Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

better off with GT3 or GT3rs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default better off with GT3 or GT3rs?

I currently have a 2009 911 2S with PDK. I have not had a chance to drive a GT-3 or RS version. I love my 911 and am curious what the next level up is like. I'm also smitten with the cool looks of the GT3's, especially the rear wing.

I would use the car the vast majority of the time as a nice weather daily driver plus an occasional 2-3 hour one way trip. I do have some track experience but the nearest track is several hours away so likely only a visit or two per year.

Is either one of these cars practical for me?

How about issues with the:
Clutch pedal pressure
Noise levels
Ride comfort
Ride height.. Is the front axle lifting system a good idea?
Are these hard to get? What kind of discount can I expect?
How have these models held their resale value compared to regular 911's?

I really like the signal green color. Is this PTS only or has this color ever been offered as a standard or optional cost choice?

Lastly has any one heard rumors about the next generation GT3 offering
PDK?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Stick with non gt3 for that little track time
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyway, the c2s pdk is quicker in a straight line than the gt3.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i think you should stick with the C2S PDK. it is great porsche 911. Especially if you DD the car.

(a GT3 has a tad heavy clutch, and low front chin spoiler which make approach angles difficult at times)

also, if it is green you want, then only the RS 07-08 models will offer you that choice which is a little rare but can be found.

you really have to love the GT3 engine and concept to live with it daily.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Like the OP, I have been curious about a GT3 or even an RS except I have never owned a Porsche at all. I'm close to making my first purchase(maybe Boxster Spyder, C2S, or GTS). Expect to buy sometime in the next couple of months. Anyhow, are you guys saying don't buy GT3/GT3RS as a DD unless you plan to spend a lot of time at the track or just don't buy one as a DD at all?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to echo the prior advice. The GT3 as a DD is only for the die hard, gotta have a GT3 driver.

The new GTS with the PDK (order with padels) would be a killer DD. Fast when you want it to be, subtle for traffic and damn good looking. Can't beat that combination.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Like the OP, I have been curious about a GT3 or even an RS except I have never owned a Porsche at all. I'm close to making my first purchase(maybe Boxster Spyder, C2S, or GTS). Expect to buy sometime in the next couple of months. Anyhow, are you guys saying don't buy GT3/GT3RS as a DD unless you plan to spend a lot of time at the track or just don't buy one as a DD at all?

we are saying that a GT3 is not the best tool in the box for DD when it comes to steep slope approach angle driveways and long traffic lines and bumper to bumper traffic.

A GT3 is a great car, even if the owner never sees a track. One dosnt need to track to own and enjoy a GT3.
Just that the GT3 is like owning a classic car at times.... you need to be careful with it and the clutch peddle is not for the faint of heart in heavy traffic areas.

It is for a true passionate enthusiast.

If you get off on driving a race car on the street with the revs and howls, then this is the car for you... they are screamers!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
we are saying that a GT3 is not the best tool in the box for DD when it comes to steep slope approach angle driveways and long traffic lines and bumper to bumper traffic.

A GT3 is a great car, even if the owner never sees a track. One dosnt need to track to own and enjoy a GT3.
Just that the GT3 is like owning a classic car at times.... you need to be careful with it and the clutch peddle is not for the faint of heart in heavy traffic areas.

It is for a true passionate enthusiast.
Yeah....what he said!

Probably the most accurate description you will find. May as well close the thread after that post. Well said TCS.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

a gt3 is like a hooker. you wanna see her once a week. every night is too much.

if you gonna track at least 4 times a year, get a gt3.
if you gonna track zero, or try it once or twice, then a boxster spyder or c2s or gts is just fine.
on the road, it's hard to use the upper range of the gt3, so the other cars are willing and able to give you pleasure in more instances and maybe a little bit more practical.
on track, the gt3 leaves them for dead.
you gotta be honest to yourself and make up your own mind as to what use you want to get out of it.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. That helps.

I don't know where I'm headed with all this but I have been to 2 PSDS schools in the last 30 days and am already signed up for a third. I can't get enough right now. I really want to learn track driving. It's feeling a helluva lot like an addiction
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Thanks guys. That helps.

I don't know where I'm headed with all this but I have been to 2 PSDS schools in the last 30 days and am already signed up for a third. I can't get enough right now. I really want to learn track driving. It's feeling a helluva lot like an addiction
you are exhibiting the early stage signs of a disease most of us have... let me save you a bit of money... skip the gateway drugs and go straight to heroin - get the gt3 or RS

you are already hooked you just have not admitted it to yourself - we can all see it a mile away

submit - it is awesome - let it envelop you

:-)

save enough for a tow vehicle and a trailer
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

that's a good sign. if you truly love driving and tracking and it's in your blood, then get the gt3 for sure!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
...let me save you a bit of money... skip the gateway drugs and go straight to heroin - get the gt3 or RS
PJS996GT3, I am LMAO because that is the conclusion I came to after finishing PSDS number 1 and after a failed attempt to buy a C2S. I was thinking "F*** it, I don't need the C2S anyhow, why not just go all the way???"
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
that's a good sign. if you truly love driving and tracking and it's in your blood, then get the gt3 for sure!
It sure is tempting. I think I'm going to see what the Masters course does to me and go from there.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

John Weires, check http://suncoast.porschedealer.com
They have the 3RS you'd want. It's beautiful.

Quick Reply: better off with GT3 or GT3rs?