Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wavering on getting .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ so true. I'd suggest a few points for your test drive:

1. Driveways - can you get in and out without scraping, if not are you prepared to "crawl" up/down diagonally? If the car comes with a lift, do you find it convenient?

2. Carpark ramps - big issue with urban drivers (me incl.) same as above

3. Noise - it's a big plus but does it draw unwanted attention?

4. Curbside test - park it outside a coffee shop while you and salesman go inside for a chat. Will you feel comfortable leaving it there? (my orange RS fails this test miserably)

5. Passengers - by definition you'll need the passenger seat in a DD - if your passengers share your excitement in the GT3 then great, but believe us when we say GT cars aren't meant for bussing people around... not without inducing motion sickness anyways : )

Ultimately I think you're asking the all the right questions. If the end your heart/head tells you to pull the trigger you'll have a great time--these are very good cars and will put a big smile on your face any day.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie18
Lastly i've wanted a Porsche since i was kid, and i've set my cross hairs on the .2 GT3, i fear if i settle for less I'll kick myself later
You've got your answer right there ^^. Don't listen to the naysayers And if you're still not sure ask yourself:

- If you get the CTS (or any other), are you going to regret not getting the GT3?
- If you get the GT3, are you going to long for the CTS (or any other)? Yeah, I didn't think so.

BTW, it's got nothing to do with logic, you have your truck for that.

I don't know, but it's pretty clear to me, you've got to get it out of your system. There's no ifs or buts
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Best line so far:

also, in 10-15 years a Cadillac will be sold for scrap whereas the Porsche will sit in heated garages throughout multiple owners for generations.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I test drove a CTS-V with the 556hp and eventhough it was an auto.....ain't no way in hell the acceleration was even the same as my 10 GT3. My BMW M3 Sedan makes 5 times times the DD as the CTS-V.

Although I argree that the GT3 doesn't make a great DD. Great weekend car yes. Great autox or track car yes. Great car to bling bling around yes. DD, not really.
Not only is it as fast (and probably easier to duplicate in the auto), it will walk a GT3 for sure on the highway with that power and torque. I love the GT3 but you can't discount an extra 100 or so hp/ft pounds.... The combine a tune, pulley, exhaust on the CTSV.....

Official 0-60 mph time for the 2nd-generation CTS-V is 3.9 seconds, while the quarter mile is run at 12.0 seconds at 118 mph (190 km/h).[6] These numbers were duplicated by Road and Track magazine (0-60 in 3.9 seconds for the automatic and 4.1 seconds for the manual.

Last edited by deputydog95; 02-18-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

As others have said, it depends on what your commute consists of.

If you don't need to carry luggage or cargo, more than one person, your commute is short, curvy, traffic free, you can cope with the noise and the ride, what you drive to work to meet with co-workers or clients doesn't matter, parking at walmart isn't an issue, and the road quality is good without a lot of steep drives... Then a GT3 would work.

Personally I feel a GT3 is a better weekend car. I drive my Volvo to work every day and use the 3 on weekends. The swede doesn't offend clients or referrals sources, I don't care where I park it (usually right up front with all the "door swingers"), its good on fuel, the ride height easily clears most every drive, it's quiet enough to chat on the phone, and the hatch will hold four or five cases of copy paper for the office
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
^ so true. I'd suggest a few points for your test drive:

1. Driveways - can you get in and out without scraping, if not are you prepared to "crawl" up/down diagonally? If the car comes with a lift, do you find it convenient?

2. Carpark ramps - big issue with urban drivers (me incl.) same as above

3. Noise - it's a big plus but does it draw unwanted attention?

4. Curbside test - park it outside a coffee shop while you and salesman go inside for a chat. Will you feel comfortable leaving it there? (my orange RS fails this test miserably)

5. Passengers - by definition you'll need the passenger seat in a DD - if your passengers share your excitement in the GT3 then great, but believe us when we say GT cars aren't meant for bussing people around... not without inducing motion sickness anyways : )
great points - you have to really take care and be aware of speed bumps, curb height, driveway incline etc.......
My GT3 is a weekend toy there is no way I could do a commuter or DD in Atlanta - too much liability.
But man there is nothing like driving this car on a nice day on nice roads w/o traffic.....
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 PM
David911
Instructor

I DD my 997.1 GT3. 50 mile commute each way, occasional stop and go traffic.

