Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First Post on Rennlist *Greetings*!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:40 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking First Post on Rennlist *Greetings*!

I have been reading some of the forum threads (great reads and community) and have decided to join - only except I don't currently drive a Porsche at the moment. However, I am looking to get into a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3.

I have a 2010 Lexus IS-F since Dec 2010. I tried to compromise and have one car between the wife and I. It's February now and I have been spending more and more time scrounging information and pricing for 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's. It's not working out for me.

A bit of my car history:
- M3 (E46) Cab (6-speed)
- Porsche 996 TT (6-speed)
- Porsche 996.2 GT3
- Porsche 997 C4S Coupe
- Porsche 997 TT Coupe
- Porsche Cayman S
- Porsche 997.1 GT3 RS
- Lexus IS-F

The 996.2 GT3 was my favorite car to drive (fun factor and driver involvement). I found it a perfectly fine DD and a superb track car stock. When I had the 997.1 GT3RS, I was shocked to find how easy to drive the car was in comparison. I am not considering the RS models as they are too flashy with the decals. I just want to enjoy the car and have less unwanted eyeballs.

I drove the 997.1 GT3 for a week when I had the 997.1 GT3 RS. I remembered a springier clutch and notchier gearbox (forgive my lack of tech-speak) in the non-RS. After driving both, I would have opted for the non-RS.

I recently drove a 997.2 GT3 in Portimao, Portugal late 2010. I drove around an unfamiliar track (15 laps) when I have been driving automatic for a while - so I am unsure of my first impressions. The car is just amazing,... I was speechless and it was heaven on earth.

SO - I am unsure of getting into a 997.1 or a 997.2 GT3 at the moment. I feel that this could be a car I will keep for the longer term; use 3-4 times on the track per year; take 2-5 hour road trips 10x times per year). I will have this car and another for the wife and I as a DD (something AWD, auto, 4 doors, etc.).

Anyone with personal ownership/driving insights and opinions, please chime in.

I have been looking harder at these 2:

2008 997.1 GT3 (sport buckets, OEM roll cage, and remaining warranty)

http://www.zibe.com/for-sale/used-20...l-5236697.html

2010 997.2 GT3 (PCCBs, low mileage)

http://www.barriermotorsporsche.com/...AC2A9XAS783158

TIA! Looking forward to participating more!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the board. You'll find a tremendous amount of information here.

As far as which car to go with, I will tell you what EVERYONE has told me - get the latest model that your budget will allow. Porsche generally makes improvements every release and with the GT3, this mantra holds true.

More horsepower, better brakes, improved suspension seem to be the areas which most pointed out to me. I drove both, and have to say that the 3.8L engine in the MKII is fantastic.

The only thing I wish that I had gotten in my car is the GT2 seats, but, that is because I like the track. If the car is a DD, the sport adaptive seats are fine.

Have fun! It truly is a rewarding experience.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and I say go with the latest and greatest if you can afford it
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Want a silver one set up like the white one?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Welcome!

The GT3 has you name written all over it.
the 2010 is a lot more comfy then the 996 Gt3 you had ;-)

I'd go for the newest longest warranty I could afford. If you are concidering a 110K 2010GT3 you are awfully close to the price of a 2010RS, although the regular GT3 is all you'd need or want.

If a GT3 then try to get one with the sport seats and DEM. Add a roll bar, seat belts and a set of wheels for the occasional track weekend. Get good rain tires, like Miichelin PS2's and you can drive it year around, but not in snow.
If the deal and car is right PCCB would not add ot detract either way, so I would go steel and save the money.

There is a great GT3 for sale on the forum for less then 100K with all the goodies..
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to RL fellow BC'er. I'd try for the .2 as well. GLW search.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

There is a great GT3 for sale on the forum for less then 100K with all the goodies..
Agree. Go for DD GT3 RD's car.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I have been reading some of the forum threads (great reads and community) and have decided to join - only except I don't currently drive a Porsche at the moment. However, I am looking to get into a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3.

I have a 2010 Lexus IS-F since Dec 2010. I tried to compromise and have one car between the wife and I. It's February now and I have been spending more and more time scrounging information and pricing for 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's. It's not working out for me.

A bit of my car history:
- M3 (E46) Cab (6-speed)
- Porsche 996 TT (6-speed)
- Porsche 996.2 GT3
- Porsche 997 C4S Coupe
- Porsche 997 TT Coupe
- Porsche Cayman S
- Porsche 997.1 GT3 RS
- Lexus IS-F

The 996.2 GT3 was my favorite car to drive (fun factor and driver involvement). I found it a perfectly fine DD and a superb track car stock. When I had the 997.1 GT3RS, I was shocked to find how easy to drive the car was in comparison. I am not considering the RS models as they are too flashy with the decals. I just want to enjoy the car and have less unwanted eyeballs.

I drove the 997.1 GT3 for a week when I had the 997.1 GT3 RS. I remembered a springier clutch and notchier gearbox (forgive my lack of tech-speak) in the non-RS. After driving both, I would have opted for the non-RS.

