Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Proper Upshifting technique on a 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Honestly, how much time are you saving by doing this? I'm sure there is a way to find more time in your braking, corner entry and exit and better race craft than in power shifting. Just my opinion of course.
+1 seriously!

Talk to someone who had a gearbox rebuild (me) and what it costs!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

dude a 996 cup car is NOT A REGULAR TRANSMISSION. it's a RACING TRANSMISSION. it gets rebuilt every 30-50 hours...or less if you're abusing it. it's also got a 800lb 3 plate clutch or something to that effect. if you drive one you'll see the startling difference to a street car.

yes, in a cup car you can lift at redline cutout. that's also how you drive a star mazda or a usf2000 or a formula atlantic as well...but- then again...those cost thousands of dollars a day...

do not flat shift a gt3 street car.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a dog box in Lea Keen's car. It is absolutly not a street car transmission.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 770 Posts

I

Shift

Sloowleeyy...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
dude a 996 cup car is NOT A REGULAR TRANSMISSION. it's a RACING TRANSMISSION. it gets rebuilt every 30-50 hours...or less if you're abusing it. it's also got a 800lb 3 plate clutch or something to that effect. if you drive one you'll see the startling difference to a street car.

yes, in a cup car you can lift at redline cutout. that's also how you drive a star mazda or a usf2000 or a formula atlantic as well...but- then again...those cost thousands of dollars a day...

do not flat shift a gt3 street car.
Yep, a street GT3 is not a Cup Car, but since this gearboxes are very strong and my car already has a 3 puck Sachs clutch and cup car flywheel... but in the other hand I still have other areas where to improve...and I want to keep my gearbox in one piece.
The main reason I'm discussing this is that If I can shift faster and smoother, then this will help me for shifting in places where I prefer not to do it now.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

bahh, just come in faster, one gear up and don;t worry about shifting!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I want to clarify one point of confusion in this discussion. For all intents and purposes a 996 GT3 Cup Car gearbox = 997 GT3 Street Car gearbox. They are physically the same basic thing. The 997 GT3 has steel synchros on 3-6. The Cup has them on 1&2 as well, but that's not a major difference. However with respect to the internal design, function etc. they are the same thing. The CWP ratio and gear ratios may be different but, a 997 GT3 street box is no weaker than a 996 GT3 Cup Car box. The one physical thing on the Cup box that could be said to be stronger is the shift forks. They are upgraded over the street car. Otherwise it's really the same thing.

Watch that Leh Keen video carefully. That's a 996 GT3 Cup. It's fully synchronized. It's not a dog box and most definitely is not a sequential. It does serve as a very good example of what the OP wishes to discuss. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
I want to clarify one point of confusion in this discussion. For all intents and purposes a 996 GT3 Cup Car gearbox = 997 GT3 Street Car gearbox. They are physically the same basic thing. The 997 GT3 has steel synchros on 3-6. The Cup has them on 1&2 as well, but that's not a major difference. However with respect to the internal design, function etc. they are the same thing. The CWP ratio and gear ratios may be different but, a 997 GT3 street box is no weaker than a 996 GT3 Cup Car box. The one physical thing on the Cup box that could be said to be stronger is the shift forks. They are upgraded over the street car. Otherwise it's really the same thing.

Watch that Leh Keen video carefully. That's a 996 GT3 Cup. It's fully synchronized. It's not a dog box and most definitely is not a sequential. It does serve as a very good example of what the OP wishes to discuss. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
Matt thanks for bringing more light to this discussion,
Matt, what is your opinion on the original discussion point: is it possible/advisable not to lift or just partially lift the accelerator on the upshifts on a gt3 gearbox?
what is in your opinion the maintenance or rebuild time suggested for a dedicated track car?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Gus,
I would suggest that you watch that Leh Keen video a couple more times. He's clearly lifting and clutching on his upshifts. However, one of the advanced skillsets of racecraft is throttle modulation. Look at what Leh is doing there, he's lifting, but he's not coming all the way off the throttle. He's just relaxing it a little bit. He's preventing the revs from dropping very much, but they do drop.

You aren't going to get it out of gear if you don't release the load and tension on the slider. With a dog box, just lifting a little bit is enough to release that load and get out of gear. But on a synchro box, you really do need the aid of the clutch to make that shift. You can flat foot shift if you want on the throttle side of it, but the clutch is needed as a key part of the process.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
Gus,
I would suggest that you watch that Leh Keen video a couple more times. He's clearly lifting and clutching on his upshifts. However, one of the advanced skillsets of racecraft is throttle modulation. Look at what Leh is doing there, he's lifting, but he's not coming all the way off the throttle. He's just relaxing it a little bit. He's preventing the revs from dropping very much, but they do drop.

You aren't going to get it out of gear if you don't release the load and tension on the slider. With a dog box, just lifting a little bit is enough to release that load and get out of gear. But on a synchro box, you really do need the aid of the clutch to make that shift. You can flat foot shift if you want on the throttle side of it, but the clutch is needed as a key part of the process.
Thanks again Matt, I will give it a try with some partial lift, as you say relaxing the throttle, but trying no to drop the revs too much, and yes I see in the video that Leh is clutching all the time, his inputs are so very well synchronized, really great!!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gus, "minimize the drama"...that is what it says on the piece of tape on my dash. Has been on all my cars to remind me as such ever since Rick DeMan told me I was complicating my racing with too many shifts. I was worrying about shifting too much. Forget about the flat shift unless you plan on driving a sequential box like the modern cups and RSR's.

take one shift out of each corner entry and you'll be smoother as long as you're in the power band. If you're not in the band, it won't matter anyway; you'll be getting passed by other racers before you get your foot on the floor.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

To the OP: wait a few years and get a GT3 with PDK. Problem solved.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif997
Gus, "minimize the drama"...that is what it says on the piece of tape on my dash. Has been on all my cars to remind me as such ever since Rick DeMan told me I was complicating my racing with too many shifts. I was worrying about shifting too much. Forget about the flat shift unless you plan on driving a sequential box like the modern cups and RSR's.

take one shift out of each corner entry and you'll be smoother as long as you're in the power band. If you're not in the band, it won't matter anyway; you'll be getting passed by other racers before you get your foot on the floor.
leif997, you are making a great point and you are right, there is a lot more to gain elsewhere that makes flat shift not really a priority, but you have to admit it looks so nice!!... and looking back at me, i have to say that I'm not really there yet,...
nevertheless I'm willing to give it a try and compare... then again you make a lot of sense, and maybe later if I buy a 997 Cup car...and even then your advice is truly fundamental "minimize the drama" or as a friend once told me: please remember the KISS philosophy: "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: Proper Upshifting technique on a 997 GT3