They deal with COOL not hot air. Look for them on the top of the engine, somewhat deep in the engine bay. The left one is slightly beyond the coolant reservoir (that white plastic tank with a blue cap) and the other at about the same place on the mirroring side.

As you will see, these are rather far away from the turbos attached to the exhaust manifold. I think you may have gotten them confused with wastegate actuators which, like you said, are attached to the turbo housing.

Whether you go with OEM, EVO or whomever, diverter valves are really a simple thing--they pass intake air to the throttle body and prevent pressure in the intake system from exceeding a pre-set level (typically caused by a snap-closure of the throttle butterflies). When said pressure's exceeded the valves open and vent the excess into either the atmosphere or exhaust. Hardly any rocket science at all...in fact I hazard to say they're one of the lowest-tech plastic bits in your teutonic steed...

Ricers can go ad nauseum about diverters since these things can make some dramatic noise (that boo-schweee sound at throttle lift) but functionally they're all the same as long as they hold boost.

Now im getting a little confused , The boost recirculation valve is actually the diverter valves on our VTG cars correct??

For example on this link the agency power BRV (diverter valves) on post 6 shows that it is directly fitted on the turbine housing?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...on-valves.html
Old 03-18-2011 | 01:20 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

TTurbine what you posted are wastegate actuators for controlling the amount of exhaust flow into the primary turbine. There's one vacuum line going into the nipple connector up top, controlling the output which is a rod connected to the wastegate. Put simply, it's a completely different thing. I doubt this is the part you need?

Sharkey has done a diverter upgrade on a 997.2TT. A few pics relate to the location and design of the valves which are on the UPPER part of the engine. Check this out:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-tu...i-exhaust.html

Re-reading your original post, it seems that you suspect your car's not holding boost. Do understand this can happen from a whole host of reasons, including any of the following:

1. Diverter valve
2. Wastegate actuator
3. Intercooler charge & output pipe fittings, or the intercooler itself

There are many more probable causes but the point is, your DV is only one of the few possibilities. Unless you know for sure it's the DV, you should have your dealer perform a boost leak test and diagnose what you REALLY need...
Old 03-22-2011 | 11:23 PM
GT
Instructor

Originally Posted by CRex

Same part used in 997.1TT thru GT2RS (illustration is from Gen 2 TT but same goes for 2RS--I checked)

U need two of these BTW.

While you're at it, why not consider spring-operated alternatives (as opposed to OEMs which are diaphragm-based) for better consistency/durability:

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...p/cmsdv02b.htm

Sorry this part number does not correspond with BRVs for a 997.1tt or GT2..? Did they change the system for the 997.2 cars? The BRV for the .1 997s are on the VTG itself.
Do you know how it is possible to get those?
Old 03-23-2011 | 05:27 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT
Sorry this part number does not correspond with BRVs for a 997.1tt or GT2..? Did they change the system for the 997.2 cars? The BRV for the .1 997s are on the VTG itself.
Are you referring to the silver actuator with a vacuum nipple in the lower half of the picture (image courtesy of Sharkwerks)? That's the wastegate actuator NOT diverter valve. There's no part number to this, since PAG considers the entire turbo one unit (hence one part number).

I wouldn't mess around with this myself. Calibrating the actuator rod is a precise affair failing which you'll certainly run into over/under-boost problems.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2011 | 05:46 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by GT
This is why i got confused from the start , from what i read and know this part is only for the 997.2 cars and the 997.1 are on the VTGs.???
Old 03-24-2011 | 06:50 AM
GT
Instructor

yes it is this part i think and unfortunately it keeps leaking on my (and other) cars.. I have changed 4-5 sets so far as I run high boost. The aftermarket ones are spring based and more harsh and noisy so I dont really prefer them but it is getting very difficult to find those stock BRVs..
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:39 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by GT
yes it is this part i think and unfortunately it keeps leaking on my (and other) cars.. I have changed 4-5 sets so far as I run high boost. The aftermarket ones are spring based and more harsh and noisy so I dont really prefer them but it is getting very difficult to find those stock BRVs..
GT , Do you have the part number for the stock BRVs?
Old 03-27-2011 | 10:15 AM
GT
Instructor

I wish I knew. I think P does not give those separately to the VTGs! It's crazy!

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Stock diverter valves (BRV) Part number