Car Arriving - Check Step w/Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Me2 Love 'em!
I have four rear and two fronts left (after I flatspotted all four at Roebling)

Searched high and low....they are gone. I heard there is a huge stock pile in south florida that Erik and I may raid....we just need to roll our rear fender to fit 335

If the raid does not work I will be a crash test dummy on Goodyear Eagle RS in two weeks, figure I should do it why I have avalid track insurance policy

Premium Sidewall Styling is worth a half a second a lap
Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

indianam3, welcome to the club! Very cool color - and very rare. I've never seen one in the flesh.

As to your plans for starting to track the car, nothing wrong at all with you starting with the car stock off the showroom floor. It sounds like you've got the safety basics covered and you have prior track experience - so you're good to go, young man!

I too started off this way, and have no regrets. Sure, you may find yourself wanting for more grip or more stopping power, but I applaud you for getting to know the car - as is - first before you go slapping on $$$ go fast bits.

FWIW: I think the stock brake pads in the dot twos are pretty good. The fluid is not really track worthy and you'll probably boil it after a handful of track days. I've moved up from off-the-shelf to: Pagid RS-29 pads, Castrol SRF fluid and slicks for track shoes. Woo Hoo!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice, did your car arrive in port today? Mine did (Rhode Island port), maybe they were on the same boat

My mods are similar, center bypass, bar, harnesses and later this summer some 18's for the track. I am going to go through a set or two of the MPSC because I am anticipating more wheel choices by the summer and I would like to compare my car to my Turbo (which I ran MPSC on for years) before diving in to R6's...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change your brake fluid out from stock to something higher temp, SRF or Motul. With your experience in braking on the track, you'll boil the stock fluid pretty easy I suspect.

If you haven't done paint protection film on that gorgeous (and hard to match) paint, I'd recommend a full frontal wrap as well as the rockers and rear fenders (replace the stock patch). Otherwise you'll be wishing you had as these cars pick up a lot of track grime which leave chips.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure the GMG bar even works for your seat position -- taller, or long-shanks drivers need more space. And some folks here have had trouble with the GMG bar installation. GMG has some good stuff, but I don't count their pre-fab bar as one of their wins.

The design of the DAS is simply a better product. Get the DAS bar. If you want to go hard core, order in cro-mo to reduce weight and increase strength.

I'd leave the rest of the car alone -- no need to change brake pads, etc.

Get the alignment (ride height, corner balance) but I'd suggest you're wasting your time and money to set the car up without doing at least the rear toe arms and removing the eccentric adjusters from the equation.

The Sport Cups are good for the track out of the box, but expensive and have bad habits as they lose their grip. For the driving and experience you describe and the luxury of dedicated track wheels, I agree that Hoosiers (R6 or A6 will be more rewarding, but I'd also consider the new Super Sport once it has RS sizes.)

Zanzibar. Zowie!

Quick Reply: Car Arriving - Check Step w/Rennlisters