Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Barber MS Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MO: Check the session data - display the graphs for lateral and inline g's in graph mode. Advance the cursor to the point in the session just before the turn. Look at the graphs carefully, They will tell you if you lifted or not, and the lateral g's will tell you where you lost traction. Advance the video in paused mode to whichever point you want to see, and then jump to video mode to see exactly where you were.

See you in April.

Very glad that you are OK.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This sucks but glad you are ok.

Can't thank you enough for posting the vid so that we can all learn something... even if it's just that $hit happens.

We have a saying in aviation: Learn from others' mistakes, you will not live long enough to make them all yourself.

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Malmasri, I was glad you were OK and I am so sorry about the damge to your car but I did not know who you were. Very nice tow vehicle and trailer

I saw you looking at the car afterwards with a small group and did not want to show interest in your bad luck.

You came by to say hello and introduced yourself when I was lining up for tech, but we know each other! I had no idea I was talking to a fellow rennlister. I sent you the seat belts clips last year. You did not recognise my car?
I did not know you have a white/red RS....

Kudo's for posting the incident. No excuses. Respect. We all have or will.

I ran this weekend with TC and SC on. Barber scared me, I probably would have turned it off but you kept me scared and I left it on all weekend. Grip levels were all over. Even Sunday the moist came up through the asphalt. Oil was dumped and some spots just did not want to dry.

Without a doubt that corner / hill was the trickiest all weekend. A couple of times I had to let it sail all the way to the grass on the left where it was the wettest! Early on in the weekend on Saturday morning I also pinched the same corner and scared myself ****less...

It could very well have been me as well.

Again sorry about the damage, but it was relatively light for the speed you were going and it can be repaired. Maybe it takes a few events out of you budget, but no big damage and you did not get hurt. That is the most important of all.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

sorry about the incident
glad you are safe.
it's scary out there.....
get it patched it and bring it over to CA with trakcar.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

This kind of thing happens.
Thanks so much for sharing as it helps remind us to be careful.

You were doing great until the car went light! Wow! It all happens so fast and when that tail starts wagging its anybodies guess on which way it will take you. Very hard to keep it straight at that point.

By the sound of the damage it will only be drivers side repair.
Good news is that installing factory rear fenders on these cars is easier then you would think. Only hassle is waiting for them from Germany.

Now that you have christened the car, you can drive the pants off it again once repaired without worrying about cracking the cherry again......
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry for your RS, glad you're OK.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st of all - Glad you are OK. The car's body damage can easily replaced(unlike a Driver's).

2nd - Thank you for posting the video and letting us review/analyze it. It takes a brave person to start a thread AND to post a video of it. Some of us who are new to the track can learn a lot from the discussion in this thread.

Good Luck and hope you get back on the horse soon!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. That is a service to all who track their cars.

I'm really glad you are ok.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
RWK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo for posting so that others may benifit!

I have also been there myself, multiple times.

I agree with the others analysis, when the car is light on the uphill, the front wheels must point in the ( very close to) exact direction of your inertial trajectory, you must let it track out, without any further input, until it settles, then very gently add steering.

Dont be too hard on yourself, great driving, and learning is never painless!

I have alot of gen 1 RS parts ( guess why!) ( subframes, doors, etc) if you requre any suspension componets just PM me, I would be glad to help.
best,
Bob
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea it's old, and a Cayman, but Hurley is driving.
If anone knows Barber, I think he does!

Notice how much he tracks out at the top of the hill!

Doesn't matter what car you are driving....the line remains the same.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many thanks for posting the video - a true service to those that track their cars. If I ever get a chance to drive what looks like a great track I will use your video.

This turn clearly shares the exact same attributes as Limerock's 'Uphill' turn and why if you even get it a little wrong you can almost guarantee you will hit the wall on the right as you did.

Before I took deliver of my gt3, I attended the 3 day open wheel Skip Barber race school at Limerock - I would recommend this school to anyone. The corner that they spent the most time talking about was 'The Uphill' - and the thing they stressed over and over was as you crest the hill you must have your hands straight - this was beaten into us over and over. For the first two days at slower speeds it didn't really matter as you never had enough speed to unload the rear enough such that the front grip would overload the rear grip and the car would snap to the right as you did. Sure enough on day 3, as they allowed us to use 3rd gear, not 4th, and to use higher rpms (more power), in our class of 12, 2 cars stuffed it into the wall exactly as you did. I was lucky that I managed to catch it on my very first airborn cresting - i.e. you could hear the rear wheels revving in the air for a fraction of a second, I had the fronts 95% straight, the fronts grabbed, I snapped the wheel to the left to counter, **** my pants and on I went. The protocol that day was that we stopped at the start finish line every lap and all the spotters called in and would give us feed back if required on each corner - as I pulled in the head instructor was pointing at me waving the no-no sign (sorta laughed and said nice catch). The only reason that I was able to make the save was that we spent the entire morning practicing catching snap oversteer - and I lucked out. Every lap after that I had the steering wheel and my hands 100% straight not 95% and the corner was still scary as hell as it is not everyday that you go WOT up a ski hill.

If anyone is interested goto trackpedia.com and click on turn by turn guide for Limerock and read 'The Uphill' corner guide. Someone should probably cut and past it for this corner at Barber.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 03-08-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I do not mean to diminish what happened.
Things happen real quick when your at speed.
The same thing happened at the last 3 day I attended, at almost the same spot!

Looks easy, but it's not. Look at the Cass video I posted in the previous Barber thread, he crests that hill
at 100+ MPH in a Carrera S and releves the steering just a touch at the crest of the hill and tracks way out.

The Race-KeeperData may show you some interesting info about what you were really doing, not what you thought
you were doing.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you please exactly point out where the incident happened ?

Turn 5 is the one with double apex, right ?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

The kink on top is T2 I believe.

Looks easy, but it's not. Look at the Cass video I posted in the previous Barber thread, he crests that hill
at 100+ MPH in a Carrera S and releves the steering just a touch at the crest of the hill and tracks way out.
For me it was the trickiest corner of the track.
The approach is blind and it throws you off, even more so when passing cars there. The apex is really before the crest.
A few time I was off line a bit and it was slippery enough that I almost ran out of track to the left, the car stays light very long.
When getting used to the track, I had to break a few time uphil becasue I was not sure I could make it over the crest.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Crest of hill is T-4
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Barber MS Mishap