997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pm sent
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM
jshudson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most important is that you are ok! I am also glad to hear the damage is contained.
I was in the paddock up on level 3 when I heard the impacts and my stomach dropped. Again, glad you came out unharmed.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Gus F
Instructor

So sorry to read this, but the most important thing is that you are OK, and yes it is important to remember the risk that we are accepting when driving or racing that is part of the excitement I think...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that, glad you are OK. I had to pay $5k for new armco at Texas Motor Speedway when I stuffed my Turbo into the tirewall & armco. What robbery... That incident shook me up a little but I was back on track in a few months and haven't looked back since. If anything, it made me a better driver and appreciate the harnesses I had literally installed 4 days prior!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks to every one of you for the honest sympathy and support.

Here is a clip of the incident...feel free to comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52eZ..._order&list=UL
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kush07
Glad to hear you're okay. We were garage neighbors at VIR last year, and you were nice enough to show me the line in my car and took me for a ride in yours. Clearly an accomplished driver. Sometimes that quick peek over the edge results in more trouble than is easily imagined.
Thank you for the kind words, I do remember VIR

Originally Posted by billstevens61
:-(

Let me know when you are going to be at Mid-Ohio.
I will be at MOH in April with OVR....with or without the 2RS.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Thanks to every one of you for the honest sympathy and support.

Here is a clip of the incident...feel free to comment
Sorry to see this happen. It's great you are OK! From my amateur's perspective (watching your video) it appeared that you lifted for the 90MPH you carried over the hump... Was that it or a mechanical failure?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
...Always believe what your common sense is telling you,and follow it, I did not this time...
Malmasri, can you tell us what you meant by this part of your opening post? Curious because that part of the track scares me a bit...I mean the way the car gets light.
Thanks and glad your ok, sorry about your car.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. I was there and saw this unfold from the upper deck area of the press area. It appeared to be a much more violent hit watching it realtime than on video. Glad to know you and the car will be back another day. Makes a really good case for having the correct equipment. I found the TC/PSM very intrusive with lots of standing water on Saturday afternoon and ended up turning it off, then coming in early from the really wet sessions. Lessons learned here for all of us, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

First off, glad you are OK and the car just has "cosmetic" damage. I kept looking at the track map and was expecting something to happen at one of the hard turns. It looks like you got a little squirrely after you came over the rise and the car was unweighted,maybe. It was just odd, and happened so quick. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear all this, but thank you for sharing so much info. It really is a risky sport.
Thankfully you are safe.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. Glad you are ok.
Thanks for posting the video so that I can learn from it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Sorry again malmasri, I knew this was the turn you were talking about... this turn and hump combined is not to be trust at all, I remember last time I was there, they warned me, but suddenly I also felt I was going to loose the car there,... all the turning has to be done beforehand in the compression part going uphill, then after I made sure to keep the steering as straight as possible before and until the car set after the hump.

For anybody new or relatively new to a track I think the lesson here is, beside the obvious, to take really seriously the advice that people who knows the track give (at least in my case).
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Good to see you again, so sorry about your car. Glad you are ok. I think I found the same stream Saturday, it was not in a good place. Here's to a speedy recovery for your car! See you in April!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Sorry to see this happen. It's great you are OK! From my amateur's perspective (watching your video) it appeared that you lifted for the 90MPH you carried over the hump... Was that it or a mechanical failure?
No lift untill the failed recovery.

Originally Posted by paver
Malmasri, can you tell us what you meant by this part of your opening post? Curious because that part of the track scares me a bit...I mean the way the car gets light.
Thanks and glad your ok, sorry about your car.
What I meant was that I should have followed my instinct which was telling me to keep the TC on and to go slower up that hill as I felt the cars rear end getting light and jittery up the hill on each prior lap but I kept progressing

Originally Posted by got2go
Thanks for posting the video. I was there and saw this unfold from the upper deck area of the press area. It appeared to be a much more violent hit watching it realtime than on video. Glad to know you and the car will be back another day. Makes a really good case for having the correct equipment. I found the TC/PSM very intrusive with lots of standing water on Saturday afternoon and ended up turning it off, then coming in early from the really wet sessions. Lessons learned here for all of us, thanks for sharing.
I know...I saw the fear in the face of the corner worker as he screamed "Am I OK".

Originally Posted by Gus F
Sorry again malmasri, I knew this was the turn you were talking about... this turn and hump combined is not to be trust at all, I remember last time I was there, they warned me, but suddenly I also felt I was going to loose the car there,... all the turning has to be done beforehand in the compression part going uphill, then after I made sure to keep the steering as straight as possible before and until the car set after the hump.

For anybody new or relatively new to a track I think the lesson here is, beside the obvious, to take really seriously the advice that people who knows the track give (at least in my case).
with progress this is bound to happen I am told....

Again thanks to everyone for the sympathy and I mean EVERYONE

Quick Reply: Barber MS Mishap