I recently drove a 997.2 GT3 in Portimao, Portugal late 2010. I drove around an unfamiliar track (15 laps) when I have been driving automatic for a while - so I am unsure of my first impressions. The car is just amazing,... I was speechless and it was heaven on earth.

SO - I am unsure of getting into a 997.1 or a 997.2 GT3 at the moment. I feel that this could be a car I will keep for the longer term; use 3-4 times on the track per year; take 2-5 hour road trips 10x times per year). I will have this car and another for the wife and I as a DD (something AWD, auto, 4 doors, etc.).

Anyone with personal ownership/driving insights and opinions, please chime in.

I have been looking harder at these 2:

2008 997.1 GT3 (sport buckets, OEM roll cage, and remaining warranty)

http://www.zibe.com/for-sale/used-20...l-5236697.html

2010 997.2 GT3 (PCCBs, low mileage)

http://www.barriermotorsporsche.com/...AC2A9XAS783158

TIA! Looking forward to participating more!
Welcome to the board. A little off subject but I would like to hear your ownership impressions of the Lexus IS F. I am looking to replace a daily driver (98 Lexus GS 400). Was thinking 2011 M3 but the IS has gotten some good reviews and oh that Toyota/Lexus reliability...
Jim
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I am leaning towards a 997.2 GT3 at the moment. Unfortunately, the White one at Barrier Porsche at $110K has already been sold. Eric there tells me they may have another one incoming, but nothing used at the moment.

The more I think about it, the less likely I will be taking this car on the track. More like 1 - 2x sessions per year. Based on this, track set-up is cool, but far from necessary for me.

Izzone - I would be interested. My goal is to have an understated car and my first 996 GT3 was Silver. Details and pics would be great.

TRAKCAR - Though not interested in a 997.2 GT3 RS due to the decals and "look at me" factor, I have not seen these trade near non-RS ones. I have seen 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3s with comparable pricing,...

I have sent a PM to DD GT3 RD about his Meteor Grey 997.2 GT3. I am a stickler for OEM and am not sure if I want the car to be louder, etc. My goal was to be understated and the color works for me. Will resale value change much with his few modifications? I also wanted to ask him about the brakes as I read on a previous thread that he was very irritated by the sound. From the GT3's I have had, I never noticed it being "very" (subjective for everyone) loud. 996.2 GT3: some squeaks at the stoplight after about 13K miles and maybe about 6x+ track sessions on steel brakes. 997.1 GT3 RS with PCCB's: never noticed any sound at all, maybe did 2x+ track sessions with it and only had it for a couple of months and less than 3K miles. Anyone think this is an issue?

Buying private in CA and bringing it up to Canada is my biggest issue. I do not need leasing/financing, so I guess that makes it easier. However, I have some reservations dealing with private versus a dealer (some recourse). I was thinking that it may be possible for the owner of the Meteor Grey car to sell to the nearest Porsche dealer to me: Roger Jobs or Barrier Porsche. I would have a deposit and agreed upon terms for purchase with the Porsche dealership so they won't have any exposure if I change my mind. Ideally, it would be great to get a CPO car and all the dealer recall letters etc. be done there. Also, I intend to service my car where it was delivered. Does this make sense or anyone else have any other suggestions? I have never done this so any advice would be very helpful.

96redLT4: The IS-F is the best sounding car of the M3, C63, S4 pocket rockets in my humble opinion. It is fantastic for getting from A to B without any drama (I bought Japanese for reliability and low maintenance costs). Above 3700rpm, the car just makes the most amazing sound! However, it does lack in the handling department. The 2010 has the LSD and improved suspension and I find traction lacking - even when it is on Michelin PS3s. I swapped with a friend's E92 M3 for the past week and noticed how much lighter and more responsive the M3 was. Power was better in the IS-F, but feel and well-roundedness felt better in the M3. As for the C63, I can't get past the cheap feeling center console,... power is certainly there. Drove the M3 and C63 on the track back to back and enjoyed the M3 much better as a well rounded car. So - it depends what you have in the garage. As a compromise car for the wife and I, it is the perfect car (she can't drive stick). If you do a lot of highway driving, the 8th gear is fantastic. No regrets - I just can't do the compromise!

Does anyone know if the 997.2 GT3 will be the last GT3 with the Metzger engine? That will make a difference to me. It's bulletproof - tried, tested and true.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Yes, last Metzger engine.

It should definitely be possible to do the deal through the dealership. I've done this on "private" sales twice now. You usually have to pay the document fee which isn't much $100-200. This also saves tax for the seller, if he/she wants to buy another car from the dealer. It's called an "in-and-out" deal. That would give me piece of mind too. You may be able to get an additional CPO on the car for 2-3K more, but that would definitely require the stock muffler be put back on. As for the "modifications" done, they are very insignificant. A full clear bra is beneficial, the Sharkwerks exhaust is something most GT3 owners want and does not void warranty, and the pedals are also insignificant. These mods absolutely do not devalue the car. If he's got the stock exhaust still, you can get that put back on if it makes you feel better. I would leave the Sharkwerks exhaust on, but that's me.

