Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

458 Challenge on Track With GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011 | 06:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by savyboy
I was told the Challenge is 600lbs lighter than a stock 458. All glass was paper thin lexan, doors were carbon, etc etc. Lovely car, just lovely. They run ceramic rotors too!
Sure as long as they are using the real stock weight of the 458 then cutting 600pounds is plausible but if they are talking for the published weight I don't think so.. : )
Old 03-08-2011 | 10:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Pete,

EVO magazine picked GT3RS over GT2RS as COTY. You've tracked both. What's your thoughts? I want to hear from one of us.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Wow! Great video Pete. Car is seriously fast.

I saw a red 458 Challenge car @ Infineon this past weekend. Guessing the same car.
Pete- might have been? There are a handful in the country now.

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Great video Savy, it seems like you guys have been really enjoying yourselves. Waiting for more
Yes, Fatih, we have been enjoying ourselves! Not like you have been deprived the past few weeks It was a great couple of days here.

Originally Posted by sin911
Wow! I'm jealous for sure

Congrats on the car again Savy! Hope you put some miles on the track Now post more vids
Lol, no need for jealousy Sin, we all have fun cars. Plenty of track miles the past two days, I am pooped.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks for sharing - nice video!
You are welcome. I will see if I can put together some more video tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And that thing could move -- the driver was just "point and squirt" but when he gave it a boot full, it was as if I had missed a shift (I was in a 3.8 RS and not sparing the whip.) When the Challenge race comes to Sears or Laguna, I imagine the front runners will put down some "WTF?!" times.
On the straights we were pretty even so it would flat out spank a NA GT3. But the challenge is what 570 hp? 2600 lbs? And super quick auto shifts. Yes, I am excited to watch the race series when it comes on as they should be blazing fast..

Originally Posted by mobonic
good lines Pete.
Ah- you are kind to say Shahin, but after spending today soaking up some Jesse wisdom, the lines of yesterday looked like crap...lol!

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Pete,

Great to finally meet you in person yesterday. Sorry my timing was bad, as we didn't get much time to talk. And I'm really, REALLY pissed that I forgot to bring my helmet! I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a ride in that beautiful beast. Say, what happened to Adam in his white RS? Your video shows him in quite a tank slapper out of T2. Sure hope he didn't collect anything before it came to a stop.
Lar! Great to meet you. Yes, so sorry we couldn't hang out and chat for a while. Yep, you could have had a ride! We should have asked to borrow a helment, don't know why I didn't think of that?

Adam was simply having a bit of fun and no harm done

Originally Posted by 1198r
Just awesome Pete!
Glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Even though 1st time in 2rs what laptimes were u getting? Mike
Mike, remember I am a mid-pack driver at best and running on Cups and not slicks. But I did manage a :42 yesterday. Maybe if my coaching from Jesse paid dividends I did a :41 today? Need to look at today's sessions and see. Jesse and the Viper ACR driver did :36 in the fall on slicks. Shahin did you do :37 in your C2?

No doubt I am leaving a lot on the table in regards to what the car is capable of.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pete, awesome films, love the multiple camera's.

Again, like always, thank you so much for posting
Thanks for the kind words Peter. You are welcome of course! I swapped the camera feeds to make the front view the bigger screen. We just set-up the system in this car the day before I headed out.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Sure as long as they are using the real stock weight of the 458 then cutting 600pounds is plausible but if they are talking for the published weight I don't think so.. : )
Haha...sounds like more Ferrari fudge factor???

I believe the guy who told me the 600lbs. He sets up the cars and provides arrive/drive logistics and support and seems like a straight-up guy. He is based in Reno and I knew him from there before I saw him here at the track.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Pete,

EVO magazine picked GT3RS over GT2RS as COTY. You've tracked both. What's your thoughts? I want to hear from one of us.
Tim- ...well as the kids say: GT2RS FTMFW

Hands down the 2RS is just crazy good. How could anyone not become addicted to the power after a few laps? It is crazy fun to squeeze the pedal and point/shoot. And it is linear enough that the turbo motor is not frustrating or unpredictable. Intoxicating is my best single word I suppose.

The powerband on the "old" GT2 gave up in the upper part of the rpm range. HP and TQ went flat. The new one builds power all the way to red line. It is all well and good to rev a 3RS NA motor to a gazillion rpm, but it is hugely pleasurable to short shift the 2RS and feast on that never-ending creamy delicious torque.

