Porsche Motorsport Cup Cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
My car was driven for quite a few miles exactly as you see it in the photo... minus my favorite yellow blanket - er, I mean microfiber CLOTH!
U Da man!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the comments so far regarding the mechanism. Really appreciate it!

Full disclosure: I did have the center console out of the car for a couple of weeks. Meaning that when I first drove it home from the shop with the new cables, I was shifting with a microfiber cloth over the shift lever (no shift **** - left that at home). So, it's quite possible that I somehow slipped or whatever due to the fact that there was no ****. I can also tell you that the cup cables require a bit more force to move the lever. Plus, the **** adds another 20 or 30mm leverage (height). This may have played into my initial impression as well. I'll drive it all this weekend and report back.
Ah...you will be shocked, shocked I tell you, when you put the console back on. 90% of the new noise will be gone. It is amazing how much the console attenuates the noise from the cable. Without the console there are all kinds of transmission noises, it is crazy.

And...the **** makes a huge difference in shift quality.

Kindly report back after you have made these changes.

Oh PS- driving with console off and with the passenger airbag light disconnected will throw your dash airbag light. Will need a Durametric or PIWIS to flush the error code and turn the light off.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Lar, now your GT3 sound just like a Cup

Something is not right if you can't find gear while shifting! Cup cable will make each shift 300X more precise and you should not miss even one time. Take your GT3 back and have BR check all tolerance and settings. Do not drive your GT3 at current form ... you will mess up your transmission.
lar just learned how to drive manual last year. dont blame him.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's see... throttle, brake. Ummm, what's that extra pedal for?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally put a few hundred miles on the car. More importantly, I got in some seat time at the track. Overall, I'm pretty happy. The shifter is more work. I honestly don't like it, driving on the street. I still occasionally get caught between the gates going to 3rd gear. However, on the track this weekend it was fine. No problems what so ever. It is louder than the OE shifter. Putting the center console and seat back into the car did quiet it a bit, but it's not a comfortable car any longer, what with the GT2 seats, racing brake pads, the shifter and the SW bypass exhaust.

YMMV
Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still occasionally get caught between the gates going to 3rd gear
Lar ... statement above worry me. You are not suppose to have any gear shift issue at all with Cup cable. Can you take her back to BR and have them check everything once over?

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsport Cup Cables