Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

open car trailer size

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PJ how long is that trailer from tip to tail when stored? Just wondering if something like that would fit in a house garage (20' depth)?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nash
PJ how long is that trailer from tip to tail when stored? Just wondering if something like that would fit in a house garage (20' depth)?
I don't think it will... I do not know the total length but if the deck is 17.5, I would guess the overall length is 20.5 at a minimum. I would run out and measure it but I do not keep it at my house.

possible spec sheet on the fl website - I could not find it from my phone.

if I guessed - no
I could be wrong though... it would be close

I know a Canadian that ordered an aluma brand alum 14 foot deck trailer so he could put it in his garage... but the *** of his car hangs off the back of the trailer which is a no go for me
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
nash
Racer

Yeah I think it's unrealistic to fit a trailer in a standard sized garage, but I am building a house and am working on the plans. We could extend the garage to 25' if we wanted - if that made keeping a trailer at the house possible, it might be worth it.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

now is the time if you are building and have the room

might I also suggest a drive thru garage (doors on both sides) if that will work - never have to back it into the garage... just pull thru and unhook... and never crunch your trailer into a wall etc.

more garage is never a bad thing and if it was not for my wife I would live in a garage with a mezzanine apartment or an RV with an enclosed trailer :-)

I am envious - if it fits your property build it bigger than you think you will ever need.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 3110; I believe it was right at 21' from the tip of the coupler to the end of the 17' 6" bed.

It just fit my garage so I could put the overhead door down. Your car will fit the trailer no problem, even with a tire rack with room to spare at the rear of the trailer.

I like the apparent weight avantage of the various Trailex offerings, but the Featherlite was great, towed straight as an arrow, and was still easy to move around when unhitched.

For resale, the Trailex would probably be quicker, but it's hard to find used 3110s at a good price as well.

J
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
nash
Racer

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the pass-through garage is not possible. Sounds like it would fit if we were to make a 25' garage though. The issue is it's two 2-car garages facing each other, so maneuvering a trailer may be impossible anyway. It's probably more realistic to get off-site storage for a trailer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

go deep and get one of these:

http://www.powermoverinc.net/
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the BEST part of pj's trailer are those powerdercoated wheels
Actually, best part is the two supports at the back that allow to have the car in the trailer even if not hooked up to the rig. Not sure if they are enough to load and unload, but it would be nice.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Actually, best part is the two supports at the back that allow to have the car in the trailer even if not hooked up to the rig. Not sure if they are enough to load and unload, but it would be nice.
those supports are add ons and available from any trailer supply store... PO put them on... It is never loaded without being hitched... in the shop pic, it is hooked up to a fork mounted hitch ball on the forklift. I would not trust loading without the hitch hook up and just the supports.

One thing I added that you cannot see are some deck mounted risers with parking stops for the front wheels. So you simply drive on to the trailer, front wheels go up little riser ramps and into parking stops. This does two things -- easy to accurately place fore and aft on trailer without a second set of eyes telling me to inch forward more more more STOP as I hit the deck mouted box AND it rasies the front end about 2 inches which allows the drivers door to swing all the way open over the trailer tires with the fender removed which makes getting in and out a whole lot easier.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
those supports are add ons and available from any trailer supply store... PO put them on... It is never loaded without being hitched... in the shop pic, it is hooked up to a fork mounted hitch ball on the forklift. I would not trust loading without the hitch hook up and just the supports.
Yeah, kind of a dumb comment on my part. I would never load\unload without being hooked. Good to know about the supports.

... parking stops for the front wheels. So you simply drive on to the trailer, ...and into parking stops.
Standard on the Trailex

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust

Standard on the Trailex

Thanks for the info.
so are surge brakes

no problem
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

+1
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
i've been happy with 3110 model. it fits the gt3 just right.
i always have to remove my front lip to get it up the ramp (using homemade wood extension). what ramp extension are you using to be able to load the car on the trailer w/o removing the front lip?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedoflight
i've been happy with 3110 model. it fits the gt3 just right.
i always have to remove my front lip to get it up the ramp (using homemade wood extension). what ramp extension are you using to be able to load the car on the trailer w/o removing the front lip?
I have been using some race ramps that the PO included in the sale of the trailer... they work perfectly in concert wiht the FL ramps... if they were and inch or two taller it would help... my cup splitter on my lowered car just rubs part of the race ramp on the way up and down but not enough that it bothers me in the slightest...

here is a pic (with my former car) with the race ramps on the ground in front of the trailer

PS: the cayman wheels were being hauled for someone else
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the same featherlight and love it.

It has a fiberglass valance on the front. I had an aluminum box build and put on the tongue. The trailer length is 17.6". My rs.2 fits great on it. I drive it right on. I tow the trailer behind a gmc dually truck and it pulls amazing on the freeways here in CA.

I dont understand the love affair with trailex, or whatever you call it but it seems like there is alot of happy campers out there.

The featherlight appears to sit lower and the car is easy to load with the right ramps. You can make a custom ramp from foam, so you dont have to mess with 2 x 6 wood. Go to Raceramps.com. They will make anything you need. This along with a set of mac custom tie downs thru the wheel and you can load in about 10 minutes.

No worries

Quick Reply: open car trailer size