997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS Pricing

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Love, love, love the blue and black. Might have to re-wrap again after my CupR scheme gets a bit much..
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Love, love, love the blue and black. Might have to re-wrap again after my CupR scheme gets a bit much..
Did Juan get the RS.....maube I shouls call him.....have the contact info?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome buy, what's the website there so I can get me one too
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
You can remove/swop out John's red gauges. Man and he paid about $8k to have black decals and bits on that car - return on that - umm not much.
Did John change his mind and decide to keep the .1 Orange RS?

Did I miss the pictures
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by kailuadog
I just picked up a great used one with less then 1,000 miles for $119k out of SFO.
Everything I wanted too.....PCCB, Nav, etc....
That is cheaper then I bought a 997.1 GT3 3 years ago.
Times have changed.
A deal like that and no pictures? Amazing.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Did John change his mind and decide to keep the .1 Orange RS?
AFAIK he has hung onto the Orange RS, it's well set up for the track. He's just taken delivery of a 458.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^ LOL,
Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Now more than ever, cash-is-king.
canadians.....

US is credit driven.
cash is junk
u get better MSRP discount if you financed. but of course, your total interest will kill you ;-)
but hey, this is how this country works.
why save.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I visited a local dealership this past weekend, and saw a very nice new 2011 white/red GT3RS and am extremely tempted to buy.

The dealership offered me a $10k discount (on a sticker in the low 150s). Is this a typical discount at this point, or should I be pushing for more? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
10k off 150 is about right.
but asking if free. so push for more and see what you get.
but i will not take less than 10k off on a 150k car.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u get better MSRP discount if you financed. but of course, your total interest will kill you ;-)
Old cash buyer's trick: finance the car and get bigger discount, pay off loan right away.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
10k off 150 is about right.
but asking if free. so push for more and see what you get.
but i will not take less than 10k off on a 150k car.
Thanks, Mooty. I've gotten them to budge a little bit more, but now am thinking about going with a used car ...
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Quote:

Did I miss the pictures
Ordered it, waiting for PS pics. Car not wrapped yet.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Thanks, Mooty. I've gotten them to budge a little bit more, but now am thinking about going with a used car ...
I guess one of the decision points should be how long you intend to keep it. The longer, the more the decision might swing toward new. But considering that a new one is going to be worth 110-120 as soon as you drive off the lot, maybe a used 2011 @ 120-125 makes more sense....and there seem to be more than a few for sale....best of luck with whatever you do, you won't be sorry!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
I guess one of the decision points should be how long you intend to keep it. The longer, the more the decision might swing toward new. But considering that a new one is going to be worth 110-120 as soon as you drive off the lot, maybe a used 2011 @ 120-125 makes more sense....and there seem to be more than a few for sale....best of luck with whatever you do, you won't be sorry!
We all have our own way of walking in circles until we're comfortable to lie down in the same bed. The duration of ownership is "rationalization" -- not rational or rationale. The idea of "amortizing" the capital outlay over the duration of ownership ignores the cost of opportunity on that capital. Own the car for a day or a decade, the capital is destroyed as the ink dries. We're in rare, almost unique, market conditions of impossibly low interest rates and low prices, depressed by shear lack of demand and still some "distressed" sellers.

In the context of thinking about how long the car will be in the garage, the only way to really preserve capital is to lease the car (simply to reduce and amortize tax) which could come into play if the duration of ownership is finite.

The secondary market for the GT3 RS appears to be normal -- '10 cars are a couple of bucks cheaper than '11 (used) cars and the two model years have no intrinsic difference other than residual value, so you can "save" $2-5K (say) at the front and "give it back" at the back-end in terms of resale. I have no information first hand, but I'd suspect that simple lack of demand and short term over-supply are spreading the primary and secondary market at the same time as dragging down the new car sales -- this doesn't hurt any consumer except those insisting upon participating (the human nature of "buy high, sell low.") The only party really hurt by this lack of product management is Porsche itself -- their product is devalued, their customer is pushed away, their dealer network loses profit. There's no upside to this kind of bungling.

I don't know what (if anything) goes through the head of a typical dealership manager, but I imagine they don't want to keep an RS on their books for winter -- this is a time of year to be selling a Cayenne or a Panamera -- simply because they live paycheck to paycheck, month to month and have incentives which focus on the here and now. I imagine they look at their local auction every month or so, write down those numbers and that's all they know. Presumably they look at completed (sold, not just ended) transactions on eBay and maybe they look at a few Web sites like cars.com or autotrader.com and then skew those numbers with their own opinion on what's going to really sell and what's going to sit.

The only way to really save money is to buy a used car from a private seller. Buying new or used from a dealer means you're paying the spread (be it between wholesale and retail or primary and secondary.)

Arguably, planning ahead is another way to really save money. By the time the (rumored) 4.0 RS arrives, the 3.8 inventory will have been purchased by drivers or speculators and these current (clearly distressed) sellers will have been picked off like low-hanging fruit. Perhaps the better analogy is to say the 3.8 RS will be spoiled by the secondary market dealer/trader parasites.

I think 3.8 RS buyers have an "off season" window of opportunity to find their car.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
kailuadog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the 4.0 rs is going to really happen??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3RS Pricing