Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Should have done this

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can even put a lock-able lid on the tray and store all the paraphenallia in there.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
12-13 mpg is good. I think the new EgoBoost F150 claims higher numbers. The new Ford diesel does well according to forum posts. I'm debating a new hauler. Hard to see the sense in $65K for an F250 if the justification is 30% better fuel efficiency.

Where you're at -- with an open aluminum trailer and a (relatively) cheap pickup -- is the sweet spot. Just stay there. Even if you can't resist the madness and get a Cup or (as I advise, a GTL) it's a great setup. The next is actually backwards (big, heavy rig, heavy enclosed trailer, heavy hauler tow vehicle, more expensive, more "stuff" ... not a lot more value.)

The real value is having the track car on the trailer and a box on the trailer that you know has everything you need, so a track day is as quick as hitching up and going ... no logistics hassle of searching around the house and garage trying to find things and be sure you picked up 1000lbs of stuff and junk you need at the track every time (right down to the bloody Windex that your forgot again ! or no paper towels or the charger for the bloody data acq. or the SD card or ...)

Just do a couple of your famous mod projects and you'll be set:
* winch (never know if the car will get back on the trailer by its own power and the clutch deserves better)
* aero nose cone (also serves as a stone guard for the car
* full height lock box (wheels, tools, jack,stand, pads, fluids, parts, race suit, cooler for ice for the coolshirt)
* locked fuel jug boxes (saving $3/gal adds up, not having to futz around at the pumps or have too much or too little fuel in the car for a session ... luxury)
* e-track tie-down and wheel chocks (quick, easy, secure tie-down method)

And getting a day at Laguna while the rest of us are shoveling shi ... snow ... is a one of those "reasons I put up with living in California" things ... : )
Now that I have my well-passed-around 1K lb. steel open trailer, it isn't even funny how easy towing is on the short hauls. 15+ MPG, too, with the '03 6.0 diesel. The big box does have its place when I need to transport two cars, though.

We've got another GTL car coming out of Mat Lowrance's shop for Scott Winders. Scott left us in the mid '90s to go try and kill himself on bikes. He was only partially successful, and still has enough functioning body parts to finally go (four) wheel-to-wheel racing.

Keep shoveling! I love the studless ice/snows I got for the C4S. Looking forward to putting them to good use again on a run up in the next few days. (Though I'd likely rather shovel snow than run Laguna with any of my equipment.)

Originally Posted by AllanJ
My 3/4 ton GMC with weight distributing hitch doesn't blink at my GT3 on an open trailer so I'll stick with my truck. Parking at a crowded Safeway parking lot was nasty yesterday. A dually would be much worse.....or maybe not. Just back up on top of cars in my way I suppose.
With the open trailer and the faux RS on it, or especially the Spec Miata, I don't even bother with weight distributing.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I completely understand as I've had dually's since they started making them. Bitch to store and park, but unsurpassed stability when towing....
Right. I had a big block (454) duallie and it was great so long as you didn't need the steering wheel. If you had to turn, it was all out of ideas. The grip on the rear axle and the wheelbase meant there was simply no such thing as a U-turn and you could "back and fill" your brains out, but the truck and trailer would just arc back and forth in the same 100 foot space.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Now that I have my well-passed-around 1K lb. steel open trailer, it isn't even funny how easy towing is on the short hauls. 15+ MPG, too, with the '03 6.0 diesel. The big box does have its place when I need to transport two cars, though.
My '05 Excursion still gets over 10 mpg (at the pump) towing the 10K lb TPD at 62 (no tickets) mph. Even towing to Reno-Fernley up i80, gaining 8000+ vertical feet (probably a total climb of 12-15K feet with the dips, valleys and passes) the 6.0 (with a turbo whistling like it's very much dead and ready to be rebuilt with 100K on the odo) still turned 10mpg. It also returned nearly 25 mpg on the stretch from Truckee to Sacramento (towing downhill on the engine brake means "99.9 mpg" for miles at a time.)