I love it. My basic criteria is that I want to feel like I am driving, not just getting from point A to point B. My previous car was an E550 coupe. It was very fast, very quiet, and had a kick *** stereo, but I felt like I was dying a little each day - no joy.

The GT3 is loud, raw and low, but it is very involving to drive.

I do think it is pushing it on the loudness scale, not from the engine perspective, but from the tire/road noise. A continual drone on the highway. Stereo is hard to hear, but it is what it is.

Scraping the chin spoiler is the only thing that I really do not like. If you get bothered by little scrapes, it will probably drive you a bit batty. I have reconciled myself to replacing it when I replace the tires.

Oh, one other thing, gas mileage is only about 20mpg on my commute. The V8 Mercedes got 23. I go to the gas station a lot! and we don't have 93 octane gas

Driving it only 5 months a year will be a bit of a bummer, but if you want one there is no reason not to get it.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Refer back to Serge 944 2nd post, right on -
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

perhaps a better comparison would have been the new ZL1 camaro instead of the cadillac cts-v. (both cars share the same engine however)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Thoughts or comments on this car would be great.

2010 GT3 Arctic Silver
Price: 108K or 109,500 with CPO
Miles: ~12K
Options: The usual... Nav, Ceramics, etc ... NO DEM
Mods: GMG Exhaust, full front wrap
Dealer says: Never tracked in good condition

I'm 2000 miles away from the car so i can't see it first hand. Anyone in San Diego want to take a look for me? :-P

Engine Report
Number of ignitions, range 1
2 81.6 h
Number of ignitions, range 2
---
Number of ignitions, range 3
---
Number of ignitions, range 4
---
Number of ignitions, range 5
---
Number of ignitions, range 6
---
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie18
Thoughts or comments on this car would be great.

2010 GT3 Arctic Silver
Price: 108K or 109,500 with CPO
Miles: ~12K
Options: The usual... Nav, Ceramics, etc ... NO DEM
Mods: GMG Exhaust, full front wrap
Dealer says: Never tracked in good condition

I'm 2000 miles away from the car so i can't see it first hand. Anyone in San Diego want to take a look for me? :-P

Engine Report
Number of ignitions, range 1
2 81.6 h
Number of ignitions, range 2
---
Number of ignitions, range 3
---
Number of ignitions, range 4
---
Number of ignitions, range 5
---
Number of ignitions, range 6

---
for under 100k this is your car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=62449
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a GT3, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt...

I say do it. I'm with the others who say that your DD isn't just about getting from point A to B, it's about making the commute the most fun part of your day.

I have a 996 Turbo S which I commute 64 miles every day. I leave home late, and leave work late in order to avoid rush hour so that my commute is a blast each and every time. It's inevitably the best part of my day -- puts a smile on my face every single time.

This leads me to ask: Why not a TT? I personally think you would love a GT3 as a DD, but if you're comparing to a CTSV (or listening to the folks who suggest the M3), then why not get the best of all worlds. The TT with PSS10s will get you close-enough-to-GT3 handling, and all the torque you could ever want (with room for lots more). And it'll do phenomenally well in the rain with the AWD.

To be clear, I'm not trying to steer you away from the GT3. In fact, I'm struggling with a similar decision myself. I'm very tempted by the GT3, and I'm contemplating selling my TTS for one. I just know I'll miss all that torque. It's addictive.

Get the Porsche. You'll love it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Yeah, I keep looking at that too. It's a gorgeous build. It has the DEMs, and the red stitching is pure sex.

For a daily driver though, I'd really want PCM with Nav, Bluetooth, Sound Package Plus, and XM (which passes traffic info to your Nav).
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Not that I'm against a Turbo but the GT3 and the especially the motor has always been the draw for me. And I wanted a .2 for the features that aid in the daily driver factor and the .2 turbos are out of reach.

That Meteor Grey is at a great price and such but i was looking for Silver/GR and hoping for Nav, but I wouldn't be so picky if the right color/mileage came up without it. It also has Carrera white gauges which i really don't prefer (can they be swapped for reasonable price? maybe it seams?). I know this all sounds picky but i don't want to spend 100k for something i'm just "ok" with.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^ Not picky at all. It's a long time to spend with features you don't like.

Quick Reply: Wavering on getting .2 GT3