Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

better off with GT3 or GT3rs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
PJS996GT3, I am LMAO because that is the conclusion I came to after finishing PSDS number 1 and after a failed attempt to buy a C2S. I was thinking "F*** it, I don't need the C2S anyhow, why not just go all the way???"
2 PSDS schools in 30 days and going back for the master$ course

welcome to the club (slightly premature, but inevitable)

this is a good support network at RL gt forums

:-)
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You know, for a long time(a couple of years) I put off going to that first one day PSDS. I felt like almost two grand for a day of driving was too much of an extravagance. Time rolled on, one thing led to another and I said what the heck and made the reservation. I knew I would enjoy it.

I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA THAT I WOULD TOTALLY LOVE IT!! After the first track session that day it literally felt like someone had injected a drug straight into my veins! Words just couldn't describe the feeling I had.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhhh... that is cute
:-)

go RS
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to addiction.....
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

To the OP: You will miss your C2S PDK as a daily driver. The GT3 can be a DD, but it is not as good as a C2S/4S/GTS. I love my C4S as a DD, but I love my GT3 even better at the track. It is very frustrating driving the GT3 on normal roads because I can't use its upper range power. When I do, I get a speeding ticket! Where in Iowa do you live? I can show you my GT3 before I leave this summer.

Aussie jimmy...you put it so so well. The GT3 is like a hooker - I want her a few times a week, I ride her hard and she keeps wanting more.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I really do not understand the comments denigrating GT3 as a daily driver. Mine is my only car and I would not have anything else...I explore the upper rev range on a regular basis and the rortiness and tactility cannot be duplicated by a C2S, fine car though it is. I also do not find the clutch extraordinarily heavy, just a tad more than my previous 911s.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought my 997.1 GT3 RS made a great daily driver (except it was too eye-catching). But it was easy to drive. I didn't find the 997.1 GT3 to be a poor DD - not ideal, but not a pain.

I haven't driven a new C2S PDK. But the PDK alone makes it a better DD. I would go GT3, but I am biased. Everyone will have different expectations for a DD - so drive both (more than a 5 min spin) and make you'll figure out what works best for you.

Now to your Q's:

Clutch pedal pressure - PDK is not manual, GT3 stiff but I find ok for DD

Noise levels - I don't listen to music. Music comes from the engine - LOVE it. Fine for DD

Ride comfort - I found it about as stiff than my Lexus IS-F! C2S is very nice with PASM

Ride height.. Is the front axle lifting system a good idea? - Front splitter will rub, but it is a cheap part - so no big deal (esp. if you leave it unpainted). Don't know about the front axel - no experience with it.

Are these hard to get? What kind of discount can I expect? - it's a buyer's market. Deals are there to be had. Nice used copies are going for $100 - $110K with low miles (5-8K miles), depending on options such as PCCB's etc. for 997.2 GT3s. 997.1 GT3s are in the $75K range with higher mileage - ~15K miles,

How have these models held their resale value compared to regular 911's?

I can speak for Canada. The GT3s hold their values FAR better due to their scarcity. Much less depreciation and great exclusivity. Think about the number of Aston Martin DB9's and Bentley Continental GTs/Flying Spurs,... are like 1 GT3 to 8 of these cars combined.

Last edited by SSTHO; 03-02-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 of any kind for any use, even if it never leaves the garage. Its just at an entire different level and the mechanics with the GT1 based engine and G96 gearbox.......just so exquisite! RS is great, not required, any old GT3 will do.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I really do not understand the comments denigrating GT3 as a daily driver. Mine is my only car and I would not have anything else...I explore the upper rev range on a regular basis and the rortiness and tactility cannot be duplicated by a C2S, fine car though it is. I also do not find the clutch extraordinarily heavy, just a tad more than my previous 911s.
well said
Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I agree. My daily driver.
With the exhaust flaps closed it is quiet enough to listen to radio and make blue tooth phone calls. I have it permanent unplugged and just shift early when on the Blue tooth phone. Suspension is much softer then my 2000 X5 4.4Sport was with OEM 19". The seats are very comfy, I could sit in it all day. Clutch no issue unless you are in a stop and go traffic jam for a while maybe.