The chassis is superb, other than a touch more front camber and maybe a hole tighter on the rear sway, I have no desire to change anything. My cold pressures for the cups f/r were 23 psi

Not a scary moment in the two track days, but I am leaving a lot on the table, no desire to be the first to crack one up. The GT cars are all fantastic and we are all lucky to have the opportunity to enjoy them.
Old 03-08-2011 | 11:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^ so therefore, why would you want/need to keep your 3 RS? Not trying to be a smart a$$, but it sounds as though the 2 has it all...

So, other than to preserve the value of the 2, which I am not sure really matters anymore compared to the pleasure of enjoying it fully, why would you not just track IT and sell the 3?
Old 03-09-2011 | 12:12 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
^ so therefore, why would you want/need to keep your 3 RS? Not trying to be a smart a$$, but it sounds as though the 2 has it all...

So, other than to preserve the value of the 2, which I am not sure really matters anymore compared to the pleasure of enjoying it fully, why would you not just track IT and sell the 3?
Are you my wife?? Just kidding and i am not taking it as a smartass question. It is a seriously good question...I need to think about this. Isn't it like eating ice cream for every meal? Or bacon?? Just seems wrong on some level?
Old 03-09-2011 | 12:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

just like having 3 gf's in the bedroom, 3 classic p-cars in the garage would make most men happy.
Old 03-09-2011 | 12:51 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Mike, remember I am a mid-pack driver at best and running on Cups and not slicks. But I did manage a :42 yesterday. Maybe if my coaching from Jesse paid dividends I did a :41 today? Need to look at today's sessions and see. Jesse and the Viper ACR driver did :36 in the fall on slicks. Shahin did you do :37 in your C2?

No doubt I am leaving a lot on the table in regards to what the car is capable of.
Well done Pete, I'm sure once you get comfortable with the Beast, you'll be flying around LS.

That a gorgeous car, thanks for posting the Video clip.
Old 03-09-2011 | 01:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Are you my wife??

Keep both, Pete.

The GT2 RS is the ultimate performer, but there's something special, with the power crescendo of a NA motor, not as powerful, not as fast, but on a slower time frame, very satisfying. So, enjoy both.

GT2 RS:

GT3 RS:
Old 03-09-2011 | 01:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FFaust

NO car has it all. much like wives.
if legal, i would have multiples to make money for me to spend.
hell, even illegal, i have........ hum.... i shouldn't disclosing too much now should i. but i do wear three wedding bands, at the same time.. i wonder....
Old 03-09-2011 | 08:26 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Of course, both cars are exceptional and keepers in their own rights. It's just that Pete's earlier description of the 2 *almost* makes the 3 sound redundant... just saying.

Ok, on second thought, and from looking at Tony's pics, you should keep them both. Why? Just because
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:21 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

can't beat that wing on the 3.
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:35 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Don't see this at a DE everday! A lovely 458 Challenge (yes) car as seen from my 2RS. Neither one of us were very fast in relation to car's capabilities but look at the rear view...crazy. Laguna Seca YourPrivateTrackday.com event which was a lot of fun and our "Advanced" group were good, safe drivers. A very fun day.
Hey Pete,

It was great meeting you at Laguna yesterday. Your 2RS is a beautiful machine Great camera setup also.

Missed you in the last session - just me, a 458 Challenge car, and a few others. 50 mins with one stop for gas, and I didn't come across another car more than a couple of times...fantastic!

And it looks like you got some good coaching form Jesse.

Maybe see you at GGR Thunderhill end of March.
Old 03-09-2011 | 04:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mjb
Hey Pete,

It was great meeting you at Laguna yesterday. Your 2RS is a beautiful machine Great camera setup also.

Missed you in the last session - just me, a 458 Challenge car, and a few others. 50 mins with one stop for gas, and I didn't come across another car more than a couple of times...fantastic!

And it looks like you got some good coaching form Jesse.

Maybe see you at GGR Thunderhill end of March.

I shot a photo of your car yesterday

Last edited by ADias; 03-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:05 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone know what Ferrari Racing Days consists of in May at LS?
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:17 PM
foreplay
Intermediate

Great Video

Quick Reply: 458 Challenge on Track With GT2RS