TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

R6, never ran slicks.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

when you are mentally prepared to accept an "off" from mistakes or over pushing the car
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
when you are mentally prepared to accept an "off" from mistakes or over pushing the car
^ with the result being the bending of your car and being able to walk away from it with out worrying about the cost.

as others have said; make the driver faster, not the car, then get a proper race car and coach and have some real fun.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The coach just confirms what a good DE drover suspect he should do and what a bad DE drover has no clue about. He sits down with you knowing with certainty how to make you go around the track faster, safe or not. He looks at data with you to prove it. If you are lucky he will take your car around to set a baseline that is much faster then you have ever gone around without beating on your car as much..

Trust me on this one; If you have done 3 solo events you are waiting time and money if you have not hired a coach..
Thanks.

So the coach is the logical next step, the evolution, and brings in the necessary tools of the trade
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Whoa... you guys are great... 24 hours and three pages of wisdom...

Guess I asked the original question out of the temptation of taking the "easy" route to improving lap times. But from the feedback here I gather it's better to improve the nut behind the wheel before I go down the equipment path. I've been able to push R-comps to their limit but truth be told I'm not yet confident when I find myself on the wrong side of the performance envelope...

A few posts have alluded to a distinction between Hoosier R6's and "true" slicks (which I assume to be full race tyres like Mich's). Is it fair to say the R6's are a go-between the typical R-comps and full-on slicks?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
A few posts have alluded to a distinction between Hoosier R6's and "true" slicks (which I assume to be full race tyres like Mich's). Is it fair to say the R6's are a go-between the typical R-comps and full-on slicks?
yes that is fair to say IMHO
Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I would agree also
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Guys thanks for the many insightful data points. I'm going to get a few more sessions on MPSCs but have ordered a set of R6s to keep trackside for those days when I feel more adventurous. It'll be an interesting exercise driving those two different configs back-to-back.

I jot down handling notes and lessons learned after each track day in hopes of becoming a better driver one day. Something tells me I'll have plenty to note after this comparo : ) Hopefully it'll be safe and fun!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I think maybe we should set up a test day to make sure your car is safe to have sticky tires.
We will need your car, Hoosier, a set of slicks and a full tank of gas.
A full write up with various driver opinions will be given at the end of the day.
We Rennlisters sure are helpful huh?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
I think maybe we should set up a test day to make sure your car is safe to have sticky tires.
We will need your car, Hoosier, a set of slicks and a full tank of gas.
A full write up with various driver opinions will be given at the end of the day.
We Rennlisters sure are helpful huh?
Sounds like someone's bored and needs to go out and drive their car more

Hey, I backed the car out of the garage on Sunday, and once it was well warmed up, I drove it back in and shut the door

Quick Reply: When Do Guys "Graduate" to Slicks?