If my wife does not need the other car, I take it only if I need to drive an hour or longer and really only because because it is faster to point and shoot altough there is not much fun to be had on Florida roads and it has a/c massage seats..
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good advices already. Another consideration if you want to use a GT3RS both as a DD and track tool is the clutch, Tcsracing1 mentions it: it is heavy and if you are likely to be stuck in traffic, you need to be seriously fit!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 30 Posts

A very interesting dilemma I was facing a few months ago. I had both a 997.1 GT3 and a 997.1 C2S (with roof rack for my MTB). Took the C2S everywhere, even off road to MTB races in the lake district of the UK. Probably the best car I ever had and I still miss it but I sold it recently to force myself into a GT3 as a DD. Never used the .1 GT3 much though as I was too precious about it. But I still loved it, probably too much....

I took a fancy to a 997.2 RS and was looking into using one as a daily driver here in the UK, with plenty of rain, cold weather and road salt. To cut a long story short the only negatives as a DD as I see it are rust proofing, and cup tyres in the rain. I collected a brand spanking new car yesterday and it seems easier to drive in traffic than the .1 GT3, and the tyre issue may be less than I feared (although I am not complacent). Don't care about "noise levels" 'cos that's why I bought it in the first place. And yes its got a phone, climate control, sat nav and heaps of carbon goodies. Lifting kit works fine and gets me down a gravel woodland track to my house.

If it does not work out I will sell it and buy another C2S.

If you are even half thinking about a GT3 you will always be thinking about one even when it defies all logic, and the only way to know is to get one.

I do not regret it.

If we all bought practical cars this forum would not exist - these cars are an addictive passion. Feed it!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by celestequattro
A very interesting dilemma I was facing a few months ago. I had both a 997.1 GT3 and a 997.1 C2S (with roof rack for my MTB). Took the C2S everywhere, even off road to MTB races in the lake district of the UK. Probably the best car I ever had and I still miss it but I sold it recently to force myself into a GT3 as a DD. Never used the .1 GT3 much though as I was too precious about it. But I still loved it, probably too much....

I took a fancy to a 997.2 RS and was looking into using one as a daily driver here in the UK, with plenty of rain, cold weather and road salt. To cut a long story short the only negatives as a DD as I see it are rust proofing, and cup tyres in the rain. I collected a brand spanking new car yesterday and it seems easier to drive in traffic than the .1 GT3, and the tyre issue may be less than I feared (although I am not complacent). Don't care about "noise levels" 'cos that's why I bought it in the first place. And yes its got a phone, climate control, sat nav and heaps of carbon goodies. Lifting kit works fine and gets me down a gravel woodland track to my house.

If it does not work out I will sell it and buy another C2S.

If you are even half thinking about a GT3 you will always be thinking about one even when it defies all logic, and the only way to know is to get one.
I do not regret it.

If we all bought practical cars this forum would not exist - these cars are an addictive passion. Feed it!
Just do it, then buy a Kia for DD
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paver
It sure is tempting. I think I'm going to see what the Masters course does to me and go from there.
And then do the Cup course at PSDS when it opens up this spring. Then you find out (cheaply) just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go

You sound like me and and my path to addiction. Like many of the posters here, it has been all consuming

Oh- here is the beautiful thing, Spyder...GTS...GT3...you can't make a "bad" choice.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
we are saying that a GT3 is not the best tool in the box for DD when it comes to steep slope approach angle driveways and long traffic lines and bumper to bumper traffic.

A GT3 is a great car, even if the owner never sees a track. One dosnt need to track to own and enjoy a GT3.
Just that the GT3 is like owning a classic car at times.... you need to be careful with it and the clutch peddle is not for the faint of heart in heavy traffic areas.

It is for a true passionate enthusiast.

If you get off on driving a race car on the street with the revs and howls, then this is the car for you... they are screamers!
+1

Go for it - you won't regret it

Quick Reply: better off with GT3 or GT3rs?