Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fitting of new GT2RS Intercoolers to '09 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
emmo.84
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting of new GT2RS Intercoolers to '09 GT2

Hi everybody, and compliments for the great threads and infos you share!

Does anybody know how difficult it is to put GT2RS IC on a 2009 GT2?

I searched the PET catalogue of both models, and though the RS IC have a good price, it seems that a lot of other parts are different: sorrounding airbox + frame, big Y tube, all rubber tubes, gaskets for airbox... it all adds to a lot of bucks if it is really needed to fix everything properly.
I saw the thread of earl23 about fitting to the 996 GT2, and it is some work.
Plus, does anybody know if the GT2RS IC are that better in respect to normal GT2 ICs???
I know they are better than 997.1 turbo, but what about the normal GT2?
THanks for your help, I'll try to exchange with chassis infos if needed. I race the car with slicks on BBS, MOton Motorsport, lightened car.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by emmo.84
Hi everybody, and compliments for the great threads and infos you share!

Does anybody know how difficult it is to put GT2RS IC on a 2009 GT2?

I searched the PET catalogue of both models, and though the RS IC have a good price, it seems that a lot of other parts are different: sorrounding airbox + frame, big Y tube, all rubber tubes, gaskets for airbox... it all adds to a lot of bucks if it is really needed to fix everything properly.
I saw the thread of earl23 about fitting to the 996 GT2, and it is some work.
Plus, does anybody know if the GT2RS IC are that better in respect to normal GT2 ICs???
I know they are better than 997.1 turbo, but what about the normal GT2?
THanks for your help, I'll try to exchange with chassis infos if needed. I race the car with slicks on BBS, MOton Motorsport, lightened car.
Given the 2011 GT2 RS is, let's say, about $120K more expensive than an '09 GT2 -- basically double the price -- but the differences between the two amount to parts bin engineering of perhaps $10K plus or minus the carbon fenders and whatever body kit changes, you have to expect that the usual suspects will thumb through the PET and create a "kit" to update the 997 GT2 to GT2 RS (engine and suspension mod should be dead easy ... we'll have to wait and see what obstacles and barriers Porsche has put in place to make it difficult to simply change the engine management program to produce the power and torque curves. Once someone puts in the initial research to make it work, I think a GT2 updated to GT2 RS engine and suspension will be a pretty compelling proposition.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed it on my car , I provided the shop with earls write up on how to install , regarding the trimming etc... but they told me they were an easy fit , i didnt go into details with them.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 AM
emmo.84
Track Day

Hi TTurbine! thanks for the answer!!!! Sorry if I'm a bit blind, but I assume you own a red 997GT2 that shows in the avatar picture... and that you have on it an RS tuning kit. So if you did the work on a 997 GT2 and the shop told you it was an easy job, WITHOUT BUYING ALL THE PLASTIC AND PARTS SHOWED IN THE PET PART LIST, it means that the comments of CArrera GT are correct, and that Porsche tries to discourage GT2 in GT2RS conversions, given all the price purchase issue of these 2 cars...
Did you have any chance to see how different the 2 types of ICs are, or noticed any improvement on your car?
Sorry for bothering you with all this... but it's hard time for money overhere, and I'm trying to make focused purchases....
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
emmo.84
Track Day

Just as a side info about the GT2RS, I read everywhere that the GT2 conrods can leave with a maximum of 620 hp and relative torque... so that's why the new GT2RS has different Conrods and they tell me a differente engine code.
I trackdayed once in Monza with a new RS, it was faster, but the owner, who prevoiusly had a modified GT2 was not happy at all and considered that the expense was not worth the difference between the 2 cars.
Here in Italy gt2 price was 200.000 € and gt2rs price is 250.000 €, both cars with minimal optional.
The famed carbon fiber is not gloss finished and honestly not so beautiful to be seen.
The front mudguard are fantastic pieces, but are a 5.800 € option!!!!
So I went for the little mudguard and bumper profiles + the spoiler lip.
About 1.200 € cost, easy to install.
Also trying to order the rear carbon gurney or spoiler attached to the rear wing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Emmo
'09 GT2 intercoolers are same part number as 997tt.1 intercoolers.

