Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010+ GT3 no more RMS / CEL?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts
Default 2010+ GT3 no more RMS / CEL?!

I just dropped of my car at Champion because the thermostate was stuck open and my engine lid fan was not working. Maybe fuse or fan?

The thermostate is also found on the Cayenne and Panamera and he has been replacing a bunch of them. I did notice that it took forever for the car to warm up!

I was talking to the technician and he told me the 2010GT3 have different case casting with an extra hole in it and he has not seen any RMS leaks in the new ones.

I also ran an overrev report and I have 31 ignitions of Type 1 only. Appearently it IS possible to track a GT3 without type 2 overrevs.. Who knew..

So, at least I get to enjoy a smelly Camry with 40K miles on it for a few days! O well, last time they gave me a Panamera..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-24-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Good to hear (except for the thermo)!! My July build '10 has maintained a clean RMS even though I rarely have the chance to drive it.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

The thermostate is also found on the Cayenne and Panamera..
Well then you know that you could buy it cheaper in your local VW dealer, if warranty was denied: )

I was talking to the technician and he told me the 2010GT3 have different case casting with an extra hole in it and he has not seen any RMS leaks in the new ones.

That would make some sense in conjunction with the alleged connection, between absolute crankcase pressure /crankcase breather / pressure difference and seal leaks but let's give these cars another 6-12 months before we start kissing each other while opening champagnes.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I heard via, via, that someone refered to me as the warranty king?!

He said it had to do with pressure and oil going back in, I lost him, he was to smart for me.
If it does not leak, is it still a real GT3? This might hurt resale values..
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Well I am the "avatar king" with a dozen avatars. It's easy to be any kind of king nowadays.. : )
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
That would make some sense in conjunction with the alleged connection, between absolute crankcase pressure /crankcase breather / pressure difference and seal leaks but let's give these cars another 6-12 months before we start kissing each other while opening champagnes.
My cork is still foil covered and held down with twisted wire. My levity stems from the notion that Porsche is making an effort to try something different to hedge the issue.

At the end of the day, I could care less if my 3 makes a little puddle on the floor. However, I don't like Porsche's generic BS response that the car needs to be driven more when that is clearly not the issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I dunno why I'd be king because I only got 1 new Ti Exhaust so far..

Well I am the "avatar king" with a dozen avatars.
You're not exactly "earning" that status lately slacker

My cork is still foil covered and held down with twisted wire. My levity stems from the notion that Porsche is making an effort to try something different to hedge the issue.

At the end of the day, I could care less if my 3 makes a little puddle on the floor. However, I don't like Porsche's generic BS response that the car needs to be driven more when that is clearly not the issue.
Exactly +1.
I drove my '07GT3 every day 10K miles in a year and it leaked..
Maybe it is all a scheme to sell more '10's? Mine is still bone dry. Weird looking, really.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Slow and Trakcar are Kings!.....me...I'm just a peasent.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

dont jinx it.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If it does not leak, is it still a real GT3? This might hurt resale values..
Definitely an issue. Might be a good idea to retrofit an older RMS.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some leak and some dont. Just the way it is. Now that you bought the album, what you going to do with it b!tch?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Slow and Trakcar are Kings!.....me...I'm just a peasent.
Court jester maybe??? LOL.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just dropped of my car at Champion because the thermostate was stuck open and my engine lid fan was not working. Maybe fuse or fan?

The thermostate is also found on the Cayenne and Panamera and he has been replacing a bunch of them. I did notice that it took forever for the car to warm up!

I also ran an overrev report and I have 31 ignitions of Type 1 only. Appearently it IS possible to track a GT3 without type 2 overrevs.. Who knew..

So, at least I get to enjoy a smelly Camry with 40K miles on it for a few days! O well, last time they gave me a Panamera..
They plugged the wires that are all the way in the back under the interior carpet for the fan in the engine cover; They had fallen out?
they also replaced the thermostat.
I drove it about 70 miles Friday and Saturday. No CEL, but I thought the car ran cooler and took a little longer to get up to temperature, so I thought maybe it never worked right?

Maybe it is in my mind, but it seems the engine runs a little coarser?

Today 2 miles after starting the car another CEL and I dropped it off again at Champion again. Let's hope they find the problem this time.

Still no RMS here. 6K miles.

Today I got a smelly disgusting Hertz Mercury Grand Marquis. What a POS.. At least the left lane clears out quickly..

Quick Reply: 2010+ GT3 no more RMS / CEL?!