Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trailering GT3 RS for the 1st time... TIPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011 | 09:24 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

I like through the wheel and mac custom tie downs makes a nice 40 inch soft tie that runs thru the wheel and has a ratchet tie down built in.

I have hauled my rs all over the us, and never scratched a wheel or had the car move a fraction of an inch.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2011 | 12:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Tow hooks all around, criss-cross rear and check after .5 - 1 hour (open trailer).
Originally Posted by stujelly
I like through the wheel and mac custom tie downs makes a nice 40 inch soft tie that runs thru the wheel and has a ratchet tie down built in.

I have hauled my rs all over the us, and never scratched a wheel or had the car move a fraction of an inch.

Good luck
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/ ... they're great ... they also do instructional videos ... some of which explain why "criss cross" is not such a good idea in all cases ... : )

whatever "soft" tie strap you use, it will eventually get dirty ... so use microfibers and treat them as recycling once they show any sign of grit ... they do wash well, but that means having a washing machine that will be gathering grime and chemicals ... probably not smart for health's sake.
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:42 AM
mikemdd
Racer

I use Mac tie downs for all my trailering. Great quality and service. It is a plus that they are located just up the lake from my summer house in North Idaho. Great guys.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011 | 10:03 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Mac for me, thru wheels
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

When going thru the wheels make use an opening that's on a straight angle to the wratching anchor point. If you run them thru say at the bottom, the car can shift under load till the straps find the point of least resistance. This of course creates slack. You can also run them thru the spokes on the just the outside of the rim....
Old 02-28-2011 | 10:55 AM
MMC2488
1st Gear

If you don't have E Track, through the wheel is the best way. I get them pretty tight then step on the straps to get any slack out of the ratchet. That way I don't have to stop on the highway to check them every bump.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2011 | 11:57 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the tips guys

I'll probably buy some rennlist hooks and call it day. I was told by some veterans that going through the wheels isn't good especially with stock rear arms as it can change the alignment some.

Quick Reply: Trailering GT3 RS for the 1st time... TIPS?