BTW, I lived in Edmonton for twenty some years. Love Vancouver (except the Canucks! )
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I am leaning towards a 997.2 GT3 at the moment. Unfortunately, the White one at Barrier Porsche at $110K has already been sold. Eric there tells me they may have another one incoming, but nothing used at the moment.

The more I think about it, the less likely I will be taking this car on the track. More like 1 - 2x sessions per year. Based on this, track set-up is cool, but far from necessary for me.

Izzone - I would be interested. My goal is to have an understated car and my first 996 GT3 was Silver. Details and pics would be great.

TRAKCAR - Though not interested in a 997.2 GT3 RS due to the decals and "look at me" factor, I have not seen these trade near non-RS ones. I have seen 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3s with comparable pricing,...

I have sent a PM to DD GT3 RD about his Meteor Grey 997.2 GT3. I am a stickler for OEM and am not sure if I want the car to be louder, etc. My goal was to be understated and the color works for me. Will resale value change much with his few modifications? I also wanted to ask him about the brakes as I read on a previous thread that he was very irritated by the sound. From the GT3's I have had, I never noticed it being "very" (subjective for everyone) loud. 996.2 GT3: some squeaks at the stoplight after about 13K miles and maybe about 6x+ track sessions on steel brakes. 997.1 GT3 RS with PCCB's: never noticed any sound at all, maybe did 2x+ track sessions with it and only had it for a couple of months and less than 3K miles. Anyone think this is an issue?

Buying private in CA and bringing it up to Canada is my biggest issue. I do not need leasing/financing, so I guess that makes it easier. However, I have some reservations dealing with private versus a dealer (some recourse). I was thinking that it may be possible for the owner of the Meteor Grey car to sell to the nearest Porsche dealer to me: Roger Jobs or Barrier Porsche. I would have a deposit and agreed upon terms for purchase with the Porsche dealership so they won't have any exposure if I change my mind. Ideally, it would be great to get a CPO car and all the dealer recall letters etc. be done there. Also, I intend to service my car where it was delivered. Does this make sense or anyone else have any other suggestions? I have never done this so any advice would be very helpful.

96redLT4: The IS-F is the best sounding car of the M3, C63, S4 pocket rockets in my humble opinion. It is fantastic for getting from A to B without any drama (I bought Japanese for reliability and low maintenance costs). Above 3700rpm, the car just makes the most amazing sound! However, it does lack in the handling department. The 2010 has the LSD and improved suspension and I find traction lacking - even when it is on Michelin PS3s. I swapped with a friend's E92 M3 for the past week and noticed how much lighter and more responsive the M3 was. Power was better in the IS-F, but feel and well-roundedness felt better in the M3. As for the C63, I can't get past the cheap feeling center console,... power is certainly there. Drove the M3 and C63 on the track back to back and enjoyed the M3 much better as a well rounded car. So - it depends what you have in the garage. As a compromise car for the wife and I, it is the perfect car (she can't drive stick). If you do a lot of highway driving, the 8th gear is fantastic. No regrets - I just can't do the compromise!

Does anyone know if the 997.2 GT3 will be the last GT3 with the Metzger engine? That will make a difference to me. It's bulletproof - tried, tested and true.

Great review of M3 vs ISF. Lexus is I'm sure more reliable but less fun to drive. And as someone said somewhere else, there does seems to be a BMW dlr on every corner now!
Jim
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

go with the 997.2.

it is the be all, end all. especially if you plan to hold for a long time.

only go with the 997.1 if you are trying to save a couple of bucks on a tighter budget.

it is always nice to see a non RS has a market
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

kyrocks - thanks for letting me know about the stock exhaust for CPO. It never crossed my mind. What do you think about a CPO warranty? I am uncertain if I will be keeping the car longer than 3 years and it is always possible to get it afterwards (just unsure of the practical process and cost). As for Edmonton, I am a big Eberle fan and as for Vancouver, I really don't care for Luongo - but love the Sedins! Always good guys at Norden Autohaus: Ben Kolbuc (ex-dealer principle) and Randy Miyagishima (sales manager).

Jim - most welcome. The IS-F fits the bill for my wife and I. Downtown Vancouver is littered with M3's and 911's, etc. However, people just tell me it's a really neat looking Lexus - but not sure what to make of it. It is a fantastic DD and good for road trips. Gauges are very attractive, but the center console looks a little dated. I am also biased as a good friend is the owner of a couple of Lexus dealerships in Vancouver.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Honestly, on a 2010, i wouldn't pay extra for a CPO now. You still have factory warranty remaining.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are right on the lean toward the 997.2 GT3, hope you can find the right one.

Quick Reply: First Post on Rennlist *Greetings*!