Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TC + SC turns itself on? TPS not working right

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 752 Posts

Yes, no TPMS signal could turn it off. Possible.

I guess me and my buddy on slicks are the only ones?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Seems like it ...

I am still a little confused as to exactly what the symptoms/problem is?

- if a catastrophic/instantaneous pressure loss occurs, and is detected by TPMS sensors,
SC+TC automatically comes on, right? - I could see this being a PSM 'feature' not a 'bug', i.e it is
intended behavior.

is there another problem, I am having trouble parsing your earlier comments in the thread?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hey, I can't always be sober and post stuff here at the same time OK?

1. I think I like my feature where when it gives a flat tire warning for then the TPS stops working (Just click away), but turns on the TC and SC when the tire actually is flat. Real flat, not just low I guess. Again, I am not sure because it happened only once and I was real busy not crashing.

2. I think that this feature as become an issue on another GT3 at Orbit that does not at all run TPS's, yet that car turns TC and SC on after 100ft. Scary stuff, i don't want that to happen because of a TPS failure.....

Just concerned and wondering what others have found out.

I have 8 BBS wheels all with TPS. I bought them at different times as well as the TPS.
At first they worked perfectly when I had my first set of BBS with TPS from the same supplier.

Latest news; I will go and look at the inside of 2 of my rear wheels from different batches.
I've been driving around the last 2 days on my track wheels. 1 TPS never worked and it is the only one of my last batch. I ordered those TPS seperately.

So tomorrow morning I am going to find out if I got different TPS and if so switch tires and start out at Barber with all the same TPS on my set. Hopefully the TPS are just wrong on the second set and I can replace them. Maybe I will put the other set on the last session to see if they work or not..
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Peter how on earth a car without the sensors would know it had a flat tire to turn the electronic aids back on.
It is not possible.

About your car that has the TPS again I am skeptical that the electronics turned on automatically after a completely flat tyre was noticed.
I looked in the TI and manual and there is no mention there..
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sorry about the unclear posts. Just that I know of only these 2 instances where the system turns itself on, so I wanted to posted about both.

Peter how on earth a car without the sensors would know it had a flat tire to turn the electronic aids back on. It is not possible.
MY car had sensors. I guess that is my question. I understand my problem and I assumed that the system "loses contact and gives a flat tire warning" But I guess that even when you get -- instead of a PSI number, it is still sensing info and still knows when to turn on TC and SC.

If you are right and no one else observed this maybe it was a coincedense that it turned itself back on when I got a flat tire.. I do for sure know that it was of, I noticed that it was on, I pushed the buttons to defeat again and in the same lap I had a flat tire. It never turned itself on at any time.

The other car had no sensors ever and for a unknown reason also turns on TC and SC. every time after 100ft. Maybe unrelated issues? Maybe the same and mine just happened when i had a flat tire.. Just wondering..
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Well in that case..
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If Slow don't know...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Peter how on earth a car without the sensors would know it had a flat tire to turn the electronic aids back on.
It is not possible.

About your car that has the TPS again I am skeptical that the electronics turned on automatically after a completely flat tyre was noticed.
I looked in the TI and manual and there is no mention there..
PPSM:

Porsche Psychic Stability Management; the JCU (Jedi Control Unit) detected a disturbance in the force caused by the future failure of the tyre and the subsequent demise of the driver against a big hard concrete thing and turned SC+TC back on ... viola ...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok ok I will try one more time, for the one in a million that this really is the norm.

Let's forget TPS for a moment since the same thing happened in a car without sensors, we can rule it out.

The only other plausible explanation I can think is that the ABS rotation sensors notice a great difference between one wheel and the other or between the two axles.

Since a flat tire is smaller in diameter than the inflated one maybe it triggers the automatic on for the aids instead of just throwing an ABS fault.

How is that? Will you sleep tonight?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
PPSM:

Porsche Psychic Stability Management; the JCU (Jedi Control Unit) detected a disturbance in the force caused by the future failure of the tyre and the subsequent demise of the driver against a big hard concrete thing and turned SC+TC back on ... viola ...
^ This would be my plan B. : )
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Ok ok I will try one more time, for the one in a million that this really is the norm.

Let's forget TPS for a moment since the same thing happened in a car without sensors, we can rule it out.

The only other plausible explanation I can think is that the ABS rotation sensors notice a great difference between one wheel and the other or between the two axles.

Since a flat out tire is smaller in diameter than the inflated one maybe it triggers the automatic on for the aids instead of just throwing an ABS fault.

I could imagine this scenario; in fact this is probably a more reliable method of detection than via TPMS (when present) and is probably a function of 'std' PSM that is not disabled even in the GT3 since its a dissaster recovery measure.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Since a flat tire is smaller in diameter than the inflated one maybe it triggers the automatic on for the aids instead of just throwing an ABS fault.
That's what I figured and why I kept mentioning the slicks. Just wanted to see if you were still paying attention to my labyrinth of writing.
Like a baby on Zanax
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I should be banned.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I should be banned.
from doing what exactly? - disengaging your SC+TC???

Dont you wish disengaging SC+TC was a similar process to the one Sigourney Weaver used to self-destruct the Nostromo in "Alien" ....

"5 minutes to SC+TC disegagement ... boing!" ... then jets of steam appear from everywhere and lots of amber flashing lights start spinning ...

can you tell I am bored today ...

Quick Reply: TC + SC turns itself on? TPS not working right