Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is this feasible? RSR engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this feasible? RSR engine

The vendor says it'll slap right on to my 6 spd tranny and comes with an ECU and wiring loom but have to splice a bit here and there.

Just an alternative to a SW 3.9L which I am pretty bent on getting but logistics wise a bit tough being in another country.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin..._for_sale.html
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could make it work but why would you want to for a street car? The RSR ECU isn't programmed for your ABS, or any of your accessories. Besides that, the price is too cheap. Porsche Motorsports gets $80k+ for that motor. You're so much better off with a street designed motor that works with your ECU. 3.9's or 4.0's are very common these days and don't cost much more than rebuilding a 3.6....

WTF does this mean: "checked and programmed in Porsche Motorsport in Weissach". Yea sure, all that for $29k....
Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how much they go for, but the figure given is in Euro.. 29k Euro.. so that's about $40k USD..
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The one thing that I love about the RSR motor is that it uses a mechanical throttle linkage and has 6 individual throttle bodies. While the above make for better throttle response and top-end power, I imagine that it would require a fair bit of work to adapt to a car with e-gas (there is no cable nor linkage attached from the gas pedal to the engine and it would be required to run an RSR motor - I would think there are other electronic obstacles to overcome as well).
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I think those are 40 hr engines between rebuilds....
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think Cup/R/RSR engines are any less durable than street engines.. it all depends on how it is used.. if you rev it to 9,400rpm redline on every shift, than I think you need to re-build at the given interval. If you drive it like the street GT3/RS engine, more conservative redline, and is not run under race condition at all time, I'm sure it will last just as long as the street engine.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
I don't think Cup/R/RSR engines are any less durable than street engines.. it all depends on how it is used.. if you rev it to 9,400rpm redline on every shift, than I think you need to re-build at the given interval. If you drive it like the street GT3/RS engine, more conservative redline, and is not run under race condition at all time, I'm sure it will last just as long as the street engine.
I agree and since the original thread starter is considering either the 3.8RSR or the SW3.9 which revs to 8,800, I would imagine that there is not a world of difference between the two with respect to tear-down intervals.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

OP, how you want this engine to be used? On the street everyday, or a project to tinker with over time?

To make this whole package work you'll have to adapt the ECU, exhaust, cooling lines (yes even those are different) ABS and practically everything else to accomodate the RSR 3.8. The outcome is a frankenstein at best and life will be MUCH simpler if you go with a 3.9L upgrade instead.

Of course your conclusion will be different if you want this as a project, but in that case I don't think you would've asked the question to begin with...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Poland...scary!

Last Porsche product I know of that went to Poland was my buddies 987 that he totaled and deemed so by Porsche. Someone in Poland bought it and it sold as 'new used'
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Hi all,

Appreciate all the comments. The interest came in when I saw the asking price which I thought was kinda cheap plus the novelty of having the RSR engine with everything that comes with it (ITB's). But as you all mentioned, getting it to work with my current set up would be a nightmare so will just opt to go for a 3.9L SW kit in the near future.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking the exact opposite -- put a street 3.9 and transaxle in an RSR roller: race car performance, handling and safety with street car durability and operating costs.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I was thinking the exact opposite -- put a street 3.9 and transaxle in an RSR roller: race car performance, handling and safety with street car durability and operating costs.
I think using the 6spd manual rather than the sequential of the racer would bring better reliability and cost reduction, but I don't see any reason that a 3.9 street motor would do the same when compared to the 3.8 RSR, provided they receive the same treatment (revs, gearbox, chassis, track use, etc.).

Quick Reply: Is this feasible? RSR engine