People (including Preuninger) say the RS has different conrods and he also says pistons IIRC - I don't think there is a definative answer on this yet as noone has stripped down the RS motor but my guess is that the conrods and pistons are the same as normal GT2 but are matched closer for weight rather than a different design - the torque of the RS is virtually the same as '09 GT2 so there would be no need for stronger rods.

I would just buy the coolers only and get your mechanic to make them fit.

Is the GT2RS PET catalogue available online anywhere ?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Emmo ,

Yes i have the RS tuning 600hp kit on my car and im running without cats.
Ive noticed that the car holds power longer especially in the top rpm range ,

but the problem is that when i did my testing i discoverd later that both my exhaust manifolds were cracked on both ends , this caused the turbos to work harder to produce boost since they are not getting enough pre turbine flow..

On the other hand my car had the same Intake air temperature on a 22 degree day 3rd -4th redline run with the cracked exhaust manifolds.
as it did on a 14th degree day

I just orderd the 2 intercoolers without all the extra parts...If you need any information on where to buy etc please send me a pm
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

EVERYTHING you want to know about this. I have a set on order for a 996TT customer right now...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...olers-wow.html
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
earl3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To echo what's been said, your existing hose hookups and intercooler mounting pin locations should be correct. The .2 core is shorter and thicker than the .1 core so some modification to the .1 ducts has to be done to be sure air gets across it properly. The required duct mods are open to interpretation by whoever installs them -I showed the way I chose to do it in the thread linked above. It may not be the easiest but it works well and provides a good seal. It also may be possible just to order the .2 ducts but bumper integration of the outlets may be off and it's a relatively (to me) expensive experiment to find out -hence my modding of the original ducts.

I know of one 997.1 owner running these coolers with his VTGs and he saw significant temp reductions against several US aftermarket options (so they do fit and work to some extent).
Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by earl3
To echo what's been said, your existing hose hookups and intercooler mounting pin locations should be correct. The .2 core is shorter and thicker than the .1 core so some modification to the .1 ducts has to be done to be sure air gets across it properly. The required duct mods are open to interpretation by whoever installs them -I showed the way I chose to do it in the thread linked above. It may not be the easiest but it works well and provides a good seal. It also may be possible just to order the .2 ducts but bumper integration of the outlets may be off and it's a relatively (to me) expensive experiment to find out -hence my modding of the original ducts.

I know of one 997.1 owner running these coolers with his VTGs and he saw significant temp reductions against several US aftermarket options (so they do fit and work to some extent).
Warranty. Presumably this burns the warranty -- or make all mods completely reversible and, let's say "unobvious."

Software. Has anyone explored getting the GT2RS software (DME maps) to extract that flat-line torque curve and 620hp "area under the curve"?

Gearbox and heat. Aside from the ICs and their end tanks, are there any other changes (different headers might address the cracking?) or TSBs for the '09 that hint at changes for durability and things like heat management (or drive-train fortification, anything except engine internals) in the GT2 RS?

Real power. I'm guessing any mods to the internals would reflect upper cylinder and piston surface temp issues -- this could be a real wallet breaker, especially if someone is silly enough to ask for these points on the power and torque curves running "California water-based fuels" (RON 91 being the most potent blend at the pump.) So the operating costs would call for sourcing 100 unleaded and blend to say 93 or 95 (or just deal with $5-7/gallon to get from 5xx hp to 6xx hp ... so once you've burned your warranty and you're running hand-mix gas, why not damn the torpedoes, get some P's & C's and go for say 800 hp ... something "distinctive." : )
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 AM
emmo.84
Track Day

Thanks a lot for the interesting answers! I'll place the order at the Porsche center where I have somo discount and try to fit the ICs without buying too many other parts.
As fot the PET GT2 catalog, I searched everywhere but no way.
I was able to download on a USB key the Motorsport GT3 pet but the street car is something online or in the Porsche Center PCs and they won't let me download 'cause it's too complicate...
There was somewhere a thread or a site maybe here I don't remember where I was able to get the GT3 and TT parts catalogs... but can't find it anymore!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

So did you ever put the .2 intercoolers on your gt2 ? any loss of power ? boost ? becuse im thinking of changing my intercoolers for the .2 ( cant afford secan )

last thing can you post pictures of your car, i would like to see what you have done.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fitting of new GT2RS Intercoolers to '09 GT2