Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Skip Barber- Ripoff Report- Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Gotta agree with Bob- BTW, I did several Skippy events (school and lapping at Road America and Sebring) back in the 80's when Skip still owned it. Maybe it's gone downhill after he sold it... have to admit the OW cars we drove back then (Crossle 35's if I remember correctly) were pretty tired but everything worked. Was LONG before HANS etc...

BTW, were you wearing a HANS when you had the belt issues?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, why keep it in 997 forum. I can't imagine the Porsche school in Birmingham - run by Skip Barber is not as safe. Granted I am sure the customer support is the same regardless.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

My primary beef is "don't hold my money when it is supposed to be refunded!" I was told my other course payments (that I immediately canceled) would be refunded. It never happened. Don't lie to me!
yes, likewise, i have a lot of prob with vendors doing that.
credit refunds should be done while you are on the phone. it's very simple. dont pass me from one person to another. if the person cannot make a decision, he should not be answering the phone. we call those receptionists.

i have seen the cars at LS and SP. i, for one, do not rent other's race cars. i have yet to see a car that are prep'd well for rent here in CA. oh, i can name a lot of names..... BIG names with ****ed up rental cars.

i have less issues with car safety but i have issues with vendors using me as their credit line. that's what BANKS are for. and if you dont have a big enough working capital LOC, pls close your shop. it simply means your business is bad enough that you cannot convince a banker to grant you a line; speaking as a business owner and a banker.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL, you spun it didn't ya?

Coming from Savy, I'll take it to the bank.
Why would mods move this?? Thanks for posting!

My wife was threatening something like that for my big four-oh B'day this year.
Whatever I do, it'll be in the trusty RS..
pete, your email addy isn't working.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Can never be as bad as Florida in the Summer...
Are suits required with local PCA, whever you have there?
I'm planning on shorts and ice water towels.
no suits req'd
but most need long sleeve shirts and long pants
but i am sure G-strings would be allowed if you insist
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Yeah, why keep it in 997 forum. I can't imagine the Porsche school in Birmingham - run by Skip Barber is not as safe. Granted I am sure the customer support is the same regardless.
The Porsche school in Birmingham is not run or even associated with Skip Barber. The track "Barber Motor speedway" is privately owned by a local businessman Mr. George Barber and the school is owned and operated by Porsche North America. Great school with fantastic instructors and all new Porsche automobiles maintained expertly by Porsche North America. A real first class operation. By the way the chief instructor is Hurley Haywood.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Were you using a HANS? Were the belts 3" or 4" wide?
I have a similar problem in my FF, I poured a bead seat that lowererd my overall height. By virtue of that the belts lie lower on my body, no longer hitting the bottom of the helmet and hans. The problem is that these formula cars should be fit to the person driving it. THey are not "one size fits all" The new 2" HANS belts work very well with allowing your head to move up and down, but they're limited in side to side movement by the HANS tethers. Typically you don't have a lot of movement, but you should be able to see the dash. I think the foam insert must have made it worse..

PS.. I wouldn't have gone out with these problems, it's very dangerous if you are positioned too high in the cockpit. THe Spec for the SCCA, is that a driver helmet must be beneneth straight edge from the top of the role hoop to the frame postioned behind the steering wheel (next highest point). Even with this I've seen people hurt during a rollover by smashing they're pumpkin, after the roll hoop dug into the dirt and was flush to the ground when they stopped.. Some really good corner workers got him out without injury.

Question: How much of the coarse and lapping did you finish?
If they agreed to refund you, then they should pay up. They make a ton of $$ with those old FF's.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the experience include a leather helmet, cotton overalls and goggles for the full "throw back safety effect?"

Karl
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, likewise, i have a lot of prob with vendors doing that.
credit refunds should be done while you are on the phone. it's very simple. dont pass me from one person to another. if the person cannot make a decision, he should not be answering the phone. we call those receptionists.

i have less issues with car safety but i have issues with vendors using me as their credit line. that's what BANKS are for. and if you dont have a big enough working capital LOC, pls close your shop. it simply means your business is bad enough that you cannot convince a banker to grant you a line; speaking as a business owner and a banker.
John- You are spot on. 100% spot on.

