Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

When Do Guys "Graduate" to Slicks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever, he will need to change the suspension to use a full slick. The stock OE won't be able to handle the higher grip without increasing the spring rate and monoballs.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the OP need an instructor? (around me, BLUE requires one and in white its encouraged to take one at least once per event). Not sure how many instructors want to hop in the right seat of a 400+hp car, on slicks these days. Also don't understand the need for slicks in a DE environment vs say, timed/racing environment where time really does matter.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

First you run all tracks solo on Toyo's / MPSC / Nitto's.

Then you run them all the tracks again on Hoosiers all within 2 seconds a lap of the other GT3's on track that day.

Then you buy shocks and springs and voila, ready for slicks..
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
First you run all tracks solo on Toyo's / MPSC / Nitto's.

Then you run them all the tracks again on Hoosiers all within 2 seconds a lap of the other GT3's on track that day.

Then you buy shocks and springs and voila, ready for slicks..
Agree 100%
Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The decision is really R compounds or (slicks+suspension+trailer) because once you make all the changes needed to make the slicks work properly the car will be very uncomfortable on the street. The best decision if you want to go that far would be to sell the street car and buy a cup (or equivalent) car.....as more and more GT3 Rennlisters seem to be doing.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
The decision is really R compounds or (slicks+suspension+trailer) because once you make all the changes needed to make the slicks work properly the car will be very uncomfortable on the street. The best decision if you want to go that far would be to sell the street car and buy a cup (or equivalent) car.....as more and more GT3 Rennlisters seem to be doing.
Once you go Cup you never go back!

-mike
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

for me I felt like the hoosiers overpower the really soft front springs of the car- on high speed and high G load corners (like you see at infineon, or road atlanta, or rovals like fontana) the springs will actually compress to the point that you can get tire rub on the wheel well. at rinky dink tracks you don't have this issue but it's a really good indicator of how soft the suspension is with these cars.

I personally wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't have "slick" experience on lower hp cars (like an MX-5 cup, SRF, etc) just go bolt them onto their 130k cars. realistically, as has been said- what is your goal? you looking to set DE lap time point by records? Not to demean the fun "track day" but really it's very common to want to upgrade the car to the point of neglecting the drover.

I agree with "racer" above that you might look to spend more focus on instruction rather than equipment if this is a question you're having. it's a really slippery slope and before you spend 15-20k on track days (2nd set of wheels, a few sets of hooters, new springs, new shocks, new sways, labor, trailer, etc) you could very easily ask someone who sits in the right seat and knows what they're talking about.

lastly, a disclaimer- racing a modernized car is a lot of fun. WAY more fun than track days. after a few months of "kicking ***" in my street car I decided to get a pro series race car, and haven't really looked back. it's safer (REAL roll bar, fire system, etc) more development oriented (data, lower hp and does comparable lap times to GT3's on track) and more disposable (bumpers are 200 bucks, tires are 800 a set)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
for me I felt like the hoosiers overpower the really soft front springs of the car- on high speed and high G load corners (like you see at infineon, or road atlanta, or rovals like fontana) the springs will actually compress to the point that you can get tire rub on the wheel well. at rinky dink tracks you don't have this issue but it's a really good indicator of how soft the suspension is with these cars.

I personally wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't have "slick" experience on lower hp cars (like an MX-5 cup, SRF, etc) just go bolt them onto their 130k cars. realistically, as has been said- what is your goal? you looking to set DE lap time point by records? Not to demean the fun "track day" but really it's very common to want to upgrade the car to the point of neglecting the drover.

I agree with "racer" above that you might look to spend more focus on instruction rather than equipment if this is a question you're having. it's a really slippery slope and before you spend 15-20k on track days (2nd set of wheels, a few sets of hooters, new springs, new shocks, new sways, labor, trailer, etc) you could very easily ask someone who sits in the right seat and knows what they're talking about.

lastly, a disclaimer- racing a modernized car is a lot of fun. WAY more fun than track days. after a few months of "kicking ***" in my street car I decided to get a pro series race car, and haven't really looked back. it's safer (REAL roll bar, fire system, etc) more development oriented (data, lower hp and does comparable lap times to GT3's on track) and more disposable (bumpers are 200 bucks, tires are 800 a set)
Great thread with lots of good info, beyond just tire choice. I'm a recent ugrade to white/solo driver, and will readily admit that I have tons to learn. It's almost embarassing how much I don't know. I wouldn't even think about going to slicks at this point. I would think that you'd need to demonstrate proficiency and have some considerable seat time in the Black run group before you'd ever contemplate slicks. I've been impressed at how much better the control and consistency is at higher levels. The really neat thing, and what I like best about the DE program, is that if you pay attention, and listen, you will get better...............So much to learn......so little time!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As most said, suspension not there to handle the slicks. Also Leigh2 mentioned, you must make further changes in alignment for slicks. THey are designed to run with LOTS of negative camber. They are a race tire. So you suspension will be whacked for the street even if you upgrade necessary bits...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Now what is the difference in laptimes say for example Hoosier slicks vs hoosier r6? Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Any DE drover that has not had at least a few weekends with a coach in the car has no business running slicks IMHO. I also think that anyone who has been signed off solo should get a coach ASAP. I regret waiting so long..

My car runs great on Hoosiers; Perfect I'd say. Maybe it is the.2 suspension, but I would not change it. Yes, maybe the car could be a little faster at the limit, but it feels great and is plenty fast the way it is. DE 'member?

If you are into SM, go racing. I never will. You see your expensive car 6 weekends a year instead of every day.
Also; I already have a job and I am not looking for a second job that drains my bank account, requires constant data analysis, thinking, practicing, cheating, lying, camping with noise, blood and tears. But that's just simple me..
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also think that anyone who has been signed off solo should get a coach ASAP. I regret waiting so long.
What a great thread.

Peter, what's the diff between a coach and a DE instructor (provided that the instructor has tons of experience)?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are into SM, go racing. I never will. You see your expensive car 6 weekends a year instead of every day.
Also; I already have a job and I am not looking for a second job that drains my bank account, requires constant data analysis, thinking, practicing, cheating, lying, camping with noise, blood and tears. But that's just simple me..[/QUOTE]

Amen...... I'm lucky enough to break away for a weekend or two every now and then to exercise my car before obligations set in. The reality is that I still have to work for a living, but oh how I love my quality time with the GT3. Makes it all worthwhile!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Peter, what's the diff between a coach and a DE instructor (provided that the instructor has tons of experience)?
A DE instructor is in the car with you so he drives for free that weekend and because he hopes to get a student with some talent and has a satidfying, fun weekend getting the sudents to get rid of his worst habits while making hime safer, go a little faster and make him safer and make him safer.

The coach just confirms what a good DE drover suspect he should do and what a bad DE drover has no clue about. He sits down with you knowing with certainty how to make you go around the track faster, safe or not. He looks at data with you to prove it. If you are lucky he will take your car around to set a baseline that is much faster then you have ever gone around without beating on your car as much..

Trust me on this one; If you have done 3 solo events you are waiting time and money if you have not hired a coach..
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My car runs great on Hoosiers; Perfect I'd say. Maybe it is the.2 suspension, but I would not change it. Yes, maybe the car could be a little faster at the limit, but it feels great and is plenty fast the way it is. DE 'member?
Are you running R6's or actual Hoosier slicks?

Quick Reply: When Do Guys "Graduate" to Slicks?