Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wavering on getting .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Just by reading your post - the GT3 is not for you. Don't take it the wrong way, but another car will serve you better for your needs.
+1

My guess is if you bought the GT3 you will find its finely tuned suspension to stiff, the orchestral sound of the exhaust note to loud and the responsiveness to demanding, and likely be trading it in sooner than later. In any case good luck with the decision.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Second the other sentiments that the GT3 is probably not your ideal DD.

It will thrill you for maybe a month or two, but if you had the CTS-V in mind at least one of the following might appeal to you: (i) rear seat (ii) passenger enjoyment (which there is none in the GT3) (iii) anonymity. By the end of the third month you'll relegate the GT3 to sunday morning status and we'll see another F/S post here...

A lightly used 997TT might fit the bill if you're set on a porsche. If not, there are plenty of choices in the grand tourer category fitting your budget, anywhere from the M6, SL55/63, RS5 to the Maser GT.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I think the 997TT would be a great choice.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Forgot to mention the manual gearshift on a GT3... get a PDK TT and call it a day.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I drive me RS almost every day but rarely longer then an hour. Probably OK to drive 3-4 hours too. Not much less comfy then TT or regular 911.

If you still are not sure or got hung up on color, buy the caddy.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I still think the GT3 is terrible for a daily driver. My commute is long and littered with traffic. The GT3 clutch is heavy and the car is noisy, even with the sport mode turned off.

I think the caddy 4 door would be an awesome daily driver. I have a friend with a 2010. It would definitely out accelerate a GT3 and is entertaining enough in the handling and braking department to have some fun on the street too. Not to mention the interior is spectacular. Never thought I would say that about an American car.

I love the GT3, but if the Caddy was in my budget for a daily I would get that in a heartbeat.
I test drove a CTS-V with the 556hp and eventhough it was an auto.....ain't no way in hell the acceleration was even the same as my 10 GT3. My BMW M3 Sedan makes 5 times times the DD as the CTS-V.

Although I argree that the GT3 doesn't make a great DD. Great weekend car yes. Great autox or track car yes. Great car to bling bling around yes. DD, not really.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Take an E90 M3 sedan over the CTS-V.

Less HP but I find plenty plenty powerful as is. On the street it drives like a dream.

A fast sedan like the M3 or a CTS-V is much more enjoyable on to drive on the street than a GT3. Unless you take the GT3 to some twisty roads with smooth pavement it would be a waste of time when compared to the BMW or Caddy or even an AMG Benz.

The M3 has a completely defeatable stability control and a decent LSD unit. Sideways fun is guaranteed. I don't know if the other sedans have stability controls systems you can fully turn off.

Right now my M3 is a hoot with all the snow we have here. I actually get to drive the car and control it instead of thinking of ways to kill myself to end the boredom when on the road.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM
PNUT
Instructor

i suppose it truly depends on whether your are a "driver" or a commuter. as with me, i define myself in the "driver" catagory. for daily driving, the gt3 is no issue with either clutch, ride, noise, comfort to me. some prefer comfortable commuting, but for me, give me raw emotional involvement in each driving experience, whether to the store or track. as for parking at malls etc, i just go out to "porsche acres", take up two spaces and enjoy the walk.

if your ride is only a means to get from a to b, then don't get a gt3. if your ride is the best part of getting from a to b, then by all means, get the .2 gt3.

i have had mine for over a year and a half, with over 18000 miles and still can hardly sleep the nite before taking her out. for me, that's what the gt3 experience brings. just saying...
Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Forgot to mention the manual gearshift on a GT3... get a PDK TT and call it a day.
I definitely want a manual, a PDK TT is the last thing i am interested in. I was searching for some encouragement on buying a GT3 like i said. It seems many are getting hung up on the fact that I compared a CTS-v (coupe) to a GT3.

The GT3 is without a doubt the car that i want, but i wasn't sure if it was worth the money extra money. I'm certainly not interested in a 4 door sedan regardless of make.

Originally Posted by PNUT
i suppose it truly depends on whether your are a "driver" or a commuter. as with me, i define myself in the "driver" catagory. for daily driving, the gt3 is no issue with either clutch, ride, noise, comfort to me. some prefer comfortable commuting, but for me, give me raw emotional involvement in each driving experience, whether to the store or track. as for parking at malls etc, i just go out to "porsche acres", take up two spaces and enjoy the walk.

if your ride is only a means to get from a to b, then don't get a gt3. if your ride is the best part of getting from a to b, then by all means, get the .2 gt3.

i have had mine for over a year and a half, with over 18000 miles and still can hardly sleep the nite before taking her out. for me, that's what the gt3 experience brings. just saying...
Appreciate the input, with over 18k miles this gives me no doubt that a GT3 can be driven daily for at least 5 months out of the year.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richie18
I was searching for some encouragement on buying a GT3 like i said. It seems many are getting hung up on the fact that I compared a CTS-v (coupe) to a GT3.
that tends to happen around here.....after all this is a pcar forum. Also some get hung up on DD.....and each of us has our own definition of DD.... with Traffic here in Crazy Atlanta and Cali or La for example ...DD takes on a whole new meaning....

Just buy the White 997.1 GT3 listed here for 77k and you will be happy!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If it was my only car I would sacrifice alot of comfort aka DD to get have a GT3 simply because it's thee best car in the world : ). Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie18
Thanks for the comments guys keep them coming. I understand the CTS-v isn't comparable to a Porsche or even a GT3 but my wallet still lets me know there is a significant price different.

I want something raw and fun and awesome. I'm in the midwest so my truck will get action for the winter months, which is why i first set my eyes on the GT3, it's wild enough for ~5 months out the year but still won't break my back for everyday driving. Also I've been dying to get to the track and the GT3 would allow me to do that.

Lastly i've wanted a Porsche since i was kid, and i've set my cross hairs on the .2 GT3, i fear if i settle for less I'll kick myself later. And like i mentioned in the first post, if it weren't for a fellow rennlister i would already own the car and be raving about how awesome it is.

I appreciate the comments, please keep them coming.
You really need to consider a used 997.1 GT3.
It is the same car as the 997.2 except for the gearing and slighter larger displacement.
You will not kick yourself as it is not really settling for less.
It is the same tub.

For the money and your wallet you will best off with the 997.1 for your secondary driver.
Not sure what a new caddy costs, but for 70k a used 997.1 GT3 is a great buy.
Almost as good a buy as a 996 GT3 for 50k.

If you have porsche on the brain, then you will only kick yourself for further waiting to buy one with a caddy or anything else in the driveway.....
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Well check the threads, there is a rennlister selling his .2 gt3 for 100k.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

IMHO most people graduate to a GT-3 after owning a previous RR or MR Porsche, not knowing the OP's Porsche ownership experience maybe the OP would be better off thinking long and hard before jumping straight into a .2 GT-3.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, u can DD a GT3.
is it a GOOD DD? no.
a DD to me is something i can park ANYWHERE, have kids eat in it, drive rain or shine, stuff lumber in it, brief cases in it, dirty bike in it....
I'm with John on this one...

You are wasting your time with these opinions. Go drive the cars and come to a conclusion. And I mean real test drive. Screw your dealer's time - take it for a 30 minute drive minimum. Stop by for a cup of coffee. Get in and out a few times. Attempt steep driveways. Etc.

You aren't gonna drop 100k without a proper test drive, are you?

Quick Reply: Wavering on getting .2 GT3