I'm envious of the stacker and tried to buy one recently. A stacker and an SRD (single rear wheel) F250 with airbags seems like a great way to camp at the track.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Keep shoveling! I love the studless ice/snows I got for the C4S. Looking forward to putting them to good use again on a run up in the next few days.
I like the Michelin studless on the C4S. The 911 is so light, it somehow "swims" or does some sort of "Jesus Lizard" run across the top of deep snow. If I keep up 15-18 mph, it just keeps going (including up 16% climbs) but if I hesitate on the throttle or slow down below about 15 mph, you feel the dynamics change from "planing" to "sinking" and it's all over ... nothing but level ground or a slight downhill will turn the physics experiment equations back to "planing." And digging out a 3200lb 911 is no easier than digging out a 7000lb SUV ...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
jenk12m
Banned

It is a slippery slope, next thing you know you'll be looking for an enclosed trailer with a/c. Tv setup and everything
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I tell everyone the same; Skip all the small stuff and get a 44-48' enclosed trailer and a Dually. 44' fits 2 cars so you can share diesel and hotel cost. See? Saves you $$. Right. Stackers catch to much wind and are tag..

Closed trailer keeps the car clean and no worries about theft at night at the hotel stops and or wherever you have it parked.

I have to unload because it is a work trailer and daily drive my car, but if I did not need the trailer for work and had a dedicated track car, going to the track would be as simple as hooking up the trailer and get gas..

My gooseneck trailer is 7 and a half foot tall with a pointy nose and bubble. Tows better then any tag trailer. 90MPH on cruise 7.5-10.0 MPG if I can only go 70-75.

Dodge Dually Maga cab (short bed) fits in car garage too
Awesome truck!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

good advice. but what if you live in an apartment? some of us do, because we live right in the city.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

You have to leave any tow vehicle and trailer somewhere..

I can't park it for longer then a week or so in front of my house before the neighbours start bitching but I can leave it at my business and brothers house.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
good advice. but what if you live in an apartment? some of us do, because we live right in the city.
MOVE.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Just back up on top of cars in my way I suppose.
jrg knows my parking prowess. i had to circle my box the entire parking of LS just to park it. he tried to save me a space that's big enough for 2 trailers. but i really didn't want to wreck his rig, so i found a spot big enough for 4 trailers and took me 30 min to park. so.... if you see me with trailer, get the hell out of my way. i have taken out a lot of stuff around my neighborhood.

the firestation next to my house, the guys always come out to help me park it and direct traffic, god knows they dont want me to take out the 4 fire engines ;-)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

one day i'll settle down and move to the suburbs. i'd better start saving....
Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
one day i'll settle down and move to the suburbs. i'd better start saving....
saving?
just marry well.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

even better! actually, that's my only hope....
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I tell everyone the same; Skip all the small stuff and get a 44-48' enclosed trailer and a Dually. 44' fits 2 cars so you can share diesel and hotel cost. See? Saves you $$. Right. Stackers catch to much wind and are tag..

Closed trailer keeps the car clean and no worries about theft at night at the hotel stops and or wherever you have it parked.

I have to unload because it is a work trailer and daily drive my car, but if I did not need the trailer for work and had a dedicated track car, going to the track would be as simple as hooking up the trailer and get gas..

My gooseneck trailer is 7 and a half foot tall with a pointy nose and bubble. Tows better then any tag trailer. 90MPH on cruise 7.5-10.0 MPG if I can only go 70-75.

Dodge Dually Maga cab (short bed) fits in car garage too
Awesome truck!
+1 and I gotta say...

With an enclosed I could:
A) Leave the car in "there" between track events, sometimes
B) Use the trailer as an extra "indoor" parking space in winter so that I could park my dd in the garage and not have to clear the snow so much

Quick Reply: Should have done this