Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
PORGT34ME
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which GT3 ?

First I would like to say hello to all the members on here. I am very impressed with all the support you guys offer each other.

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile now and finally decided to make the move and purchase a Porsche GT3. I have tacked a vette and a MX5 in the past. I have 10 track days under my belt and feel very comfortable in a car. Some of the track days were with instructors in the car and I took a driving school course before ( Skip Barber). I would like to purchase a GT3 now and I'm thinking new. I have been told it takes experience to learn how to drive a Porsche 911 on a track because of the rear engine and the over steer that can occur.

This would be my first Porsche so should I learn on a older car like a 2004 GT3 or even a Carrera S first and then move up to a new GT3 (RS) when I get comfortable with it or just get the top of the line car out there? I intend to use the car for mostly track purposes.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Welcome!
As Bruce Anderson always says... get the newest version your circumstance/budget will allow.
Why compromise, if you eventually plan on something new?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will find the newer generations are much easier to drive than a 996 (2004) GT3 and more forgiving on the track.

I'd just dive in to the latest and greatest car that fits in your budget.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Welcome!

The cars you mention are quite different. For instance, the 996 GT3 (04-05) does not have traction control or stability control, and if anything may be a bit of a purer experience, but also more difficult as a learning platform. The new 997 GT3/RS has TC and SC, which can be turned off, but really (really) nice in the wet.

My thoughts anyway. Enjoy the forum, and the hunt for your first Porsche!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Welcome!
As Bruce Anderson always says... get the newest version your circumstance/budget will allow.
Why compromise, if you eventually plan on something new?

+1

Originally Posted by nash
You will find the newer generations are much easier to drive than a 996 (2004) GT3 and more forgiving on the track.

I'd just dive in to the latest and greatest car that fits in your budget.
The 996's and 997's are different driving experiences...

since you state that you are thinking mostly track, then perhaps a cheaper 996 is the answer since then you can spend some extra money dropping the usual laundry list of modifications into it ... something you might be less inclined to do on a more expensive 997 variant.

I would agree that the 997's are easier to drive faster, but if its a track beast then 996(.2) is probably the more rewarding/challenging ride for the track.

but beware it is a (driving) scapel, so if you are not careful you may get 'cut' ...

there are of course some good deals on 997.1 RSes that are worth considering

my advice would be to find some friendly local GT3 owners and go for a ride with them (preferably at a track day) especially if you have never driven the 911
before.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Welcome aboard and I hope you find the car that suits you. I say go latest and greatest that you can afford. If not, option 2 is to buy a older version to save some money and then dump the extra money into molding the car
Old 03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
PORGT34ME
Track Day

I guess I'm a little worried that I may look like a fool driving a 2011 GT3 RS like a old lady till I get the car zeroed in. Hate to get passed.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Dude,

If you can afford a new GT3 RS, go get a driving coach. In no time you will be top gun and I doubt anyone will be passing you.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PORGT34ME
I guess I'm a little worried that I may look like a fool driving a 2011 GT3 RS like a old lady till I get the car zeroed in. Hate to get passed.

you ever been to a ferarri club track event?

If you can afford a new RS, and can find one you like, get it ... you will not be sorry, on the other hand if you dont get one, you may well be sorry when/if you get to drive one ... if you are the sort of guy who wants to strip the car
and build a race car from scratch I'd encourage you to buy a less expensive/rare donor car (although many here have done it ... there is nothing wrong with that lifestyle choice)

I'd encourage you to find a friendly GT3 RLer and get them to show you the ropes behind the wheel ... wont take you long to get the hang of it!

DO IT!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For track purpose, I highly recommend a 2004 GT3. Put a tequipment rollbar, bucket seats, fire extinguisher and harnesses. Better yet, find a car with the upgrades above.

The 2004 GT3 is one of the best driving schools available, it taught me a lot, these days I can drive any other car at a decent pace. The 04 GT3 are affordable, reliable, and fun!

Getting a newer GT3 (07+ or 10+) is just a lot more money to go a little faster. I can put a very experienced driver in a 04 GT3 and a rookie driver in a 2011 GT3 RS or 2011 GT2 RS, and the guy with the 04 GT3 will be faster around a track.

If you want to learn the 04 GT3 is the car. You can learn more in older cars (momentum driving, car control at the limit, etc) like the 84 Carrera or pre 83 911 SC, but maintenance will drive you crazy as they require plenty of maintenance. The 04 GT3 is bulletproof.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
For track purpose, I highly recommend a 2004 GT3. Put a tequipment rollbar, bucket seats, fire extinguisher and harnesses. Better yet, find a car with the upgrades above.

The 2004 GT3 is one of the best driving schools available, it taught me a lot, these days I can drive any other car at a decent pace. The 04 GT3 are affordable, reliable, and fun!

Getting a newer GT3 (07+ or 10+) is just a lot more money to go a little faster. I can put a very experienced driver in a 04 GT3 and a rookie driver in a 2011 GT3 RS or 2011 GT2 RS, and the guy with the 04 GT3 will be faster around a track.

If you want to learn the 04 GT3 is the car. You can learn more in older cars (momentum driving, car control at the limit, etc) like the 84 Carrera or pre 83 911 SC, but maintenance will drive you crazy as they require plenty of maintenance. The 04 GT3 is bulletproof.
+many!!!

Also the 964's are pretty good teaching environments as well, and a little less costly to maintain ...

if you can drive a 996 GT3 (.1 or .2) quickly you can drive pretty much anything fast IMHO.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

If you can afford a 3.8 car then buy it.
It is the one that really makes a difference in the track and in overall performance and daily drive-ability compared to the 996.2 or 997.1 GT3s as the 7.1 car in stock form was marginally quicker than a stock 6.

On the other hand if you can't afford the 2010 cars don't worry much as with the current US prices that I see, the 6 must be the bargain of the century in a value for money chart, especially if we are talking about a track toy.

With a few must have safety upgrades (seats belts cage H/R toe links )you can have 95% of the fun of a 2010GT3 with 50% of the cost.

And btw the ones that told you that the 911 because of the rear engine "oversteers" in the track should go back in the 1970s from where they came from to tip you.. : )

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i would have to play devils advocate and say that learning to drive in a $140K street car is probably not the best idea. If you intend to be good, I would say stick to the miata or any other under powered car and learn to drive it fast. A bonus is you can afford to push the vehicle as far as your skills will take you. I love my GT3 RS but honestly I have way more fun driving the ***** off a dedicated track car.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PORGT34ME
I have been told it takes experience to learn how to drive a Porsche 911 on a track because of the rear engine and the over steer that can occur.

The over steer that can occur in a rear engine porsche was fine tuned in the 993 and progressed even further in the 996-997 platform that now one will not even notice the difference coming from a rear drive/front engine car.

If you got the money, buy a new or used 997.2.
It rides great, tracks great, looks great and will not disappoint you throughout ownership. You do not need to be a "pro" to own and drive one.
It can provide you with a great learning platform to grow on.
At the end of the day these car are built to drive on the street and get your groceries with the A/C and radio on. The track is just a benefit if decided to be used.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, look no further then the 997.1.
Has all the same goodness as latest/greatest 997.2 minus the gearing and slighter more hp advantage.

You will find that the 997 with traction control is a great confidence boost and you can always turn it off if the mood should strike you...

The 996 GT3 is also a great buy for a porsche track experience, however i think you would enjoy the traction control and more refined ride of the 997.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I like the purity of my 996 GT3 and boy is it fun keeping up with faster machinery will all the nannies.

Quick Reply: Which GT3 ?