Thunderhill & Laguna Seca Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tford
Finally made it out to Thunderhill this past weekend and surprisingly we had some very good runs that were dry. I've got a ways to go to get to the average lap times of 2:00, but given I am new to Porsche and the GT3 RS, I was pretty happy with my 2:06. I was surprised by how much the car pushed, I was expecting the exact opposite. I'd appreciate any comments/critiques. Here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5b5Emo8ZM

Cheers,
tford
You're asking for the paddock brigade to critique your driving?
How long have you had these masochistic tendencies? : )

Here's some simple, easy points to work on for your track driving, things I picked up from doing courses like PSDS and things I consciously practice and try to improve ... there's always room for improvement:
  1. don't move your hands from 10-to-2 position.
  2. smooth throttle adjustments ... not on/off ... squeeze and release.
  3. smooth steering inputs ... practice finding the apex without coarse adjustments ... gentle steering adjustments conscious of weight/load on suspension and the work the front tires are doing/communicating
  4. get rid of the "instructor" who thinks hand gestures in your peripheral vision are helpful. : )
  5. practice downshifts in calm conditions at mid-range rpm (not above 5K rpm)
  6. brake in a straight line (early and decisively)
  7. trail brake to the apex (you're coasting and then getting on power before the apex)
  8. learn the "string from steering wheel to throttle" theory for trail braking

2:05-2:10 at Thunderhill is already quick enough that your apex speeds are high enough to total the car and suffer injuries or worse if you lose control. I'd look at the fine detail of the G readings to see if you're causing abrupt peaks and spikes through the apexes. The first step is to smooth out the line and the weight management of the car with gentle control inputs -- throttle, steering and brakes.

There's obvious points around the track where you're leaving time on the table, but I wouldn't invite you to pursue those few seconds until you're confident you have control of the car at your limits.

If anything, I'd suggest backing off a tad and smoothing out the car control and becoming more gentle with the control input before asking the car to carry higher apex speeds.

Set aside whole sessions just to practice blipping the downshifts and decide exactly where on the track to make downshifts ... this is not to slow the car, just to be in the right gear for the track out from the apex.

In a 911, the brakes make the car go faster and steering is done with the throttle. The emphasis is on getting the bugger to rotate without being able to treat it like a purely neutral car where it will "point" (go where the steering points) so its a task for the driver to learn to use the weight transfer to rotate the car. By using the brakes to keep weight on the front wheels, to turn the car, then ever so gently relaxing that braking effort (so as not to let the nose of the car lift and unweight abruptly) you can decelerate heavily in a straight line, then simultaneously ease the braking and turn the car into the single arc that will clip the apex just as you fully release the last drop of braking. This has the additional effect of notionally slowing the front of the car, causing the rear to want to "overtake" --rotating and inducing enough slip angle (describing a wider arc with the rear tires than the fronts) for the rears to control the weight of the car. The driver then controls the steering of the car with the amount of power being delivered to the rears instead of asking the front tires to scrub off speed, which they can't do for long without overheating. And any time you're using the fronts to slow the car with steering angle, it just makes for a slower time between initial braking and first point of wide open throttle out of the turn. All easier said than done. A good coach can help a driver willing to learn how to decompose these tasks into single skills to learn and practice, then putting the whole event into a single operation.

I can't really see your position behind the wheel -- you want to be sure you're becoming very consistent with looking through the turns, sighting each flag worker on every lap, fixing each sight-line for braking points, becoming consistent in placing the car right where you want it on the track and so on.

You're also going quick enough that you must be wearing harnesses and HANS with good roll-over protection (half cage to the B pillars and strut tops) or you're risking serious but avoidable injury in the event of even a minor mistake (yours or someone else bringing you into their scope of failure ... : )
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
tford
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera GT,

Great feedback and I appreciate the detail you provided in the reply. I guess I am a masochist, but i can take it! This was my first track session with video/data and I was really surprised at how poor my hand position was (also noted by TrakCar). I also noticed that I was blipping the throttle way too high on the downshifts. Lots to work on, but that's what I enjoy about driving, you can always get better. I do have a half cage and HANS device. I appreciate you taking the time to provide constructive advice.

Cheers,
tford

Quick Reply: Thunderhill & Laguna Seca Lap Times