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Were you using a HANS? Were the belts 3" or 4" wide?
I have a similar problem in my FF, I poured a bead seat that lowererd my overall height. By virtue of that the belts lie lower on my body, no longer hitting the bottom of the helmet and hans. The problem is that these formula cars should be fit to the person driving it. THey are not "one size fits all" The new 2" HANS belts work very well with allowing your head to move up and down, but they're limited in side to side movement by the HANS tethers. Typically you don't have a lot of movement, but you should be able to see the dash. I think the foam insert must have made it worse..

PS.. I wouldn't have gone out with these problems, it's very dangerous if you are positioned too high in the cockpit.

Question: How much of the coarse and lapping did you finish?
If they agreed to refund you, then they should pay up. They make a ton of $$ with those old FF's.
Sweeper- the cars I drove were all 3" and I always wear a HANS. You make excellent points and I am in full agreement with all of your observations.

I finished none of the scheduled courses/lapping. My two day advanced race school was the required prelude to the others. It was within two days after completeing that first class that I contacted and requested a refund for the OTHER sessions that were 4 weeks away. I never asked for money back for courses I attended.

Originally Posted by texasviany
Did the experience include a leather helmet, cotton overalls and goggles for the full "throw back safety effect?"

Karl
Thanks for lightening my mood. Nothing worse having to fight battles like this.

Originally Posted by skl
BTW, were you wearing a HANS when you had the belt issues?
SKL- I ALWAYS wear HANS and my Stand21 FIA cert helmet. Why invest in modern safety equipment if not used?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

pete, your email addy isn't working.
Peter@trakcar.com
Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Lol... Mooty Academy....

Learned more about the line and how a neutral balanced car responds to control inputs and especially trail braking. Hard to get those cars rear out under power but easy to rotate on corner entry. Much more sensitive than a GT3 in regards to rotation ability.

Lap times were nothing to talk about, primarily because I could not turn my head at times. And was not comfortable, sliding around the cockpit until an instructor loaned me his personal foam insert. And then I could move my head even less. As I recall the cars are doing 110 mph just before braking at T2?
What did all this cost? I presume it was a one-day starter course. It seems like you didn't get data acq or even video.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The Porsche school in Birmingham is not run or even associated with Skip Barber. The track "Barber Motor speedway" is privately owned by a local businessman Mr. George Barber and the school is owned and operated by Porsche North America. Great school with fantastic instructors and all new Porsche automobiles maintained expertly by Porsche North America. A real first class operation. By the way the chief instructor is Hurley Haywood.
Good to know...thank you for the clarification!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What did all this cost? I presume it was a one-day starter course. It seems like you didn't get data acq or even video.
I was able to bypass some of the usual prerequsite courses due to my previous school and track experience, and I have an SCCA Regional license. So I took the "2 Day Advanced Racing School" list price $3499 (running a special when I signed up, $2800 I think?).

I paid extra to have some pics taken and for a SmartyCam recording of one lapping session. Correct, no data acq.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Your information is inaccurate....PSDS is operated by PCNA and Porsche AG has the final say in what happens there.

As far as the OP: I guess they all are the same. I went to the Bondurant school years ago and while in an open top Ford Formula car at speed I started spinning but was lucky enough not to hit anything, I found out the reason was an oil line that came loose infront of the right rear wheel and oil soaked the tire and the track as well....the pedals had sharp edges that would sever a limb in case of an impact....etc..etc...driving your own set up is always safer IMO.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Default Skip Barber at LS

I completed the 3 day open wheel course at Laguna Seca in December in less than ideal conditions (pouring rain all 3 days). Those cars put off alot of water when you come up from behind in the rain! I thought that overall the course was excellent despite the rain. I had no issues with the car or belts. Sorry about your experience.

Quick Reply: Skip Barber- Ripoff Report- Buyer Beware