Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

better off with GT3 or GT3rs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
you are exhibiting the early stage signs of a disease most of us have... let me save you a bit of money... skip the gateway drugs and go straight to heroin - get the gt3 or RS

you are already hooked you just have not admitted it to yourself - we can all see it a mile away

submit - it is awesome - let it envelop you

:-)

save enough for a tow vehicle and a trailer
+ 1 ! lol
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote GTS. That's my pick for a Double duty car. With PDK of course.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Paver.................
Thanks for the heads up on Suncoast Porsche. I already saw this stunning green RS. It is what got me thinking in the first place and posting my questions.

Kyrocks...............
I live in the Des Moines area which has no Porsche dealer. A very nice offer to show me your car.

Additional information.........
I've also got a 2011 Spyder, 2001 heavily modified for the track Lingenfelter Z06 Corvette, 2005 Ford GT plus the 2009 C2S. The Vette needs to sell before I can do a GT-3 or RS. I also have a tow vehicle and Featherlite car trailer specifically outfitted for lowered cars. What I don't have is enough garage space!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

PM sent.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't think you'd regret going with the GT3. More raw by a good measure than a C2S it will still haul the mail, and on the weekends, with the windows down, listening to that sweet flat six music , you will be more than satisfied to slog through another workweek, just to hear it howl on the weekend.

Bottom line is that it will get you from point A to point B as well as any other vehicle, but the visceral feel and total performance waiting to be unleashed is like an addictive drug that is available in but a precious few cars, regardless of price. The GT3/RS is a special car, indeed.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by paver
John Weires, check http://suncoast.porschedealer.com
They have the 3RS you'd want. It's beautiful.
I second that . WOW
Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Hmmmmmm. Maybe the Cayman R is the perfect car for you? You don't need to go to fast to have fun in it, it's very light, and it's the best handling car Porsche makes.

But still. A GT3 is a GT3.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by va122
I vote GTS. That's my pick for a Double duty car. With PDK of course.
i agree.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrara
Hmmmmmm. Maybe the Cayman R is the perfect car for you? You don't need to go to fast to have fun in it, it's very light, and it's the best handling car Porsche makes.

But still. A GT3 is a GT3.
FWIW, I believe Aristocrat Porsche in Kansas City has a Cayman R inbound and another allocation for July/August.

Oh, and a beautiful new GT2RS just arrived this week. Sold of course, but worth a look.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM
RAPID
Racer

I just re read your post, you say you've never driven a GT3. Do drive one, and I think you'll have your answer. My dealer let me try one for a whole day, and I ended up signing for an RS straight after...It is that bad!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

had a look at the gts today - quite impressive for dual purpose, light tracking.
nicely finished car. well rounded.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM
foreplay
Intermediate

gt3
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

My gt3rs is a hair shirt of a car. You can drive anything as a dd if you want.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john weires
I currently have a 2009 911 2S with PDK. I have not had a chance to drive a GT-3 or RS version. I love my 911 and am curious what the next level up is like. I'm also smitten with the cool looks of the GT3's, especially the rear wing.

I would use the car the vast majority of the time as a nice weather daily driver plus an occasional 2-3 hour one way trip. I do have some track experience but the nearest track is several hours away so likely only a visit or two per year.

Is either one of these cars practical for me?

How about issues with the:
Clutch pedal pressure
Noise levels
Ride comfort
Ride height.. Is the front axle lifting system a good idea?
Are these hard to get? What kind of discount can I expect?
How have these models held their resale value compared to regular 911's?

I really like the signal green color. Is this PTS only or has this color ever been offered as a standard or optional cost choice?

Lastly has any one heard rumors about the next generation GT3 offering
PDK?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
Last July I went from a 09'C2S (w/OEM SSK & PSE added at the dealer), and had an outstanding car.....then into the 2011 GT3RS.

Very (very) different cars overall...........But, I was suprised at how well it was just for highway use (kept off of the harder suspension setting), seats were actually nice. I far preferred them to the C2Ss vented seats, and well, lateral support was fenominal (sp?)...... Longer drives in the mountains.......considering that is a full day adventure was just fine. The standard CF seats are excellent. (At best wife says a little lumbar pillow would be perfect for her). Clutch release although stronger, seemed to be a much lower release and not bothering at all. Interior "noise" is higher than the C2S due to lack of sound deadning. For that I'd say the CDR30 radio is really all you'd want....... listening to a full PCM would be hard. (Not annoying noise, just louder). And on the "noise", it is a glorious noise to say the least....Axle lift is a must IMHO, which I have.

One thing to mention...... and I didnt look it up but......I am not sure how different the sound deadening material is between the GT3 and GT3RS (that I have) so that comparison I made may apply to the RS alone, as would the seats that come in the RS.

I do know (for example and I'm sure there are many others), that Hennessy near me has a nice white loaded up 10' GT3 that was just traded in on a GT2RS.

Quick Reply: better off with GT3 or GT3rs?