Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PORGT34ME
I guess I'm a little worried that I may look like a fool driving a 2011 GT3 RS like a old lady till I get the car zeroed in. Hate to get passed.

Who cares what other people think of you?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, everyone has to start somewhere. There was a novice student in a brand new 11 RS at the last event I instructed at and he had a good time even if they were going at a "Sunday drive" pace in that run group. Something you learn quickly if you track a lot is you have to check that feeling at the door - if your ego won't allow passes you'll get yourself in trouble quickly (overdriving when someone is in your mirrors, not to mention poor etiquette).

We're all out there to just have fun, and I don't care if I get passed by a guy driving a riding mower - if anything I enjoy finding the driver after the session and complimenting them! That's how you find cool people at the track - the social aspect is the best part, imo. Besides, you'll be top dog soon enough if you are driving an RS - very few people will be passing you once you build your skillset.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

I wish I would have started with an RS and, stayed with good instructors longer and hired a coach earlier. I probably invested the cost of a new RS into the lesser cars that preceded it.

Just make sure you keep it out of your head that you must run a pace that the car can or should do, learn at your own pace.

Some learn quickly, a pity really as the last 1% is much harder and maybe less fun, also maybe more risky.
If you progress slowely and carefully you just prolong the fun of the constant learning and getting faster :-)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nash
Yeah, everyone has to start somewhere. There was a novice student in a brand new 11 RS at the last event I instructed at and he had a good time even if they were going at a "Sunday drive" pace in that run group. Something you learn quickly if you track a lot is you have to check that feeling at the door - if your ego won't allow passes you'll get yourself in trouble quickly (overdriving when someone is in your mirrors, not to mention poor etiquette).

We're all out there to just have fun, and I don't care if I get passed by a guy driving a riding mower - if anything I enjoy finding the driver after the session and complimenting them! That's how you find cool people at the track - the social aspect is the best part, imo. Besides, you'll be top dog soon enough if you are driving an RS - very few people will be passing you once you build your skillset.
Read it, learn it, live it. Good stuff! Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I wish I would have started with an RS and, stayed with good instructors longer and hired a coach earlier. I probably invested the cost of a new RS into the lesser cars that preceded it.

Just make sure you keep it out of your head that you must run a pace that the car can or should do, learn at your own pace.

Some learn quickly, a pity really as the last 1% is much harder and maybe less fun, also maybe more risky.
If you progress slowely and carefully you just prolong the fun of the constant learning and getting faster :-)
And more wisdom. This is excellent stuff. Totally agreed.

Ok, with that out of the way, just buy a GT2RS while you still can and you need never buy another car again! lol
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

LOL, I believe you but do I really want to go 170-180Mph??
Might have wear a racing suit...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
just buy a GT2RS while you still can and you need never buy another car again! lol
excellent point ... why waste time and money on lesser cars ...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL, I believe you but do I really want to go 170-180Mph??Might have wear a racing suit...
dont knock it until you try it ...

I still recall the day in Germany while taking delivery of my '07 GT3 ... south of frankfurt I came up behind a Turbo (cab) ... I saw the puff of smoke from the exhausts and I thought to myself ... "hello" ... woosh he was off!

well shortly thereafter he gave up trying to pull away from me ... speedo read 185mph ...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First, you can't go wrong with any of these cars.

Second, 996 is purer and cheaper, 997 is more refined but more $$.

Third, if someone catches and passes you, they are probably a better driver "at the moment". Happily let them by and then watch them drive. It's a learning opportunity.

Four, don't worry about the weight bias, just increase your speed gradually and you will "get it".

Five, don't worry about what the others think. You will find it's a pretty tight-knit and like-minded group
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I still recall the day in Germany while taking delivery of my '07 GT3 ... south of frankfurt I came up behind a Turbo (cab) ... I saw the puff of smoke from the exhausts and I thought to myself ... "hello" ... woosh he was off!

well shortly thereafter he gave up trying to pull away from me ... speedo read 185mph ...
I meant on the track, going into T17 at Sebring for example, T1 at VIR, I am already scaring myself and can hardly keep the pads from melting.. On the road I've done plenty of 150Mph driving, it's too tiring, after a couple of hours I'm exhausted and the tank is empty. 160Mph is already on a different level!! 185Mph pfffff..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on the newest version of that model that you can afford as long as it is truly an improved version. Get proper instruction, work your way up on the track, and have fun.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Hate to get passed.

i have a LOT of track driving experience and i get passed by some very low hp cars all the time. and i am not exactly slow either. if you dont like to be passed, you are in the wrong sport.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
PORGT34ME
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Do you think I would be better off with a modified 07 gt3 RS set up for the track already or a new GT3 RS? I would like to add cage and seats and have a car that someone else already spent the time setting up.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like u can go with the newest. I would sidestep 7.1 and ^go 7.2. It's a so much better car. If I ever move from my 6 it definitely be a 7.2 for me. Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Do you think I would be better off with a modified 07 gt3 RS set up for the track already or a new GT3 RS? I would like to add cage and seats and have a car that someone else already spent the time setting up.
It sounds like you want a 997 GT3 already set up with track goodies $$

Yes, if you can find a used GT3 with all the stuff already installed for pennies on the dollar you will come out on top.

But if you cant find it, then throw the extra cash for a 997.2 new or used and begin looking for new and used track equipment and join us on the slippery slope....
Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you'd be pretty happy with an 07 that was kitted out already. We're talking only a few percentage points of maximum potential between each generation of car.

I think you should start with at least 997.1 and then just decide based on the budget and other issues like aesthetics, seats (in 997.2 at least you will find cars that have factory buckets), and colors.

Quick Reply: Which GT3 ?